Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1646100 - 06/26/05 03:47 AM Gigmasters Redux
GZsound Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Somewhere in Oregon
I noticed an old thread about Gigmasters and wondered if anyone else has had any experience with using them?

We have been members of Gigmasters for about three months now.

Anybody using them?

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

#1646101 - 06/26/05 11:17 AM Re: Gigmasters Redux
Tedster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I used them a bit. Never really got a gig...seemed like their database (at least in my area) was kinda shallow. I think it's a good idea, but it seemed the gigs they were having us bid on were never a good match for the type of stuff we played.

In order for it to be a good thing, you'd have to have a lot of bands sign up, so it wasn't trying to book your oldies band for a jazz combo luncheon gig. You'd also have to have a lot of potential clients browsing through it.

#1646102 - 06/26/05 03:53 PM Re: Gigmasters Redux
GZsound Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

We have had pretty good results so far. I have been hit with some strange requests, like last week I bid really really high on a gig two hundred miles away that wanted an hour of swing jazz, followed by two hours of "dance music" followed by an hour of Salsa.

We are a classic rock, blues, disco, old rock show band....hmmm. However, I bid so high I figured if we got hired we would be well paid to learn some old swing tunes and an hours worth of salsa..

Actually, I paid the $179 yearly fee and in the last three months we have booked six thousand dollars worth of gigs from Gigmaster..a pretty good return. I get bids about twice a week.

Funny, I booked a neighborhood party a few weeks ago through Gigmasters. A half a mile from my house, with a real estate gal that I see every Friday morning at Chamber of Commerce networking meetings.. When I took the contract over to her, she was embarassed that she had forgotten I ever said I played in a band..and I tell the group where we are playing every single Friday morning.

She paid dearly for her lack of memory..and for using Gigmasters, but we got the gig through them. We did a $1,500 wedding yesterday and we have another $1,500 wedding next Saturday..both booked through Gigmsters so for us, at least, it is a great tool and a good service.

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

#1646103 - 06/26/05 04:49 PM Re: Gigmasters Redux
Lee Flier Offline
10k Club

Loc: Atlanta,GA,UNITED STATES
I think for the kinds of gigs you do Mark, Gigmasters is probably a good deal. We looked at it and it looked like it could be a good deal potentially, but like Tedster said, that it would really depend how many people used it and what kinds of gigs they were offering, whether it would work for an original band.

Glad you seem to be having success with it! We'll probably give it another look once it's had more time to develop.

Radio KIRA
http://www.radiokira.com

NEW CD out April 7th! >> Get it here , or here ! <<

#1646104 - 06/27/05 02:08 AM Re: Gigmasters Redux
GZsound Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Lee, I agree with you. My four piece band that became our current five piece show band was a mostly original rock and blues band and I most likely would not have used Gigmasters at all for getting gigs. We were really more of a typical bar band and that's what we played. I kept the band booked solid for over ten years.

But as a "speciality" band looking for corporate, wedding, festival and party events, Gigmasters has been well worth the money.

We are now knocking on the door of bands that charge four to six thousand dollars a gig and it's tough finding those kinds of gigs, so I am taking advantage of every opportunity.

I have recently bid on three Christmas party gigs that average $2,500 each. I don't think there is any way the folks would have found us without Gigmasters.

But you are right. A band that just plays original tunes requires a totally different sales approach and usually requires building a fan base over time. I'm old and don't have time..I want the money now.

#1646105 - 07/08/05 03:46 PM Re: Gigmasters Redux
way2fat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Egypt
We tried them for awhile. Not much difference, mostly wedding inquires.

http://www.ethertonswitch.com