Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1646206 - 07/15/05 09:29 AM Outdoor gig, no platform, electrocution possible?
alcohol_ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Boston, MA USA
We're playing an out door gig under a tent. We were supposed to get a platform, now they've taken it out of their budget.

How dangerous is it playing on the ground or on asphalt?

#1646207 - 07/15/05 03:26 PM Re: Outdoor gig, no platform, electrocution possible?
60hurts Offline

I've never had problems on asphalt, on grass, yes. Because grass has moisture in it and moisture and electricity do not mix. Playing an electric guitar and singing into a mic is bad enough on a wooden stage. On grass it can be lethal. I've been shocked many times (nothing serious), but haven't been since I've been using a wireless transmitter on the guitar. That is now the sole reason I use a wireless system. That's not to say you're save touching a mic when standing on grass!!!!
This has been my own experience...do NOT see this as any endorsement for any procedure to use to keep yourself safe!

#1646208 - 07/15/05 06:20 PM Re: Outdoor gig, no platform, electrocution possible?
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
I always use one of those automatic isolating plug-things for agricultural or garden power tools.

This has been since Leslie Harvey of Stone The Crows was electrocuted on stage - and remember, we have 240 volts over here.

Geoff

#1646209 - 07/16/05 05:05 AM Re: Outdoor gig, no platform, electrocution possible?
BluesWithoutBlame Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Oslo. Norway
Yeah, it can be dangerous. Maybe someone ought to supply (if you need it for the gig, talk to the promoter and see if you can get reimbursed?) at the very least, power strips with GFCI (Ground fault interrupter...that trip a circuit breaker at any significant surges).

I've gotten 110vac shocks once playing in a basement when I was touching the strings on my guitar and leaned up against a support beam.

If you did like electicians do, you'd have to play with the back of your hand :-) so it wouldn't make you grab the source (the neck) of the guitar...OR you could only play slide and have the slide wired up to ground :-)

Seriously, I wouldn't do it. Maybe make a call to the local fire department or something (they may know how dangerous it is)..

When I first read the thread, from the subject line I thought maybe you were planning to get rid of a bassist or the lead singer!

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,
but not in practice."

#1646210 - 07/16/05 10:26 AM Re: Outdoor gig, no platform, electrocution possible?
alcohol_ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Boston, MA USA
They have changed their minds after I mentioned the possibility of electrocution and are providing a wooden platform. I'm going to bring some rugs to put over it and check out those Ground Fault Interupters.

thanks guys

#1646211 - 07/17/05 07:59 AM Re: Outdoor gig, no platform, electrocution possible?
BluesWithoutBlame Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Oslo. Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by alcohol_:
They have changed their minds after I mentioned the possibility of electrocution and are providing a wooden platform. I'm going to bring some rugs to put over it and check out those Ground Fault Interupters.

thanks guys
That's a relief! Good going, I imagine they suddenly saw visions of wrongful death suits dancing in their heads :-)

It's a good idea (that I haven't followed yet myself, and I should as we practice in an old bomb shelter with only two-prong 240v outlets! here in Norway) about teh GFCI. I'm going to get on the ball with that myself.

Let us know how the gig goes and good luck!

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,
but not in practice."

#1646212 - 07/18/05 07:45 AM Re: Outdoor gig, no platform, electrocution possible?
cherri Offline
Gold Member

Loc: N. MI USA
This past weekend we arrived at our scheduled venue to discover a tiny stage outide in the corner of the yard and no cover. It was drizzling.

We commandeered half of the big tent, ran extention cords, moved the drum riser from the stage to the tent, and got everything set up out of the potential rain. It didn't rain after the initial drizzle, but when the owner arrived he was delighted that we took the initiative to move the show under the tent.

At soundcheck, I'm standing in the dirt in bare feet, holding my electric guitar and singing into a live mic. My husband looked at me and said, "You're going to die."

#1646213 - 07/24/05 08:20 PM Re: Outdoor gig, no platform, electrocution possible?
Dr. Ellwood Offline
10k Club

Loc: MoTown
HOLY Toledo Cherri...you GOT to be kidding!!!

#1646214 - 07/25/05 09:05 AM Re: Outdoor gig, no platform, electrocution possible?
cherri Offline
Gold Member

Loc: N. MI USA
Not really, but once Paul pointed out the danger, I placed a rubber mat where I stand and put the mic stand on that. The guitar amps were also placed on rubber mats.

#1646215 - 07/25/05 05:15 PM Re: Outdoor gig, no platform, electrocution possible?
NMcGuitar Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: MD (just outside Washington, D...
My bass player got zapped at an outdoor gig recently. Fortunately he wasn't hurt.
The fool was playing barefooted on the grass - there was an very unexpected bolt of lightining a couple miles off, and he got a bit juiced.

We were lucky.
Take precautions!
\:\)
www.MikesGarageRocks.com