Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1626490 - 03/05/01 07:05 PM All good things.....
Doctor Al Offline

Loc: ,,US
Much to my critics' delight hereabouts, this folder will close as of March 31st, due to cutbacks and the underwhelming response (which I kind of enjoyed-only the discerning need apply!)
If I, in my lack of sentimentality, at that time forget to thank all of the positive participants herein, let this post suffice. I, myself, learned a great deal in here, the least of which is not to argue about Napster. This does not affect my column in print in EQ (not yet, at least) so if you enjoy my kurmudgeonly rants, there'll still be there once a month in ink.
Thanks to Marty Porter & Mitch Gallagher for putting me in this piece of real estate for a year - it was an eye-opening experience.
If there's any stray questions from lurkers, I'd say NOW is a good time to get them off your chest..... You guys (and gals) are the best !!!!!!

Respectfully,
al kooper

#1626491 - 03/06/01 01:06 AM Re: All good things.....
m2 Offline

Loc: here
Well that's a drag. I never posted here, but I checked it out all the time. Lots of good stuff Doctor Al. Glad your column will continue. The only question I might have, is, why does the music business suck so much?

Thanks and respect,
Macle

This message has been edited by macle96@yahoo.com on 03-05-2001 at 10:09 PM

#1626492 - 03/06/01 01:17 AM Re: All good things.....
JP_dup5 Offline

Loc: Alpharetta,GA,UNITED STATES
Hey Al, That is sad news...but life is full of goodbyes.
This is the first board I check when I come on. I know that if someone posted something here, it was worth checking into.
Seeya in the magazines.
jp
P.S. this will remain my opening point...

#1626493 - 03/06/01 01:52 AM Re: All good things.....
KidCharlemagne Offline

Loc: charlestown,MA,UNITED STATES
Dr. Al, sorry the forum was so underutilized. i always checked for some buzz here but agree that it seemed not quite realized. i am ginning up to be a gigging fool but not quite there yet. i hope you'll be available for the likes of us folks when we do have a burning question. btw, i understand that you're at Berklee, so did you catch the boston globe magazine. some dude says the next new thing is rock bands doing small shows in people's living rooms. what do you think?

#1626494 - 03/06/01 01:21 PM Re: All good things.....
PlatEar1@aol.com_dup1 Offline

Loc: ,,UNITED STATES
Sorry to hear this forum is ending. I've always enjoyed coming here and learning.....and occasionally adding my own two cents. Be cool.

#1626495 - 03/06/01 04:37 PM Re: All good things.....
Chip McDonald Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Augusta, Ga. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Al:
Much to my critics' delight hereabouts, this folder will close as of March 31st, due to cutbacks and the underwhelming response (which I kind of enjoyed-only the discerning need apply!)

Hmm. "Cutbacks"?

If there's any stray questions from lurkers, I'd say NOW is a good time to get them off your chest..... You guys (and gals) are the best !!!!!!

I've always wanted to know if you've ever been seen in the same room with Jeff Lynne?

Keep the EQ column going...

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

#1626496 - 03/06/01 06:15 PM Re: All good things.....
SeanP Offline

Loc: Greensboro/Charlotte,NC
Man that's not so good, I wanted to learn all I can. Oh well I guess ??????????? I don't know.

#1626497 - 03/07/01 01:16 AM Re: All good things.....
Extreme Mixing Offline

Loc: Van Nuys ,CA,UNITED STATES
Al,

Sorry, but this is my first time in your "room". When I was 11 or 12 my brother bought the Introducing Shuggie Otis record. It changed my life. In algebra, all I could hear was Can't Find My Way Back Home and all those great blues guitar tunes. Wow!

Thanks.

Steve Shepherd

#1626498 - 03/07/01 01:56 AM Re: All good things.....
Tedster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, really a shame... but we'll be reading the column. And thanks for all the info you shared.

#1626499 - 03/07/01 04:39 PM Re: All good things.....
mrboxofhair Offline

Loc: Pasadena,CA,UNITED STATES
Al,

Well that really sucks. So what if other folders within this whole deal get more responses? Who said that volume accounts for more than QUALITY?! What kind of world are we living in, when a revered musical genius can not be allowed to speak his mind in an open forum?! I am sure they will replace this bastion of professional integrity with some wildly profane and strictly malicious folder, where some obsequious malcontent is allowed to rant about how Rap isn't getting the respect it deserves. Indeed, yet another atavistic endeavor.

Here's to freedom, great ideas and quality in music production! God Bless America, and God Bless Al Kooper: The Musicians Musician!

#1626500 - 03/08/01 11:31 AM Re: All good things.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Al, I've been digging you since you were with Dylan. Thanks for your intelligence, honesty, and your delightfully annoying viewpoints. If they ever can your column, my subscription is gone!

The Night Time, That's the Right Time!

#1626501 - 03/09/01 07:23 PM Re: All good things.....
kent_powell@palmercay.com Offline

Loc: Irving,TX,UNITED STATES
Thanks for being here! You'll be missed! Now, what I'd
like to know is...

What's Nils Lofgren really like? (Tee-hee!)

Luv ya, Doc! See ya in the funny papers!

#1626502 - 03/10/01 12:09 AM Re: All good things.....
Punchmo Offline

Loc: PA,
With lots of respect...good bye Al I'll be looking froward to reading the hard copy from now on.
sp

#1626503 - 03/10/01 04:26 PM Re: All good things.....
Uh Clem Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
I must protest as well - quantity does not equal quality - there's a bit of spice to the direction of this forum that the others don't provide.

Everybody, I'm sure, has a Forum in mind, they could live without - I think it is truely diminishing to the EQ Board to remove this one.

