Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1645325 - 04/07/05 09:12 AM An Update Of Updatish Proportion
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Philadelphia,PA,UNITED STATES
OK, I haven't done this in a while, and I'm not even sure if anyone here even gives a ripe shit anymore, but...
Here's what's going on in my neck of the woods.

We finished our newest album, Dopes For Life, a few months ago, and we were able to hand it to a few "important" people. Don't ask me why we did that—I've always been about the whole DIY thing, and I would have never bothered "shopping" our stuff a few years ago. I guess we're getting older, and the idea of having a little help with distro and tour support is starting to appeal to us. So... we gave the recording to some people who have connections.

This has turned out to be both a good and a bad thing.

We've been getting a great number of responses and a few interesting offers.

On the plus side... we've been getting a lot of positive reinforcement, and I have eaten a lot of really excellent dinners in nice restaurants for free lately. And, if I was into drugs, I'd have been totally zooted out of my mind for about two months. Yeah, it's been like that.

On the minus side, I've had so much smoke blown up my ass, I'm starting to think my colon is on fire.

Basically, some pretty big companies are "interested" in us, which is cool, but they're all just talking (but not acting or offering us anything in the literal sense), which is not.

I've had about 15 meeting thus far, and I'm getting a lot of smiles and "we think you could really be onto something great" speeches. It's starting to get on my damn nerves, to be honest with you.

One really good thing has happened, however—we have made friends with a few really nice, solid industry people who actually want to help us out as friends because they respect us and like what we do.

Last night, we hung out in the studio with one of these guys. I can't mention his name in a public forum because... well... he's kinda famous, and he doesn't want me to. Suffice it to say that he has more than one Grammy for engineering, OK?

Anyway, he came to our studio (at #6's house) and helped us tweak up some drum sounds with mic techniques and hook up some guitar sounds for our next session. He's really into the idea of helping us record some more stuff and getting THAT in front of some of his contacts because he says there are some more people we can talk to who actually will get off of their wallets and help us out in a real way.

So... last night he was at the studio, hanging out, messing with mics, tuning up the room and fucking with sounds.

Holy crap, people... this dude has EARS for years. I have never heard Drew's drums sounding that way... EVER. And the guitar sounds? Jeez. Just forget it. This guy is unreal. Scary, scary ears... We were all blown away. And he is doing this for us because he likes us—not for cash. He seems like a really genuine guy who wants to see a good band get somewhere. And we appreciate it.

He said something really nice to us last night:
"So many bands are a bunch of worthless clods—they can play, but they're ignorant people with no real social skills. They have no sense, and they can't have a real conversation unless they're trying to get laid. You guys aren't like that at all... you're all intelligent and educated, and you actually listen when other people talk. I love you guys to death! You guys really deserve to be famous because the entertainment industry needs more intelligent rockers who can really rock."

I actually misted up a little. That's one of the realest, nicest things anyone in the industry has ever said to us. This guy is my new favorite person in the world.

Oh yeah, he also gave me a vintage MXR Phase 90 pedal as a gift. I don't even really use effects, really, but I'm thinking this one is going on my board tonight.

OK, that's all for now.
More later.
--Sun Tzu

#1645326 - 04/07/05 12:40 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Tedster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wow! How totally cool! Almost got me misted up...and when you guys get your due, us folks here on "For the band" can say we knew ye when!

#1645327 - 04/07/05 05:58 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
jackpine Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Luck,WI
This actually gives one hope that every single person in the recording "business" is not a jerk.

I can't wait to say "I knew you when you were just little"..... :p ;\)

#1645328 - 04/07/05 06:17 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
tnb Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis, In, UNITED STATE...
Sweeeeeet!

Welcome to the next level. BTW, nobody in the business does anything for free. They do it for "future considerations" which is even better than free. It's a show of faith.

#1645329 - 04/07/05 07:56 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Kendrix Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester,NY,UNITED STATES
May the force be with you.

Sounds like it could turn downright fulfilling.

Misty huh. Do I hear a love ballad coming? ;\)

#1645330 - 04/07/05 10:36 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Lee Flier Offline
10k Club

Loc: Atlanta,GA,UNITED STATES
That's awesome, Erik! Can't wait to hear more. And it's more than a little eerie because my band is currently going through almost the exact same thing. It's funny how we've been running in parallel a lot ever since we both finished our first CD's right around the same time. So I have a special interest in pulling for ya!

Hope something works out for you, you guys really deserve it.

Radio KIRA
http://www.radiokira.com

NEW CD out April 7th! >> Get it here , or here ! <<

#1645331 - 04/08/05 07:32 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
cherri Offline
Gold Member

Loc: N. MI USA
Erik, looks like all your hard work is about to pay off. Best of luck to you!

#1645332 - 04/08/05 05:08 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
GTRBass Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca
Congrats...

