Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601400 09/19/06 12:30 PM
miroslav Offline OP
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
OP Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
I can't help but notice that whenever I first hit the main MP Forums page...there are always more guests than logged in members.
It's usually a 3-to-1 ratio, guests-to-members…for all the MP forums combined.
And during the active day/eve…it’s always around 120 guests to about 40 members.

I find that a bit odd.

It is possible that the guests are also members that just have not logged in...but that too would be odd.
Why not log in if you are a member?

I guess it's surprising how many people prefer to just lurk in the shadows as opposed to actively participating in the threads.

Common guys and gals...don't be shy... ;\)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."
GP Island
Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601401 09/19/06 12:34 PM
The Big G Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Mrioslav
yes i too find it strange but sometimes i just get the page up read some threads and disappear again without posting as some days there isnt anything that truly captures me.
But everyone to there own i suppose.
G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101
Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601402 09/19/06 12:43 PM
Guitar55 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Just now...8 logged in members, 2 guests

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601403 09/19/06 12:59 PM
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Well, I can't speak to facts, but here are a few possibilities to explain this.

• Some people aren't interested in being a part of the conversation, but find value in reading the comments of others.
  • Some people may be at work and do not want to log in from their employers' computer.
  • Some people may not have time to type out comments but, as in my first point, find value in reading others' comments.
  • I would expect a lot of traffic from people who've discovered the forum but haven't decided to participate. I'm quite sure many decide not to participate, lurk for a while, then leave. With millions of musicians online there are is a steady stream of new lurkers, few of which decide to become members.

Just some food for thought. I'm sure there are other factors as well.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick
fntstcsnd
Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601404 09/19/06 01:18 PM
miroslav Offline OP
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
OP Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Well I pop in on occasion and just read....but I'm still considered a logged in member...which is different from a guest.

See...once you log in...you would have to either log out or delete your cookies to NOT be logged in anymore.
So in my case...I'm always logged in...whether I post or not. \:\)

Oh…Guitar55…I’m talking about the MP Forums main page…and not just the individual Guitar Player Forum.

And for the people posting from work...if the sys admins are monitoring computer activity...
…NOT logging in makes no difference...as they can still track which websites you go to....
...at least that's how it is here.

Anyway…I just thought it a bit odd that we usually have a 3-to-1, guest-to-logged in member ratio on the MP Forums…
...not sure sure if that's the case on other forums...?

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601405 09/19/06 01:28 PM
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by miroslav:
Well I pop in on occasion and just read....but I'm still considered a logged in member...which is different from a guest.

See...once you log in...you would have to either log out or delete your cookies to NOT be logged in anymore.
So in my case...I'm always logged in...whether I post or not. \:\) ...
Not quite, Miro.

You have to set your login to automatic to be logged in just by coming here. I've done that, but many people don't, especially if they post from work or public computers. You can have a cookie stored and it still won't show you as logged in unless... you're logged in. ;\)

And if you're on someone else's computer you won't have an automatic login. You'll have to manually log in to be counted as a member.

BTW - It was 12 members to 9 guests on the guitar forum when I began this post. ;\)

Soundclick
fntstcsnd
Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601406 09/19/06 01:30 PM
Phil W Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Sometimes an internet search points people here and they're checking the forum out.

Sometimes people are long-time lurkers nbefore feeling the need to post. Before my first post on the Lowdown, I spent a few weeks trying to gather the 'tone' and etiquette of that particular social group before posting anything. You only need to post when you have something to say and you only need to be a member to post, you can do everything else without registering.

Sometimes visitors can get their queries ansered by using the search function and older threads - saves constantly anwering the same questions.

Some members might have either just cleared their cookies or be logging in on a different computer (work?/library) and haven't logged in.

I have even accessed the Lowdown Forum a couple of times by cellphome and I'm sure that would show up as a guest.

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601407 09/19/06 01:50 PM
Phil W Offline
10k Club
10k Club
What fantastic sound said about automatic login.

Just a quick look around

Keyboard corner: 17(members):21(guests)
Guitar Forum: 10:4
LowDown Bass Forum: 8:6

A history forum I sometimes visit - 0:7

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601408 09/19/06 01:52 PM
G
Gruupi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
G
I lurked for quite a while before I became a member, and even then I didn't log in or post very often at first. I also didn't want to log in and post from work at certain times, but I might spend a few minutes reading new threads without logging on.

