Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1645355 - 04/15/05 02:00 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Philadelphia,PA,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Did Mr. Time bring in some nice mics along with his ears and gear?
You know what? Believe it or not, I didn't look. I felt so crappy that, for once, I left the engineering and mic placement to Mr. Time and #6. I'm pretty sure he said something about bringing Neumann mics, but I didn't ask. I know the Ampeg/Marshall bass rig belongs to Mr. Time... same thing with the Soldano guitar rig. I found out yesterday that the snakeskin Soldano once belonged to Warren Haynes of Govmt. Mule, so that's pretty cool, I guess...
I'll post mixes when I can get my grubby paws on them, but it might take a few weeks, as Mr. Time still has to export the files to his Pro Tools rig and do some work... and we're not even done tracking yet.
--Sun Tzu

#1645356 - 04/17/05 10:02 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Rick Hoffman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
Hey Erik, amazing story, man. I've been readin your posts, and I actually do give a ripe shit, can ya believe that?

You work hard and you're real, man. Its about time someone recognizes that, and gives you the opportunity you deserve. Good luck and keep rockin man.

Band site: http://www.finespunmusic.com

#1645357 - 04/19/05 09:25 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

OK, Mr. Time had to skip out on Saturday's session, so I had the night off, which was probably best for me, since I was still pretty sick.

So, I basically had off all weekend.

Then, last night, BAM... back in the studio wtih Mr. Time. I got in around 7:15pm. Fu couldn't make it, but we didn't actually need him for the basic tracking. This time, I paid a little more attention to some of the mics. I don't know the model numbers, but I saw names—I saw Sennheiser, Neumann, Shure and I think there was a matching pair of shiny gold ones that had "Sony" on them. They were hanging over the set in the drum room, and Mr. Time asked Drew to be really careful not to hit those because they cost like 20 grand each.Yikes!

So, we cut three more songs. Mr. Time seemed really excited about the performances.. he got all hyped up after each take, and his enthusiasm was contagious.

We nailed the tunes in about two takes each, and then he sent #6 and Drew away to the other room so I could cut guitars. He set up my Marshall head in the studio and ran the speaker cable to the next room, where he had some kinda old straight Marshall 4x12 sitting. He set two of the "flat-faced" Sennheiser mics on the cab and had me play a little... I swear, in a matter of minutes, he had some incredible sounds happening for me. I played down the tunes, replacing my scratch guitar with this tone. He really, really liked the way this came out... and, amazingly, he only needed me to do two tracks of guitars in order to get a VERY thick tone. I'm not sure what his secret is, but... damn. That was crazy.

We also got to do a really fun experiment with the Phase 90 he gave me mixed with my amp distortion and my Fuzz Factory—we created some really wacked noises... he says he wants to slip them into the mixes in the background. He and I were cracking up like little kids, making these funny Theremin-like sounds by twisting knobs... I guess we sounded like we were having too much fun, because #6 popped his head into the control room to see why we were cracking up and to find out what the fuck was making all those weird noises. Mr. Time and I looked up from the pedal board like to 10-year-olds who got caught screwing around and said, "Nothing," at the same time, and laughed some more.

It's kind of a trip... this guy is about 20 years older than I am, and he's WIDELY experienced in music (not to mention a gazillionaire)... and I'm a hack guitarist/songwriter who basically... um.. does what he does (?) well enough to get by... but we found a great common ground in tracking these ridiculous guitar noises. Mr. Time got really pumped up and said to #6, "Dude, if you wanna hear some fucking high-octane guitars, stick around and listen to THIS guy.." pointing at me. I was all embarrassed, but really pleased. Those guitars are HUGE.

We finished up around 11:30pm, and I was wiped out... but Mr. Time was really psyched about our work that evening. He said, "Great, great work tonight, boys. You are so easy to work with... I love what we're getting here, and I love you guys for being so professional. I can see this doing really well."

We shook hands and split. I was so tired.

I barely remember driving home... I just remember hitting the shower and laying down.

More on Wednesday.
--Sun Tzu

#1645358 - 04/19/05 08:44 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Randy Combs Offline

Loc: Cedar Rapids,Iowa
Hell yeah.. You got it going on for sure. It's gonna happen, man it's gonna happen. One helluva experience I bet.

#1645359 - 04/21/05 11:54 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
typi Offline

Loc: Coast to Coast
I am on the EDGE of my freakin' seat here, Erik----keep em comin'!! Great story, and great 'reporting'(You gotta write a book sometime, baby!). Can't wait for the next installment!

#1645360 - 04/22/05 12:44 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Jeff Klopmeyer Offline
10k Club

Loc: Redondo Beach,CA,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by CMDN:
I think there was a matching pair of shiny gold ones that had "Sony" on them. They were hanging over the set in the drum room, and Mr. Time asked Drew to be really careful not to hit those because they cost like 20 grand each.Yikes!
Sony C800's, maybe?

