Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1626519 - 03/27/01 03:54 PM Do cover bands ever have to pay royalties?
aframe9999_dup1 Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, UNITED STATE...
I've never understood this question. When your basic local bar band plays 4 sets of all the classic rock tunes at Joe's tavern or whatever, how come they don't have to get permission or pay any royalties or licsencing (sp...)? or are they technically supposed to?

What about when your basic bar band records a demo in a studio for promotion with snippits of 10 covers?

What about when somebody like Van Halen or somebody bursts into 'Been a long time since I rock n rolled' at madison square garden?

How does all this stuff sort out?

I just DON'T KNOW!!!!!

My Band:
http://www.encoreentertainment.net/rockcandy.htm

#1626520 - 03/28/01 03:15 PM Re: Do cover bands ever have to pay royalties?
Doctor Al Offline

Loc: ,,US
this has been a gray area. There are bills in Congress currently addressing situations like this. My guess is that the proprietor of each establishment may have to pay BMU/ASCAP a blanket fee to host live music in his establishment. They're trying to get restaurants that have piped music to pay a fee. I think THATS ludicrous, myself.

#1626521 - 03/28/01 04:25 PM Re: Do cover bands ever have to pay royalties?
Anderton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

>.My guess is that the proprietor of each establishment may have to pay BMU/ASCAP a blanket fee to host live music in his establishment. <<

In theory, that's the case. However, not all organizations do...sometimes they get caught, more often not.

#1626522 - 03/30/01 01:45 AM Re: Do cover bands ever have to pay royalties?
kudyba Offline
Gold Member

Loc: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by aframe9999:
I've never understood this question. When your basic local bar band plays 4 sets of all the classic rock tunes at Joe's tavern or whatever, how come they don't have to get permission or pay any royalties or licsencing (sp...)? or are they technically supposed to?

The bar/establishment pays (or is supposed to pay) a fee to the 3 PRS' (SESAC, BMI & ASCAP). As of 1998, there are a few exceptions, which you can see from this link at the BMI site.

Quote:
What about when your basic bar band records a demo in a studio for promotion with snippits of 10 covers?

I just DON'T KNOW!!!!!

Don't worry about it. I'm not a lawyer, but the worst case scenario is that you'd probably get a cease & desist which I highly doubt. You're not selling the CD/cassettes, RIGHT? Then don't worry about it. In fact, as a treat to your fans, I've heard of other bands make copies of a few of their most popular covers and simply give them away, e.g., for a contest or subscribing to an email/snail mail list, or a Christmas present. Although that is probably a little more on the "darker side" of a gray line, it's a great PR tool.

Now go make that demo before some wannabe DJ takes all of your gigs!

#1626523 - 03/30/01 01:17 PM Re: Do cover bands ever have to pay royalties?
aframe9999_dup1 Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, UNITED STATE...
Thanks gang. That makes a lot of sense. I've been playing clubs a long time and have played Brown Eyed Girl 14,000 times and have never paid anything to anybody. And I was pretty sure none of my comrades ever had either.

Very Interesting

My Band:
http://www.encoreentertainment.net/rockcandy.htm