No, not every person in the music business is a scuzzball. It's a circus of asshats and shaved apes, but then again, so are most musicians!!!

My personal barometer for most industry people is whether they talk, or whether they listen. In my experience, the quieter guy (or girl) is always the one who's the real deal. They only open up to you after an initial assessment of whether or not you're the real deal as well.

The best "pearl of wisdom" I've ever received from a lable dork:

Dork: "I really think you should go and play out a lot and build a big following."

Me: "Thanks a lot Einstein. We hadn't thought of that. So, did you TiVo Sesame Street, or do you have to be home in time to catch it?"

#1645333 - 04/08/05 10:50 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Dang dude, that is so great! When I started reading your post, I thought well, being in the business of making music for money is a trade-off a lot of the time. You play a lot of what you have to instead of all of what you want to, you deal with people you wouldn't otherwise deal with by choice, you watch your backside all the time to keep the show biz proctologists from presenting you with a big bill for services you didn't want rendered in the first place, and you make the best of it that you can so you can have a career doing what you love to do. But you lucked onto a real person with the goods to back his rep up, and he's not only scary good at what he does, he's not stingy about helping people out. Do you know how rare that is, in ANY business?
Congrats and go all the way!!! Jut check in with us wannabees and never-was-beens from time to time, okay?

#1645334 - 04/11/05 10:30 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

OK, just a little update on the update.

Our engineer/producer pal (I'll call him "Mr. Time" because he has a thing for watches) called #6 the day after we met with him and totally gushed about how much he loved us and couldn't wait to work with us. He said that he went into work (at the label) and talked to the boss about us for about an hour. So now the president of a label that is a very close subsidiary of a major label has heard really good things about us from a guy who has worked with him for several years. That's a little scary, huh?

Mr. Time says he's gonna "back-burner" everything else he's working on privately and work with us to put together some tunes to present to his boss. He seems to think he can get something going. We're gonna start re-tracking some songs this week.... with his engineering and production ideas incorporated. Yikes.

The idea is this:
We'll track at #6's studio with Mr. Time behind the board. Then, he will take the digital tracks, dump them (via firewire) into Pro Tools and mix them on his studio's $200,000 fancypants board with the tubey pre-amps, etc, then mix down to 2" tape... or something. I'm sure I have the sequence of this techy crap kind of confused, but you get the picture.

I'm actually kind of opposed to the whole Pro Tools thing, but Mr. Time assures us that he just wants to use it for editing and to clean up any weirdness that may muck up the mix. Since I've never tracked or mixed anything with Pro Tools, I'm kind of curious about what he can do with it, especially since I know he's done it with some of the music I hear on the radio everyday. The best thing is, if we hate what he does (which I seriously doubt), we can just thank him for his time and move on. He's doing this stuff for us because he likes us, which is totally blowing my mind... Most of the time, the stuff people do for us because they like us involves free food or letting us crash on their floor.

So... we'll see what comes next. First session is Wed. night. Yikes.
--Sun Tzu

#1645335 - 04/11/05 11:03 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
doc taz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area (U.S.A.)
This is why I'm putting myself through school. I'm tired of being dumb and useless. (Not that I am, but it's just that I hate being ignored by otherwise well meaning folk. Must be my offbeat streak or something.)

At least, it's also produced a few friends that actually don't care about how weird I get on them sometimes. I can't wait till I really start working, though. \:\)

I'd love to have a guy like that on board for my next weirdo prog/death/experiMENTAL project! \:D Oh, the Phase 90 rules. Cool box.

#1645336 - 04/12/05 11:23 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Randy Combs Offline

Loc: Cedar Rapids,Iowa
Oh My God. You are very fortunate. Best of luck..

#1645337 - 04/12/05 01:53 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
PBBPaul Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wonderful World of Cheese - Wi...
Very cool Erik! Good luck!

#1645338 - 04/12/05 09:54 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Jeff Klopmeyer Offline
10k Club

Loc: Redondo Beach,CA,UNITED STATES
That's very cool, bro.

Don't be worried about Pro Tools. It's just a machine, like anything else. If you trust the operator, the machine is pretty irrelevant.

While I'm absolutely stoked for you, please be wary before signing anything, with anyone. Even a friend. Hell, especially a friend. I know you and your band bros are smart dudes, so in dealing with legit people, no one will object for you to consult an entertainment attorney independently.

The only reason I even bring this up is that I've had friends who were "guilted" into deals after the fact. As in, "What do you mean? We just did this whole record for you, and now you're not going to sign with us? We spent all this time and effort and ou're going to screw us?"

And, of course, they ended up being very hosed themselves.

But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Just because the game is rigged doesn't mean you shouldn't play to win. Go in with your eyes open and head up, and your instincts will pull you through.