Quote:
He set two of the "flat-faced" Sennheiser mics on the cab and had me play a little...
Those would be Sennheiser MD421's. A good dynamic mic, often used on kick drums but also cool as a meatier alternative to a Shure 57 on guitar rigs.

- Jeff

#1645361 - 04/22/05 01:12 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I dunno what those Sony mics were for sure, but Mr. Time said they were acquired directly from Sony during some kind of contract negotiation... He also told me that a few really famous people had used them. That was pretty cool...

And I'm pretty sure you're right about the Sennheisers.

Mr. Time told #6 that he's bringing a really cool, old Neumann mic to the studio this weekend to record Fu's vocals. I'll have to get the model name when he brings it.
--Sun Tzu

#1645362 - 04/22/05 01:19 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Lee Flier Offline
10k Club

Loc: Atlanta,GA,UNITED STATES
Ooh, I hope it's an M49!

And actually the Sennheisers were probably e609's. 421's are larg-ish and not very flat, and they are top address mics. The e609's were specifically designed for guitar cabs, they are flat as you describe and can be hung over the amp by a cable without using a stand, as they are side address (the flat part is where the most sound is picked up, as opposed to the end or top of the mic).

Here is an e609:

Radio KIRA
http://www.radiokira.com

NEW CD out April 7th! >> Get it here , or here ! <<

#1645363 - 04/26/05 11:58 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Dam, I forgot to update this thread after the weekend...

OK, first off:
Lee, yes, those are the mics on my guitar cab. Or, at least, that's what they look like, but they're not draped over the top of the cabinet—they're on stands near the top front speakers. Mr. Time did some kinda magical booga-booga to keep them from going out of phase.

On Saturday, I arrived at the studio around 1pm, and Fu showed up at 2pm... #6 and I got the studio ready for him before he got there... Lead singers, man... sometimes Professor Fu needs "ambiance" in order to get his vocal motivation together. Actually, he doesn't "need" ambiance to do his thing, but he gets to the good stuff faster when he has it... So... we hung up a nice indian tapestry on the back wall of the studio and brought in the big-ass sandalwood candle he likes. We also put about six bottles of water in there. Yeah, I know... we over-did it, but we wanted him to nail everything really quickly, so we set him up as comfily as possible given the situation.

Mr. Time was a little late—2:30pm... but that was because he had some industry "thing" the night before, and he regaled us with some great stories (that I can't repeat) about the guest of honor (who is apparently a closeted lesbian with voracious appetites for the pleasures of the flesh). Honestly, Mr. Time is a riot. Oh yeah, he brought his fancypants Neumann mic and a heavy, tube pre-amp. The Neumann was a U-49 (I asked), and the pre was an Avalon 737. #6's eyes went wide and kind of glazed over when he saw the mic and pre, and I'm pretty sure he pooped in his pants...

Mr. Time asked Fu not to drop the mic or kick the special stand he brought for it... He said Fu would be in BIG trouble if anything weird happened to that mic, because it's really old and kind of famous. Fu was dutifully impressed, and I think he backed off the mic a lot because he was a little scared of it. Consequently, his first few takes were a little weak... he was kinda frustrated, and I took him outside for a second. I told him that he should just forget about the mic and sing the way he sings—hit it hard and feel it. I told him he needed to give Mr. Time a real level, and not hold back for any reason. I think I said, "Dude, that's an high-quality mic and a high-quality preamp. It can handle anything you throw at it. Now, just give it a high-quality vocal."
I'm not gonna say he went back in there and "won one for the gipper," but he stepped things up a bit and got into his zone. He tried a few different things with the tunes that he hadn't done in the past, and Mr. Time said he was thinking about trying different versions of the vocals in his final mix.
In the end, Fu ran down all three songs and did all of his doubling in about an hour-and-a-half. Mr. Time kept giggling with me about that diva and her proclivities between takes... But he was good with Fu, and I have to say, the rough mixes on the board sound better than anything we've ever done. It sounds... done... or something. After Fu was finished, #6 laid down a few harmony vocals, which only left my vocals...

Yeah, that's right... I do vocals, too.

Well, to be more specific, I'm the guy screaming in the background on a lot of our tracks. Hey, screw you, it's part of the songs, OK?

Anyway... I had to leave before I could cut my vocals because... um... it was Passover, and I had to go and pick up my grandmother and great uncle for the family Seder.

I'm supposed to do my stuff on Wednesday night. So, nyeah nyeah.
--Sun Tzu

#1645364 - 04/26/05 01:05 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Wewus432 Offline
10k Club

Erik, I had your CD in my car player about a year ago and I played it for someone riding with me, and I said "these guys are gonna be famous in the not too distant future", and that was an easy prediction to make because.....you're so good, and you work so hard. Thanks for being an inspiration to all your MusicPlayer buddies.