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601409 09/19/06 09:31 PM
miroslav Offline OP
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
OP Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by fantasticsound:
Not quite, Miro.

You have to set your login to automatic to be logged in just by coming here.
Ahhh...actually, you don't have to set it...as it is already preset for you to "remain logged in”. ;\)
People would have to consciously uncheck the "remain logged in” option. \:\)

And apart from people using someone else's computer...I still don't get why we have 4 times as many lurkers as we do logged in members...?
Heck…even at work…no one else uses my computer except me…so I just always stay logged it.
Anyway…I’m just not clear why some people bother hanging on the forums and watching other people post…but not taking any part…?

And again…the numbers I’m talking about are on the main MP Forums web page…not just the individual forums.

Right now…it’s 113 guests and only 25 logged in members….???

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601410 09/19/06 09:37 PM
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club
10k Club
i guess i better put my pants back on... \:D

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601411 09/19/06 10:14 PM
A String Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by guitarzan:
Yeah, why didn't any tell me we had guests? Quick Zan, you and Neil tidy up a bit in here, while I get the door.

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601412 09/19/06 10:33 PM
J J Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I"m a logged in member, and it probably appears that I've only been here a couple months or so, but I'm sure I've been around for about two years now and I come to this page everyday. I'm more of a listener than a speaker and it may appear that i only show up once in a blue moon to ask a question or when I have a problem. But I asure you I'm on more than a lot of other members with even three times my replies.

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601413 09/19/06 10:39 PM
pauldil Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
When I'm at work I'm always logged on because I can set my profile to not display avatars. When visiting the forum from home I'm usually not logged on unless I have something to contribute, which is not that often. And I can enjoy the avatars.

Paul

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601414 09/19/06 11:02 PM
Bluesape Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Quote:
'Zan, quit flashin' our guests!

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!
Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601415 09/20/06 12:27 AM
S
superdave Offline
S
Log on and get moved people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601416 09/20/06 12:29 AM
miroslav Offline OP
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
OP Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
I'm just trying to coax some of our guests out of their lurk mode and into a post mode... \:\)

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601417 09/20/06 03:01 AM
Bbach1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I never login unless I decide to respond to a post. I don't keep cookies on my computer, and always clean up my temp and history files. I have a autoexec.bat file to clean up my prefetch folder. I would appear as a guest until I sign in.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601418 09/20/06 10:45 AM
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by A String:
Quote:
Yeah, why didn't any tell me we had guests? Quick Zan, you and Neil tidy up a bit in here, while I get the door.
did someone put a fresh pot of coffee on? \:D

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601419 09/20/06 10:55 AM
A String Offline
10k Club
10k Club
I think I saw Reif headed that way. \:D

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601420 09/20/06 12:26 PM
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club
10k Club
\:D
it sure is taking him awhile, did he get lost in the beer thread? \:D

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601421 09/20/06 12:50 PM
G
Gruupi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
G
Maybe some of the lurkers like rap and are afraid of being attacked if they become members and post.

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601422 09/20/06 12:56 PM
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Quote:
Quote:
Not quite, Miro.

You have to set your login to automatic to be logged in just by coming here.
Ahhh...actually, you don't have to set it...as it is already preset for you to "remain logged in”. ;\)
People would have to consciously uncheck the "remain logged in” option. \:\) ...
I don't know what you're talking about. Every site I login to, including this one, asks me when I login if I want to automatically login whenever I open their page. If check "no", as I do when logging in on someone else's computer, it will not automatically login. On my home and work computers I'm currently set to auto-login.

So no, unless the user specifically agrees to the "would you like to login automatically" pop-up (or check the box on the login page, depending on the site's design) you will not be automatically logged in.

Soundclick
fntstcsnd
Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601423 09/20/06 01:04 PM
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
I guess it's surprising how many people prefer to just lurk in the shadows as opposed to actively participating in the threads.

Common guys and gals...don't be shy... ;\)
Careful who you invite in - it might be The Wewus!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)
NEW band Old band
Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601424 09/20/06 01:35 PM
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Gruupi:
Maybe some of the lurkers like rap and are afraid of being attacked if they become members and post.
why would you say that? \:D ;\)

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601425 09/20/06 02:12 PM
miroslav Offline OP
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
OP Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
Quote:
People would have to consciously uncheck the "remain logged in” option. \:\) ...
I don't know what you're talking about.
This is what I'm talking about:

I think you may be talking about your individual browser security settings...which can be configured individually to taste.
Obviously…if you set things NOT to ever log you in…it WILL always prompt you when you enter sites that as for Login.

