Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I want to buy a Hammond

Synthoid

When I started playing keys in a band back in the 80's, organ sounds weren't on my agenda. I had been "forced" to play the organ when I was growing up and wanted to be as far away from one as possible! All I wanted to play were screamin' leads, string pads and filter sweeps.

Fast forward to 2010: I'm constantly reading various clone wheel "shoot out" threads, listening to 70's tunes, watching Hammond B3 YouTube vids people are occasionally posting, and really wanting a Hammond XK something or other.

You people are a bad influence.

:D

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
watching Hammond B3 YouTube vids people are occasionally posting, and really wanting a Hammond XK3c.

There, fixed it for you. ;):thu:

Can't afford it, but thanks Sven.

:(

My church choir sang in a show that had a total of 4 choirs, including one from a Black Missionary Baptist church. They brought a small band, and the choir director played the piano. They proceeded to absolutly rock the house.

They also had a guy that was playing some really tasteful Hammond parts, and it sounded really good.

Imagine my surprise when I noticed the organ was coming from Korg N364, just like the one I still have. I never really liked the organ sounds from it, but this guy had it truly singing.

On a similar note, my first day with my church's band, the songs needed some Hammond, and the board I had to work with was a Roland Fantom X8. Not a good Hammond sound in the thing. Sunday came around, and my Hammond was on the stage.

It's an old XB-2, but it still rocks.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

The XB-2 is fine. I still like the XB-2 Crank the panel volume wide open and use the Hammond gas pedal and run it into a real leslie. I thought the XB-2 sound had more guts than the XK-2. A good leslie will make pretty much any clone work.....IMO

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have that issue a lot. Sometimes I have to drive to DC!

This area is a wasteland for finding anything other than a synth or two and a handful of workstations.

I've been reading about that model--with the extra sounds. . . .

Two things: First the XK-3c also has the extra sounds, you just need to know the trick on how to find them. But more importantly, the extra sounds pretty much suck. I use only the synth sound for one song and that is only because my other board is busy with something else.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Have you played a real console. Any experience with real drawbars? It is a huge deal breaker with me for the NORD but it is the best one stop shopping keyboard out there.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I'd prefer a real (portable) Hammond.[/quote]

That's why I went for the XK1 over the XK3c -

I played both of them side-to-side in the store, & (as they both have the same sound-engine)

there was no persceptable difference in sound... & I actually prefered the keybed action on the XK1.

Ok - The XK3c does have more 'editing' capabilities but, for ease of transport,

& the superb sound of the XK1, I don't think you can go wrong :cool:!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Not yet, but from what I've read, I'd prefer a real (portable) Hammond.

If you are referring to a chop then I have never seen a chop that was easier to handle than a stock console organ. Chops may be easier to fit into cargo spaces but they are harder to handle than a stock organ.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Hammond has a lot of great choices for organists and organist wanna bees....like me.

The XK3c can do everything, a very tweakable clonewheel. The XK-1 is probably best for the "rest of us" that really don't need everything the 3c can do, and either don't have the money to buy a 3c or can't justify it based on how much you would use it, or just how important organ sounds are to your sound.

The XK-1 can be had for less than MAP and by the time you buy the necessary accessories, most players can put the $$ together a lot sooner than if the goal was a 3c with all the fixin's.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I must have been about 13 years old and played in a little band with my Farfisa organ (anyone remember the "knee" pedal?). Well, a couple of the players in town liked what I was trying to do and took me to a club that had a B3.

It's a vivid memory, sliding up to this great mammoth. How do you turn this monster on? Click, whirrrrrr... and I've never been the same again. Definitely a life changing event.

All of the software, modules, and clonewheels are fantastic but make no mistake about it, there is a sheer physical reality sitting behind and kicking a Hammond console.

No way I can gig with one again, but for home I recently scored an A-100. Same console with amp and speakers built in(and reverb). Seems to be the secret ticket these days since A's generally aren't ever roaded and can be had at lower prices. I can't afford to even look at the new stuff.

Good luck on your Hammond quest!

The XB-2 is fine. I still like the XB-2 Crank the panel volume wide open and use the Hammond gas pedal and run it into a real leslie. I thought the XB-2 sound had more guts than the XK-2. A good leslie will make pretty much any clone work.....IMO

I read a Hammond Shootout in Keyboard Mag before I bought my first XB-2. They compared the crop of clones available at the time to a real B3. They gave their ratings on a drawbar scale.

The XB-2 got the highest marks, a 7.5 out of 8 for authenticity, and while the B3 got a 7.5, the XB-2 got an 8 for Balls.

That's what convinced me to get one. Run it through a Leslie, or even a Motion Sound, and it sounds great.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I'd prefer a real (portable) Hammond.[/quote]

That's why I went for the XK1 over the XK3c -

I played both of them side-to-side in the store, & (as they both have the same sound-engine)

there was no persceptable difference in sound... & I actually prefered the keybed action on the XK1.

Ok - The XK3c does have more 'editing' capabilities but, for ease of transport,

& the superb sound of the XK1, I don't think you can go wrong :cool:!

Having both....hmmm...where to start... ;)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Is an M worth buying for around a couple hundred?

(Sorry if this has been discussed before, I don't remember, and doubt I'd find results searching for "M" ;) )

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Is an M worth buying for around a couple hundred?

Is it an M, M2 or M3? Although an M3 would be the optimum, they all are worth a couple hundred if you consider the fun factor. While there often are some available for free or close to it, if you find one in excellent condition, both physical and functional, consider the organ free and the couple hundred a thank you to the owners for taking such good care of it for all those years.

IMO, YMMV, Yada Yada Yada

Archived