And congrats. That's all completely mind-bogglingly outstanding.

- Jeff

#1645339 - 04/12/05 10:01 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
picker Offline
10k Club

What Jeff da Weasel said. Watch out for the show biz proctologists, they [i]will[/i) sneak up on ya. But most of all, good fortune to you and yours. GO for it.

#1645340 - 04/13/05 12:35 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Basshappi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Tucson,AZ
Best of luck to you and your band Erik!

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

#1645341 - 04/13/05 04:10 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
Well, not only were you in the right place at the right time, but maybe you're the right people too!!!

I sincerely hope it all works out for you.

Geoff

#1645342 - 04/13/05 12:21 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Don't be worried about Pro Tools. It's just a machine, like anything else. If you trust the operator, the machine is pretty irrelevant.
Yeah, I'm not so much worried about Pro Tools as I am ignorant about it. I know a lot of weird shit can be done with it, and i know it can make us sound like we've played something that we haven't, so I'm just a little tentative about it... But I'm willing to use whatever process it takes to make sure that we get the best recording possible.

As for the other, business stuff, don't worry about us... I've encountered many different flavors of nonsense in my dealings with folks in the music industry, and I don't really suffer it well. We'll not be forced/cajoled/threatened/etc into doing anything that might compromise our career in the future. Anything requiring a signature will pass under the scrutiny of an entertainment lawyer... believe it. And we ain't signin' shit unless it represents a real benefit to our career.
--Sun Tzu

#1645343 - 04/13/05 02:55 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Danny M Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
CMDN,

I wouldn't worry so much ProTools (or any DAW softare package), so much as I would worry about the operator. It sounds like the man at the controls is responsible, but it seems that many have reported all kinds of temptations to really dink around with performances they don't "own."

To ease your mind, though, it sounds like the real use of it (in this case) will just be for the purpose of editing out extraneous noises between, say, guitar phrases. Sometimes (and to some people), "the little goings on" add character, but lots of folks have gotten used to the sound of "clinically pristine" productions. If this guy really is in your court, he will only go as overboard as you desire him to go.

Enough caution; savor this opportunity! I'm offering a little prayer that this turns out well for all of you.

Danny

#1645344 - 04/13/05 03:23 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Botch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

All those pros and still no one's suggested you guys get a keyboard player? Oh well... :p \:D

Seriously, that all sounds great Erik, good luck and keep us posted!
In Water there is bacteria

#1645345 - 04/13/05 06:04 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Danny M Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Keyboard players are too expensive, what with all the gear they buy, cart around, and blow up.

\:D ;\) \:\)

Danny

#1645346 - 04/13/05 06:43 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Jeff Klopmeyer Offline
10k Club

Quote:
Originally posted by CMDN:
I know a lot of weird shit can be done with it
You know dat's true! \:\)

Quote:
, and i know it can make us sound like we've played something that we haven't
You know dat's right too! \:\)

But it can also be used like a straightforward recorder as needed. It sounds like your kind of music probably won't benefit from being beat aligned, pitch corrected, or over edited. But do stay involved in the creative process with the producer. Unleashed, I could make your band sound like the Bee Gees given a good computer and lots of evil intent.

Quote:
But I'm willing to use whatever process it takes to make sure that we get the best recording possible.
These days, one reason to use Pro Tools in this session could have a lot to do purely with compatibility. If they end up moving to a different room (to do overdubs, mix, whatever), a DAW system is a lot more predictable (and often quicker to set-up and work with) than an analog deck.

It'll all be good.

- Jeff

#1645347 - 04/14/05 10:58 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
All those pros and still no one's suggested you guys get a keyboard player? Oh well...
Haha... actually, one guy mentioned that we should try to sound a little more "techno." I'm not sure he even knew what he was talking about... He was also one of the dudes who was wearing a shiny shirt and carrying a little pharmacy in his pocket. I smiled, told him we'd consider it and let him buy me another lap dance. When I got home, I deleted his number from my cell. Ick.

Quote:
Unleashed, I could make your band sound like the Bee Gees given a good computer and lots of evil intent.
Dude. You've obviously never really listened to us... because that's exactly what we're goin' for.

OK, more update stuff...

Last night was our first session with Mr. Time....

But let me backtrack for a minute.
I didn't add this other stuff yesterday because I was too damn tired.

Tuesday night we played locally at an after-party for this national act (don't wanna mention the name for a good reason that will be clear in a minute)...

It was supposed to be a smallish thing at a local "lounge" that is occasionally rented for events like this. We showed up, loaded in, set up, got sounds and basically hung out. There was another act on the bill, but they were playing on the other side of the room, acoustically. I know, I know... it's weird. But... it was one of those things that is good for a band like us to do at this point in our career. I guess you'd call it a "rock n' roll" corporate event. Lucky for us, they wanted us to do our thing.. and we were getting paid... and the national act supposedly requested us, so... hey... it's all good, right?

