Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1646258 - 07/18/05 06:43 PM Practicing quietly
Artychoke Offline

We would like to figure out a way to practice without upsetting the neighbors and family members. I am looking for a peice of equipment that we can plug out output jacks into, and have music input so we can practice to our favorite songs. In addition we can plug our headphones into it so we are essentially practicing as a band silently. Anyone know of such a device?

#1646259 - 07/18/05 07:38 PM Re: Practicing quietly
shniggens Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Denvoid, CO
Get a headphone amp.

#1646260 - 07/19/05 08:50 AM Re: Practicing quietly
Botch. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ogden, Utard
Small mixer with a headphone amp, as Shniggens mentioned above. Does your drummer play acoustics or electronics? That may be the limiting factor.

I used to believe both guitarists and drummers had to play at a certain volume to "get into it". A couple years ago I auditioned with a SLC band called "Zion Tribe", an excellent group of musicians. The drummer just smoked, but he did it at a volume so low that everyone sang acoustically during rehearsals, no mics set up at all. Wish I'd made the cut...

#1646261 - 07/24/05 09:06 PM Re: Practicing quietly
Dr. Ellwood Offline
10k Club

Loc: MoTown
You sure can... the guys know this works .. and I would not worry about your drummer too much either ..my drummer says he can practice most of his stuff using a practice pad or just his sticks on his legs or a magazine! but you know one good thing to do is have practice sessions that just work on vocals using only one acoustic guitar and all the rest voice! you can solidify your harmony parts ..do some critical listening ..and tape your rehersals too. Good luck.