#1645365 - 04/26/05 01:40 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Damn... thanks, Wewus.
--Sun Tzu

#1645366 - 04/29/05 08:20 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
_Sweet Willie_ Offline
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brklyn, yo
Diggin' it, mang. Thanks for the chronicle.

Peace.
--Dub $$

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.
Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

#1645367 - 04/29/05 11:03 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Good news is always welcome, Erik. Can't wait to hear those mile-think high octane tones.

#1645368 - 04/30/05 02:25 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
gitfidler Offline

Loc: mobile AL
Erik, you're an inspiration to the rest of us hacks to keep digging in. I'd go along for the ride just to get as far as you are now, -- but we're all waiting for the next step. Keep the info. coming, you're a great read.
Everyone's a bit freaked out by this whole Pro Tools/digital thing. They're afraid it's all a bit mechanical or too techno. Someone asked me recently 'whatever happened to gigging with two SM 57s, a couple of amps and a Shure Vocalmaster PA?' Life was simpler back then. I blame Delco.
What I mean is, when home, and especially car stereos, got better, production got better and so did live music sound. The vicious cycle puts us all on the hamster wheel trying to keep up. Pro Tools invites us closer to some definition of perfection.
I took a demo of my group to a friend who produces for one of the biggest Christian music companies. He sent it back sounding incredible. Says that the main thing he did was run the lead vocals through a tuning program. 'But she sings in tune!' I posited. Showed me.

#1645369 - 05/07/05 05:24 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
martianrebel Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
Erik

Greetings from Mars again. I haven't been on the forums in forever, but whenever I make it back, I always check out what CMDN has been up to.

Congratulations on your success so far. I hope that you get signed to a huge, fat record deal and we can all watch you guys on MTV.

I can totally relate to your attitude towards ProTools. We try to go for a "raw" sound, so that whatever we record sounds like we sound live. I figure as long as we can replicate the recording live, we'll be fine. When we did our home-made demo, it expanded how we thought of our songs, and changed how we perform them now, so I guess it's a good thing.

Anyway... Your last post was almost 2 weeks ago. DON'T KEEP US WAITING!

-(m)-

http://www.martianrebel.com

#1645370 - 05/17/05 07:01 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
picker Offline
10k Club

Erik, what's the latest?

#1645371 - 05/20/05 07:00 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
nursers Offline
10k Club

Loc: Australia
You got some suspense building Erik ;\)

#1645372 - 06/04/05 04:27 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
nursers Offline
10k Club

Still building...

#1645373 - 06/04/05 08:15 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Caevan O'Shite Online   content
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Damn, where's Erik? What's up?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#1645374 - 06/04/05 09:15 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Lee Flier Offline
10k Club

Loc: Atlanta,GA,UNITED STATES
He done disappeared. He's made the big time now, no time for us little people. ;\)

Radio KIRA
http://www.radiokira.com

NEW CD out April 7th! >> Get it here , or here ! <<

#1645375 - 06/05/05 09:36 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
20k Club

Blix, the goblin from the movie Legend, came 'n' got 'im for revealing the secret "Blickum"-dialect in public.

I saw Blix recently, and he was shoulderin' a steel diamond-plate Gibson and smackin' this dirty little $h!t-heeled gnome-guy who was dejectedly packin' a Marshall half-stack through the woods; they both looked like they'd taken a beating, and smelled like Taco Bell and Red Bull...

#1645376 - 06/06/05 09:12 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Randy Combs Offline

Loc: Cedar Rapids,Iowa
I too have been waiting. CMDN, you're story has given me hope.

#1645377 - 06/07/05 02:55 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Squ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Boston
This is all fuckin' sweet. Too bad you won't reveal the rock star who went crazy.

#1645378 - 06/13/05 05:36 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
nursers Offline
10k Club

Hmmm - he's not coming back?

#1645379 - 06/13/05 01:16 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
Cozmicslop Offline

Loc: Chicago
He's out on the left coast sipping mimosa from a supermodels belly button.

#1645380 - 06/13/05 09:09 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
20k Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Cozmicslop:
He's out on the left coast sipping mimosa from a supermodel's belly button.
Damn! Just when it was looking like something good was gonna happen for Erik...

#1645381 - 06/19/05 07:47 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
nursers Offline
10k Club

;\)

#1645382 - 06/30/05 06:52 AM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
picker Offline
10k Club

Hey Erik, you out there...somewhere...anywhere?

#1645383 - 07/16/05 11:12 PM Re: An Update Of Updatish Proportion
_Sweet Willie_ Offline
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brklyn, yo
Yo,

Anyone heard from E?!

Peace.
--SW

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.
Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2