Well, we weren't supposed to play until the national act was done their set and made the scene, which was around midnight. I've actually been feeling a little sick (stuffy nose, headaches, etc), so I found a nice comfy couch and tried to take a nap while we waited. I guess I dozed off, because when I closed my eyes, the place was empty, but when I opened them, the damn place was jammed. I got up, and, looking around, I saw nothing but "beautiful people"—starfuckers, basically—hanging out. The other boys were chilling in a little alcove with Avy (the Amazon Roadette) and our buddy, Ghost, who sometimes comes to our shows to help sell merchandise and roll cables. They said I'd been asleep for about an hour and a half. Weird. I knew I was tired, but DAMN. I still felt like crap, but the show had to go on, ya know?

The acoustic act started playing, and, man, that was just awful. It was an all-female trio that was clearly chosen for the gig because of their image, not their sound—three very hot, young girls with killer bodies wearing tiny miniskirts, platform go-go boots and half-shirts... the songs were terrible, out of tune, out of time and just dumb. But... the crowd wasn't listening with their ears; they were feasting with their eyes... These ladies crop up again in my story a little later.

When the three slutty sisters finished up, the national act arrived, post-gig, clearly trashed out of their minds on god-knows-what. The place immediately surged towards them as they entered the room, and the promoter grabbed me and asked how soon we could be playing. I told him, "In about three seconds," and give the gang the hi-sign to head for the stage... Off we went. Avy cued our opening sample, and people looked around to figure out what this crazy crap was... all kinds of weird screaming, etc... ya know, our intro loop thingy.

The national act was right near the door, but they ran to the stage, because, like I said, they were trashed and partying. As soon as we began our first song, the singer from this band (not a very large guy, BTW) tore off his shirt and started spinning it in the air over his head, which was funny as hell... he's really skinny and NOT sexy... but the rest of his band started doing the same thing, and then other people, men and women, who weren't in his band, joined in... I looked at #6, and he was cracking up.. Fu was really playing into it, grabbing shirts out of people's hands and throwing them up in the air. It looked like a damn laundry chute exploded on the stage... Anyway... the singer from this national act kept making an ass of himself by bouncing off the front of the stage and pushing everyone backwards... it was kind of embarrassing... You've seen this dude on MTV, OK? I don't know if he's rich or anything, but he sure acts like it...

People were pretty well hyped up during the set, but I couldn't really tell if it was Mr. Rock Star entertaining them or us... well, whatever. The sound was good, and we were hitting it hard... so.. OK.

OK, so, somewhere in the middle of our set, Mr. Lead singer suddenly appeared onstage next to us with a bottle of wine in his hand and two of the ladies from the acoustic act, who were definitely starfuckers... because that's basically what they started doing with him while we played. That was um.... interesting...

When we got to the end of the set... we basically just started walking offstage. We couldn't tell if people wanted us to play more or not—all kinds of weird shit was going on in the crowd. But then Mr. Rock Star found a mic and slurred, "Hey, you guys wanna hear CMDN play some more?" HUGE reaction... "Fuckin' right ya do... Hey, I heard you guys play an old MC5 song sometimes."

How the fuck did he know that?

Fu said, into his wireless, "Yeah man, we do... ya wanna sing?"
Another HUGE reaction...

We all hit the stage again, and I stepped to the mic and said, "Oh, Mr. Rock Star... do you know what time it is?"

He and Bill screamed, almost simultaneously... "It's time to kick out the jams, motherfucker!"

We played that one... and Fu traded lines with Mr. Rock Star, although Mr. Rock Star basically fudged every line except the obvious one—"Kick out the jams." #6 ended the tune by knocking all of the beer cans off the front of the stage with his bass, golf style, and Bill and Mr. Rock Star were both wound up in a broken mic stand (mine) and a mic cable (also mine.) I think I showed admirable restraint by merely swinging my guitar by the strap as it fed back... Drew, typically, played a long-ass ending flourish and threw his sticks at Fu, who really didn't notice.

After the set, the two sisters of slut were basically naked, and Mr. Rock Star was actively doing some seriously messed up stuff to them, including the nasal intake of Columbian powdered pharmeceutical products from various parts of the ladies' bodies... Seriously, it was a really hedonistic scene. Needless to say, I was kind of uncomfortable, and it was late..

We started packing up. Loading out through that mess was just nuts.

We said our goodbyes and split... At this point, I was sneezing every three seconds and just wanted to go home.

Ghost had followed us to the show in his car, so he followed us home, which turned out to be a good thing, because the transmission in our van decided to take a huge dump on us about a mile from home. Fu and I got in Ghost's ride and went back to the rehearsal spot, got my car and #6's car and came back to snag the gear.