Anyway...my point is that people have to consciously NOT want to log on...just like in the MP logon screen (see the image). You have to UN-check the box.
But it's irrelevant what boxes you have to check/uncheck... ;\)
All I'm asking why is why we always have at least 4-to-1 guests-to-members ratio on the MP Forums as a whole...?

It’s the equivalent of having a bunch of people leaning over your shoulder while you are talking to someone else. \:D

I can understand occasionally floating through ...and if there’s nothing interesting...then no need to post. But that would not account for the constant large number of guests who do not log in.

It's just a curiosity...that's all... \:\)

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601426 09/20/06 03:15 PM
Chris Kemp Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'm sure that there are several reasons why someone may/may not log in. Think about people using public terminals: they may not be logged in automatically for various reasons (internet cleaning software, for example) - but further, if they do log in, then they might very well un-check that box so that the next person can't come by & start posting under their account.

Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601427 09/20/06 03:21 PM
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club
10k Club
That's exactly what I was talking about. Just because the box defaults to being checked is irrelevant. Of course people would uncheck that box unless they want an automatic login, as I already mentioned. The point is there isn't a hidden default to auto-login.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with my browser. I was talking about that screen. Personally, I usually login from work. Occasionally from home (because of dial-up service. :rolleyes: ) Anywhere else and I make certain I uncheck the box. I wouldn't want someone at a library computer or even a friend or family member deciding to check out the forums and be automatically logged in as me.

So again, I think some of the people you're seeing as lurkers are at work or another location where they do not want to be logged in plus the large number of people "window shopping" the site.

I don't appreciate your analogy of someone listening in to your conversation. I see it more like you're standing in a public place, talking out loud. You shouldn't expect any privacy on a street or in a park, speaking out loud for anyone to hear. You may find it rude if a stranger stops and listens to you but, frankly, that's not the stranger's problem. It's yours. ;\)

Think of it more like exactly what it is a virtual representation of; A forum.

In a forum a panel or small group holds a discussion, perhaps with a moderator, and an audience listens in without participating. Seems the use of the term "forum" is even more apt for this place given the number of lurkers. \:D

Soundclick
fntstcsnd
Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601428 09/20/06 04:24 PM
phaeton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Or sometimes people use browsers that don't have cookies, or don't have them in the usual spots that a php/ubb db goes looking for them. Someone's IP session could have changed between the time they last posted and the time they're cruising around and reading, and they might show up as a 'guest' until they post again.

It's very possible that the numbers given for "logged in" or "guest" are str8 up wrong.

Are you paranoid bout something, Miro?

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper(tm)
WWND?
Re: Logged in members vs. guests....? #1601429 09/20/06 05:36 PM
miroslav Offline OP
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
OP Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Boy...some of you folks are totally focused on the whole logging in/out process...which is really irrelevant...
...and Neil, who said anything about hidden? \:\)
I said that by default...the MP login page is set to KEEP you logged in...so people have to choose NOT to want to stay logged in.
You seem to be saying that it's the other way around...
But that's not my point...and it's not about me being paranoid… :rolleyes: ...as I was joking around about people “standing over you shoulder”...hence the included big GRIN “ \:D

The thing I'm getting it is that when you are a guest...and NOT logged in...you can NOT post.
Now...some of those "guests" may indeed be members who just decided NOT to stay logged in automatically (for whatever reason ).
But...that also means there are a lot of people who quite possibly are NOT members at all...and THAT is what I'm curious about...
…how many of those "guests" are really guests...and why would they NOT want to join up...and become members...and actually contribute...
…instead of just lurking/hawking...???

OK...I know this isn't a "guitar" topic...but common guys...stretch a little...it's still a "forum" topic. ;\)

It’s just a curiosity (didn’t I already say that?).

Heck...too often we only have a handful of active members…and after awhile…the conversations start to cycle around.
So…bringing in some new blood seems like a good thing…but…IT DON’T WORK UNLESS THEY POST! \:D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3