#1626504 - 03/20/01 04:09 PM Re: All good things.....
JohnBartus Offline

Loc: Marathon, FL, USA
Losing this forum will indeed suck. I didn't post here that often, but I enjoyed the threads and was a semi-frequent lurker. The Napster debates were quite illuminating about many people's states of mind, and I certainly enjoyed your perspective on the "biz." I've also enjoyed your work on some of my favorite music of all time -- thanks.

It reminds me of when AOL pulled the plug on Craig's first incarnation of SSS a few years ago, citing similar reasons. I thought -- perhaps foolishly -- that MusicPlayer would actually be committed to keeping ALL these forums going, regardless of numbers of posts. It's a damn shame that this site has to reflect the real music industry: real musical people like Dr. Al get pushed aside to make room for extraneous noise.

Wishing you all the best...

------------------
John Bartus
Radio Active Productions
We Make Great Radio Happen - Guaranteed.
1-888-93-RADIO
http://www.radioactivedigital.com
http://www.cdbaby.com/bartus
http://www.radioactivedigital.com

#1626505 - 03/20/01 04:14 PM Re: All good things.....
Lee Flier Offline
10k Club

Loc: Atlanta,GA,UNITED STATES
Yeah I agree, Steve and John.

Actually I think Al is really kind of an underutilized resource around here. More people need to know about some of the shit he's learned the hard way. Maybe some people just don't like hearing the truth about the record biz?

--Lee

Radio KIRA
http://www.radiokira.com

NEW CD out April 7th! >> Get it here , or here ! <<

#1626506 - 03/21/01 01:57 AM Re: All good things.....
soapbox Offline
Original Forumite
MP Hall of Fame Member

What a drag! You'll be missed! Pleeeeez don't drop the print column!!!

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

#1626507 - 03/21/01 09:48 PM Re: All good things.....
Gee Offline

Loc: Kingston,Jamaica
Ok this sucks i'm about to get up and going and you pull the plug!!?? Al love you ink in Eq Gotten quite a few laughs of course add in the wealth of info that one cannot be taught in a school and it's priceless. I hope M player will consider and look to the future. People new and upcoming will need BBS's like this one. Stay Cool!!
Gee
Podium Recordings!!

#1626508 - 03/23/01 05:02 PM Re: All good things.....
Tiny G Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Thanks Al for all your time and insights.

------------------
Tiny G

#1626509 - 03/24/01 07:13 PM Re: All good things.....
onejazzyz@juno.com Offline

Loc: Miramar,FL,UNITED STATES
Greetings Doc Al

Geez! would you like to know that it's my luck to finally get to this forum only to find out that one of the main players I would really like to converse with via the forum or emailings is about to split ( That Sucks!).

Is there another way we can maybe converse in the future,should you have the time?. Yep ! Please email me with the email address you prefer ( of course ).

I have many questions concerning songwriting / lyricist questions,I also sing the songs I write ( of course ). And I feel that you would have been able to shred a lot of insight on this subject matter.

Please don't hesitate to email us before you leave.

Thanks for your time and some of the insight you've already provided.

Take Care & Have A Wonderful Day!
Marian-aka "One Jazzy-Z"

#1626510 - 03/28/01 04:23 PM Re: All good things.....
Anderton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

>>It reminds me of when AOL pulled the plug on Craig's first incarnation of SSS a few years ago, citing similar reasons. I thought -- perhaps foolishly -- that MusicPlayer would actually be committed to keeping ALL these forums going, regardless of numbers of posts.<<

For what it's worth...I was told by someone inside AOL that I was actually cut for having too much participation, because when AOL went to flat rate pricing, they didn't like the fact that people were spending hours downloading samples and such. On the other hand, they loved me when they were charging by the hour . They told me I could either sell things online, or leave. I couldn't picture myself opening up "BuyGuitarsFromCraigOnlineAtAOL.com," so I was gone.

As to MusicPlayer.com, it would be wonderful if we could keep all forums, but the problem is that forums can be costly. The people who maintain them need to put food on the table, but then again, so do we. I agree that quality and quantity of posts are two different things, but the issue here is the bottom line. Like any company, we have a limited amount of resources, and we have to manage them in such a way as to insure the long-term viability of the site. We've survived the "dot-carnage" so far, and hopefully, the site will continue to grow and prosper...perhaps to the point where we CAN keep all forums that have merit.

Frankly, I just feel very lucky that we were able to have Al in here at all. My first live rock experience was seeing the Blues Project at the Cafe a Go Go in New York, and it was truly life-changing!! I also was fortunate enough to be in a band that opened up for the Blues Project at some hall in Long Island, and (of course) I bought all their records. So I've known of Al for a long time, and it has been an honor to share the same space as him, even if it's a virtual one.

And Al, if you're reading this, let me add my voice to the "love your column in EQ..." chorus.

#1626511 - 03/29/01 11:22 PM Re: All good things.....
Logan Offline

Loc: Arden,,CANADA
So come the 31st I'm gona put on my Super Session Lp and my Blues Rroject stuff and the Webb Wilder tune I just noticed you produced and the Dylan stuff and the only good BST lp , light one up in your honour and mutter about how freakin' short sited some corporations are. And time is running short so let me come right to the point, want to play on my next record? ;-)
Seriously AL you've given alot and I appreciate every note of it. Take care Logan

#1626512 - 03/30/01 01:50 PM Re: All good things.....
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Loc: NY Hudson Valley, USA
Since the ax falls tomorrow and I won't be here...

Doctor Al,

Best wishes and thanks for all the good-sense posts!!!

See you in EQ (yes?).

Miroslav

This message has been edited by miroslav on 03-30-2001 at 11:04 AM

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."