When all was said and done, I was home and in bed by about 4am...

Somehow, I managed to get up at 7am and come to work...

Which leads me to yesterday... I walked around like a zombie all day at work, but I did my job, and that's what matters, I guess. I sucked down Dayquil like a Southern Belle drinking Mint Juleps on a hot summer day...

At the end of the day, I went and picked up Drew, who had taken the day off, and met Fu (who had also taken the day off) to grab great and head for #6's house, where Mr. Time was waiting for us. #6 also took the day off... Dammit, I'm the only guy in the band who worked yesterday. I must be out of my fucking mind. Well, Fu had the van towed to a place that has the warranty on our tranny, so I guess he kinda worked... Thank god for warranties and AAA.

The studio was ready to go, and Drew went in the cutting room to help Mr. Time tweak up the drum sounds. I went in the living room and laid down on the couch for a while, as Fu ordered us some pizza. That's when I rememebered that I needed to put new strings on my Les Paul... No nap for me... I got back up, re-strung the guitar, stretched the strings and tuned up. Then the pizza arrived. I had a few slices, and Mr. TIme called me into the control room to get guitar sounds. #6 was already set with his Jazz bass running through an old Marshall head into an Ampeg 8x10. The head was in the control room, and the cab was in the hallway outside of the control room. This shit was all borrowed from Mr. Time... I don't know how it got to the studio, and, I'm not asking. I can only assume someone lugged it to the studio for him, because I can't picture Mr. Time getting his hands dirty like that.

I plugged into an ugly-looking snakeskin Soldano rig (again, not asking). The head was in the control room, and the cab was somewhere else... I have no idea where. I just tweaked in some sounds that seemed to work. Mr. Time was smiling, so I guess it sounded good. He gave us the thumbs up, and we played the song down. Mr. Time looked at me and said, "Damn... that was tighter than a duck's asshole. Wanna do another?" I said OK, and we did it again. To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between the takes, but everyone else there seemed to think the 2nd take was the best, so that's what we went with. I doubled my guitar parts... and that was it. We're doing vocals another day. I thinked Mr. Time for his ears and effort. I know I don't sound like I'm super excited, but the recording is fucking great... I just feel like crap right now. Drew's drums are ludicrous-sounding, the bass has a kickin' punch and snap... and the guitar... well.. it's my LP through a gazillion-dollar Soldano... the tone is crazy. Mr. Time just has amazing ears.

I drove Bill and Drew to their respective homes and headed for my place. I think I was in bed at 2am. I got up at 7 and came to work today. I have off tonight, and I'm gonna have sushi with Avy and then go to sleep, I think.
--Sun Tzu

#1645348 - 04/14/05 01:48 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Botch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Pretty wild for a Tuesday Erik! Great story as usual.
In Water there is bacteria

#1645349 - 04/14/05 02:04 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Jeff Klopmeyer Offline
10k Club

Awesome, bro.

Sounds like you're doing all the right shee-iit. Also sounds like Mr. Time is a good guy to be hooked up with.

But doing blow off a hot chick's body? That sounds very '80s, reminiscent of my days of playing the Whiskey and the ensuing afterparties. Bleh! No thanks.

- Jeff

#1645350 - 04/14/05 02:35 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah... it was a crazy night. I now recollect it in hazy, still-frame-like moments... Looking back, I was probably sicker than I thought I was when we played, but I didn't know it at the time... I get this obsessive "I must be a professional" thing going, and I ignore my body. But "mind over matter" can only push a person through so much before your body gives up. I can't believe some people actually do this AND drugs at the same time.... without collapsing every other day. There's no way I could do it. You have to be a certain type of person... and I ain't one of them. I mean, I'm a little under the weather, and I'm practically flattened right now. I can't imagine touring every day and partying every night in the midst of a drug haze... it's gotta be harder than doing with a cold!

Ugh... I feel like absolute crap right now... sleep deprivation combined with a fever, a cough, sore throat and a headache... not fun.

BUT...

On the plus side, Mr. Time called #6 this afternoon to gush about us again.. he now wants us back in the studio on Saturday to track a few more tunes for some kind of "industry only" EP, and he's putting us in touch with a few of legal contacts to help us get our ducks in a row.

So... Happy happy joy joy for us... I just need to kick this cold, and I can start to really knuckle down on this shit.
--Sun Tzu

#1645351 - 04/14/05 05:56 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
picker Offline
10k Club

Dang dude, I thought that kind of hi-octane hedonism went out with spandex and big hair. Oh well, I guess every generation needs it's casualties and rehab dudes. Glad you are doing so well with the producer. Break a bunch of legs...

#1645352 - 04/15/05 10:10 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Randy Combs Offline

This story going is a classic rock'n'roll moment. As good as any ZEPPELIN or The Stones ever had. Get over that cold so you can rock on some more without being drained so much.

#1645353 - 04/15/05 12:15 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
cherri Offline
Gold Member

Loc: N. MI USA
What a rollercoaster!

#1645354 - 04/15/05 12:34 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Kris Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Tallahassee, Florida
Great news... Much success on you... I'd be up for hearing a sneak peak of the "PRODUCED" CMDN...Did Mr. Time bring in some nice mics along with his ears and gear?

And you damn right the 80s are back!

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04

#1645355 - 04/15/05 02:00 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Did Mr. Time bring in some nice mics along with his ears and gear?
You know what? Believe it or not, I didn't look. I felt so crappy that, for once, I left the engineering and mic placement to Mr. Time and #6. I'm pretty sure he said something about bringing Neumann mics, but I didn't ask. I know the Ampeg/Marshall bass rig belongs to Mr. Time... same thing with the Soldano guitar rig. I found out yesterday that the snakeskin Soldano once belonged to Warren Haynes of Govmt. Mule, so that's pretty cool, I guess...
I'll post mixes when I can get my grubby paws on them, but it might take a few weeks, as Mr. Time still has to export the files to his Pro Tools rig and do some work... and we're not even done tracking yet.
--Sun Tzu

#1645356 - 04/17/05 10:02 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Rick Hoffman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
Hey Erik, amazing story, man. I've been readin your posts, and I actually do give a ripe shit, can ya believe that?

You work hard and you're real, man. Its about time someone recognizes that, and gives you the opportunity you deserve. Good luck and keep rockin man.

Band site: http://www.finespunmusic.com

#1645357 - 04/19/05 09:25 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

OK, Mr. Time had to skip out on Saturday's session, so I had the night off, which was probably best for me, since I was still pretty sick.

So, I basically had off all weekend.

Then, last night, BAM... back in the studio wtih Mr. Time. I got in around 7:15pm. Fu couldn't make it, but we didn't actually need him for the basic tracking. This time, I paid a little more attention to some of the mics. I don't know the model numbers, but I saw names—I saw Sennheiser, Neumann, Shure and I think there was a matching pair of shiny gold ones that had "Sony" on them. They were hanging over the set in the drum room, and Mr. Time asked Drew to be really careful not to hit those because they cost like 20 grand each.Yikes!

So, we cut three more songs. Mr. Time seemed really excited about the performances.. he got all hyped up after each take, and his enthusiasm was contagious.

We nailed the tunes in about two takes each, and then he sent #6 and Drew away to the other room so I could cut guitars. He set up my Marshall head in the studio and ran the speaker cable to the next room, where he had some kinda old straight Marshall 4x12 sitting. He set two of the "flat-faced" Sennheiser mics on the cab and had me play a little... I swear, in a matter of minutes, he had some incredible sounds happening for me. I played down the tunes, replacing my scratch guitar with this tone. He really, really liked the way this came out... and, amazingly, he only needed me to do two tracks of guitars in order to get a VERY thick tone. I'm not sure what his secret is, but... damn. That was crazy.

We also got to do a really fun experiment with the Phase 90 he gave me mixed with my amp distortion and my Fuzz Factory—we created some really wacked noises... he says he wants to slip them into the mixes in the background. He and I were cracking up like little kids, making these funny Theremin-like sounds by twisting knobs... I guess we sounded like we were having too much fun, because #6 popped his head into the control room to see why we were cracking up and to find out what the fuck was making all those weird noises. Mr. Time and I looked up from the pedal board like to 10-year-olds who got caught screwing around and said, "Nothing," at the same time, and laughed some more.

It's kind of a trip... this guy is about 20 years older than I am, and he's WIDELY experienced in music (not to mention a gazillionaire)... and I'm a hack guitarist/songwriter who basically... um.. does what he does (?) well enough to get by... but we found a great common ground in tracking these ridiculous guitar noises. Mr. Time got really pumped up and said to #6, "Dude, if you wanna hear some fucking high-octane guitars, stick around and listen to THIS guy.." pointing at me. I was all embarrassed, but really pleased. Those guitars are HUGE.

We finished up around 11:30pm, and I was wiped out... but Mr. Time was really psyched about our work that evening. He said, "Great, great work tonight, boys. You are so easy to work with... I love what we're getting here, and I love you guys for being so professional. I can see this doing really well."

We shook hands and split. I was so tired.

I barely remember driving home... I just remember hitting the shower and laying down.

More on Wednesday.
--Sun Tzu

#1645358 - 04/19/05 08:44 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Randy Combs Offline

Hell yeah.. You got it going on for sure. It's gonna happen, man it's gonna happen. One helluva experience I bet.

#1645359 - 04/21/05 11:54 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
typi Offline

Loc: Coast to Coast
I am on the EDGE of my freakin' seat here, Erik----keep em comin'!! Great story, and great 'reporting'(You gotta write a book sometime, baby!). Can't wait for the next installment!

#1645360 - 04/22/05 12:44 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Jeff Klopmeyer Offline
10k Club

Quote:
Originally posted by CMDN:
I think there was a matching pair of shiny gold ones that had "Sony" on them. They were hanging over the set in the drum room, and Mr. Time asked Drew to be really careful not to hit those because they cost like 20 grand each.Yikes!
Sony C800's, maybe?

Quote:
He set two of the "flat-faced" Sennheiser mics on the cab and had me play a little...
Those would be Sennheiser MD421's. A good dynamic mic, often used on kick drums but also cool as a meatier alternative to a Shure 57 on guitar rigs.

- Jeff

#1645361 - 04/22/05 01:12 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I dunno what those Sony mics were for sure, but Mr. Time said they were acquired directly from Sony during some kind of contract negotiation... He also told me that a few really famous people had used them. That was pretty cool...

And I'm pretty sure you're right about the Sennheisers.

Mr. Time told #6 that he's bringing a really cool, old Neumann mic to the studio this weekend to record Fu's vocals. I'll have to get the model name when he brings it.
--Sun Tzu

#1645362 - 04/22/05 01:19 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Lee Flier Offline
10k Club

Ooh, I hope it's an M49!

And actually the Sennheisers were probably e609's. 421's are larg-ish and not very flat, and they are top address mics. The e609's were specifically designed for guitar cabs, they are flat as you describe and can be hung over the amp by a cable without using a stand, as they are side address (the flat part is where the most sound is picked up, as opposed to the end or top of the mic).

Here is an e609:

Radio KIRA

#1645363 - 04/26/05 11:58 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Dam, I forgot to update this thread after the weekend...

OK, first off:
Lee, yes, those are the mics on my guitar cab. Or, at least, that's what they look like, but they're not draped over the top of the cabinet—they're on stands near the top front speakers. Mr. Time did some kinda magical booga-booga to keep them from going out of phase.

On Saturday, I arrived at the studio around 1pm, and Fu showed up at 2pm... #6 and I got the studio ready for him before he got there... Lead singers, man... sometimes Professor Fu needs "ambiance" in order to get his vocal motivation together. Actually, he doesn't "need" ambiance to do his thing, but he gets to the good stuff faster when he has it... So... we hung up a nice indian tapestry on the back wall of the studio and brought in the big-ass sandalwood candle he likes. We also put about six bottles of water in there. Yeah, I know... we over-did it, but we wanted him to nail everything really quickly, so we set him up as comfily as possible given the situation.

Mr. Time was a little late—2:30pm... but that was because he had some industry "thing" the night before, and he regaled us with some great stories (that I can't repeat) about the guest of honor (who is apparently a closeted lesbian with voracious appetites for the pleasures of the flesh). Honestly, Mr. Time is a riot. Oh yeah, he brought his fancypants Neumann mic and a heavy, tube pre-amp. The Neumann was a U-49 (I asked), and the pre was an Avalon 737. #6's eyes went wide and kind of glazed over when he saw the mic and pre, and I'm pretty sure he pooped in his pants...

Mr. Time asked Fu not to drop the mic or kick the special stand he brought for it... He said Fu would be in BIG trouble if anything weird happened to that mic, because it's really old and kind of famous. Fu was dutifully impressed, and I think he backed off the mic a lot because he was a little scared of it. Consequently, his first few takes were a little weak... he was kinda frustrated, and I took him outside for a second. I told him that he should just forget about the mic and sing the way he sings—hit it hard and feel it. I told him he needed to give Mr. Time a real level, and not hold back for any reason. I think I said, "Dude, that's an high-quality mic and a high-quality preamp. It can handle anything you throw at it. Now, just give it a high-quality vocal."
I'm not gonna say he went back in there and "won one for the gipper," but he stepped things up a bit and got into his zone. He tried a few different things with the tunes that he hadn't done in the past, and Mr. Time said he was thinking about trying different versions of the vocals in his final mix.
In the end, Fu ran down all three songs and did all of his doubling in about an hour-and-a-half. Mr. Time kept giggling with me about that diva and her proclivities between takes... But he was good with Fu, and I have to say, the rough mixes on the board sound better than anything we've ever done. It sounds... done... or something. After Fu was finished, #6 laid down a few harmony vocals, which only left my vocals...

Yeah, that's right... I do vocals, too.

Well, to be more specific, I'm the guy screaming in the background on a lot of our tracks. Hey, screw you, it's part of the songs, OK?

Anyway... I had to leave before I could cut my vocals because... um... it was Passover, and I had to go and pick up my grandmother and great uncle for the family Seder.

I'm supposed to do my stuff on Wednesday night. So, nyeah nyeah.
--Sun Tzu

#1645364 - 04/26/05 01:05 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Wewus432 Offline
10k Club

Erik, I had your CD in my car player about a year ago and I played it for someone riding with me, and I said "these guys are gonna be famous in the not too distant future", and that was an easy prediction to make because.....you're so good, and you work so hard. Thanks for being an inspiration to all your MusicPlayer buddies.

#1645365 - 04/26/05 01:40 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Damn... thanks, Wewus.
--Sun Tzu

#1645366 - 04/29/05 08:20 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
_Sweet Willie_ Offline
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brklyn, yo
Diggin' it, mang. Thanks for the chronicle.

Peace.
--Dub $$

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.
Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

#1645367 - 04/29/05 11:03 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
picker Offline
10k Club

Good news is always welcome, Erik. Can't wait to hear those mile-think high octane tones.

#1645368 - 04/30/05 02:25 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
gitfidler Offline

Loc: mobile AL
Erik, you're an inspiration to the rest of us hacks to keep digging in. I'd go along for the ride just to get as far as you are now, -- but we're all waiting for the next step. Keep the info. coming, you're a great read.
Everyone's a bit freaked out by this whole Pro Tools/digital thing. They're afraid it's all a bit mechanical or too techno. Someone asked me recently 'whatever happened to gigging with two SM 57s, a couple of amps and a Shure Vocalmaster PA?' Life was simpler back then. I blame Delco.
What I mean is, when home, and especially car stereos, got better, production got better and so did live music sound. The vicious cycle puts us all on the hamster wheel trying to keep up. Pro Tools invites us closer to some definition of perfection.
I took a demo of my group to a friend who produces for one of the biggest Christian music companies. He sent it back sounding incredible. Says that the main thing he did was run the lead vocals through a tuning program. 'But she sings in tune!' I posited. Showed me.

#1645369 - 05/07/05 05:24 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
martianrebel Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
Erik

Greetings from Mars again. I haven't been on the forums in forever, but whenever I make it back, I always check out what CMDN has been up to.

Congratulations on your success so far. I hope that you get signed to a huge, fat record deal and we can all watch you guys on MTV.

I can totally relate to your attitude towards ProTools. We try to go for a "raw" sound, so that whatever we record sounds like we sound live. I figure as long as we can replicate the recording live, we'll be fine. When we did our home-made demo, it expanded how we thought of our songs, and changed how we perform them now, so I guess it's a good thing.

Anyway... Your last post was almost 2 weeks ago. DON'T KEEP US WAITING!

-(m)-

http://www.martianrebel.com

#1645370 - 05/17/05 07:01 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
picker Offline
10k Club

Erik, what's the latest?

#1645371 - 05/20/05 07:00 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
nursers Offline
10k Club

Loc: Australia
You got some suspense building Erik ;\)

#1645372 - 06/04/05 04:27 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
nursers Offline
10k Club

Still building...

#1645373 - 06/04/05 08:15 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Damn, where's Erik? What's up?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#1645374 - 06/04/05 09:15 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Lee Flier Offline
10k Club

He done disappeared. He's made the big time now, no time for us little people. ;\)

Radio KIRA

#1645375 - 06/05/05 09:36 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Blix, the goblin from the movie Legend, came 'n' got 'im for revealing the secret "Blickum"-dialect in public.

I saw Blix recently, and he was shoulderin' a steel diamond-plate Gibson and smackin' this dirty little $h!t-heeled gnome-guy who was dejectedly packin' a Marshall half-stack through the woods; they both looked like they'd taken a beating, and smelled like Taco Bell and Red Bull...

#1645376 - 06/06/05 09:12 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Randy Combs Offline

I too have been waiting. CMDN, you're story has given me hope.

#1645377 - 06/07/05 02:55 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Squ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Boston
This is all fuckin' sweet. Too bad you won't reveal the rock star who went crazy.

#1645378 - 06/13/05 05:36 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
nursers Offline
10k Club

Hmmm - he's not coming back?

#1645379 - 06/13/05 01:16 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Cozmicslop Offline

Loc: Chicago
He's out on the left coast sipping mimosa from a supermodels belly button.

#1645380 - 06/13/05 09:09 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Cozmicslop:
He's out on the left coast sipping mimosa from a supermodel's belly button.
Damn! Just when it was looking like something good was gonna happen for Erik...

#1645381 - 06/19/05 07:47 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
nursers Offline
10k Club

;\)

#1645382 - 06/30/05 06:52 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
picker Offline
10k Club

Hey Erik, you out there...somewhere...anywhere?

#1645383 - 07/16/05 11:12 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
_Sweet Willie_ Offline
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brklyn, yo
Yo,

Anyone heard from E?!

Peace.
--SW

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.
Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >