#1556408 04/18/06 04:09 PM
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Pappy P:
Hack = Pappy ref http://www.birdblues.com

High Functioning Hack = Jimmie Ray Vaughan ref http://www.JRV.com

Hack Supreme = any of the above with cheese (add .05)
:D

GP Island
Re: Lee Flier: Did This Happen at HC?
#1556409 04/18/06 04:11 PM
10k Club
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRBass:
Anyone remember the guy who was on here last year with the Ashlee Simpson fixation? That's the kind of oddball people I mean.
And let's not forget the "tubgirl" guy.

#1556410 04/18/06 04:28 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I was checking out Harmony Central. The main site has what appears to be a pretty extensive database of gear reviews. And they do have some helpful information and/or links there to.

I peeked into the forums, I just didn't see any thing that really seemed to interest me.

I feel so dirty now, like I cheated or something. I have to go take a shower now.

#1556411 04/18/06 04:45 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
They like to dick around when it comes to selling
gear.Guitar,amp,effects forum is pretty cool a lot
of good players

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.
#1556412 04/18/06 05:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
pappy.. sweet music u got there !!! i just went on ur site and ... sweeeet !!

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.
#1556413 04/18/06 05:43 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Thank for that Braxt.

I got ya with My Spam link did I. \:D

#1556414 04/18/06 06:46 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
FWIW, I've gone to other sites for "resources" not available here on MP. However, it's never been HC.

And on some sites I've linked back to here when they've lacked the "resources" that are here.

This is a great place for people who would want to read Keyboard-, Guitar-, and/or Bass Player magazines.

#1556415 04/18/06 06:52 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by RicBassGuy:
This is a great place for people who would want to read Keyboard-, Guitar-, and/or Bass Player magazines.
Which means what, precisely?

#1556416 04/18/06 07:19 PM
R
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Pappy P:
I was checking out Harmony Central. The main site has what appears to be a pretty extensive database of gear reviews. And they do have some helpful information and/or links there to.

I peeked into the forums, I just didn't see any thing that really seemed to interest me.
HC used to be the de facto website musicians would go to in order to get the lowdown on any gear they'd be interested in. You learn very quickly to sift through and recognize the valid reviews from the newbie's unsubstanciated new toy infatuations. It might still be it today but I personally tend to get more information out of different forums.

The fact that HC was started by a regular Joe with no apparent commercial goals made it very cool and it got hugely popular thanks to its impressive and ever-growing database of everything that was music-hardware-related (popular both with musicians and with manufacturers to post their product announcements). Of course, HC has since been purchased by a corporation but it still offers great value for musicians.

As far as the HC forums are concerned, the older forums (including their guitar and amp forums) have a HUGE member base and the amount of bullshit and attitude is sometime staggering.

I've visited some of the ex-MP mod's forums and they seem to be doing well. I've always loved Phil O-Keefe's forum (either here at MP or there ar HC) and Craig Anderton's forum is a very cool and relaxed hangout where a bit of everything goes on with a cool bunch of regulars (not unlike this very place).

Forums are non-exclusive and great info is great info, no matter where it comes from.

#1556417 04/18/06 08:52 PM
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhino Madness:
HC used to be the de facto website musicians would go to in order to get the lowdown on any gear they'd be interested in. You learn very quickly to sift through and recognize the valid reviews from the newbie's unsubstantiated new toy infatuations. It might still be it today but I personally tend to get more information out of different forums.
Yeah...I use to go there in the past (pre-MF) to get some pre-purchase sense on a product...
...but after awhile, reading through the piles and piles of reviews, it becomes just a blur...and in the end, I usually go with my gut feelings, which I already had before I ever read the reviews. \:\)

What I really get a kick out of with some of the reviews...is when you get 5 people that rate a product as "10"...and then you get 5 people rating the same product as "3"! \:D

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."
#1556418 04/19/06 03:59 AM
10k Club
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by miroslav:
"Did all the big, bad changes happen at MP?"
That's what intrigues me, Miro. I can't remember anyone talking about "big bad changes" at MP. Well, maybe you. \:D

Can you dig up any threads that say anything of that nature, and refresh my memory? I'd appreciate it.

And to reiterate: I post/read on both MP and HC, and other musician places as well. I find that the server that holds the forum has little or nothing to do with the quality of the people who post there. That's why I've never felt this big need to make it an "us vs. them" situation.

SSS is pretty much the same on HC as it was here on MP (and, in fact, as it was on AOL before moving to MP). Lee's band forum is great. O'Keefe's forum is great. And still, the forums here are as fine as they ever were. And life goes on. Is that "sweeping it under the rug", or can you tell me how I'm wrong?

- Jeff

#1556419 04/19/06 04:10 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
We can all agree that we do need a good gear review section here though right? come on...guys?

#1556420 04/19/06 08:01 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by EmptinessOFYouth:
We can all agree that we do need a good gear review section here though right? come on...guys?
I've thought that for a while.

As for the other issue, I can't find Guitar or Bass Player very easily in this area, so I pick it up when I can, but that doesn't mean that's the only reason I hang out here.

I like the people (mostly - some exceptions mentioned above).

I like the craque.

The discussion is mainly mature & sensible(!!!!) - mostly.

I also enjoy the occasional bouts of lunacy which are (thankfully) tolerated here.

It's a *very* sane place to be.

I'm just humbled to be part of it

\:D

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music
The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!
#1556421 04/19/06 08:08 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by EmptinessOFYouth:
Isn't it a lot like reinventing the wheel? I mean, HC does that already and they're well known for that, etc. etc.

I just think it'd take ages to get a database as large as theirs and I wonder whether it'd be worth the effort anyway.

Why is it so important to have a reviews section anyway?

#1556422 04/19/06 10:47 AM
P
10k Club
10k Club
P
Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:
I like the craque.
I didn't know people were smoking that here...

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

#1556423 04/19/06 11:01 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Picker:
Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:
I like the craque.
I didn't know people were smoking that here...
No, no... they "smoque" it. ;\)

Seriously though... what the heck is a "craque"?

#1556424 04/19/06 11:31 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I was going to stay clear of this whole discussion because some very good and fun to talk to people left here and went to HC and don't seem to visit here any more.
However, over all, you guys are the most enjoyable group of posers (I mean posters hee hee) of any music site on the net. There is no pretentiousness. You don't have to be somebody to post here. Every one is welcome unless you are trolling. Hell, I've even seen spongebob squarepants posting here. \:D
I've posted a bunch on Craig Andertons SSS at HC. However, it does indeed feel like it would be better if I was somebody high up in the music industry to be posting there. I like the people, but if I had to make a choice, it would be you guys hands down. (I use guys to represent both genders).
Basically, I'm sure there have been some ideas that the crew at HC wish to implement, but overall, it's just a music forum and not quite as good as this one.
Bbach has spoken.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
#1556425 04/19/06 11:32 AM
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Well talking about gear review 0pportunities that have slipped by us: LAVAMAN gave us a very well setup GEAR REVIEW template on his site: HERE: http://www.lavacable.com/gear_reviews.htm

He asked this forum to contribute to it to get it off the ground, he and I reposted it quite a few times and there was no interest apparnetly? I put in acouple of reviews and I think some other guy did and that was that! I have NO idea WHY this Review database didn't take off??? Lavaman set this up for US specifically.

#1556426 04/19/06 11:33 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:
Quote:
It means that people who read EQ should piss off & post elsewehere. \:D

#1556427 04/19/06 12:54 PM
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:
That's what intrigues me, Miro. I can't remember anyone talking about "big bad changes" at MP. Well, maybe you. \:D
Yeah...you have selective memory loss.

Maybe I'm paraphrasing it by saying "big bad changes"...but it was Craig specifically that pounded that drum by saying that the MAIN reason he was moving SSS was because there would be all kinds of changes happening at MP that would prevent SSS from existing as it currently was….(to me, that sure sounded like a "big/bad" changes).

Quote:
Can you dig up any threads that say anything of that nature, and refresh my memory? I'd appreciate it.
First you say, "let's not dredge up"...and now you want ME to do the digging for you!
Why...?...so that you can then accuse me of dredging it up...?
You wanna dig...?....well, you don't have to dig…'cuz it's ALL there on the archived SSS forum.
Feel free to go and re-read it all.

Quote:
...the server that holds the forum has little or nothing to do with the quality of the people who post there. That's why I've never felt this big need to make it an "us vs. them" situation.
And THAT'S exactly why I didn't understand (and still don’t) why a bunch of the forums HAD to move from MP to HC...???
Of course...as I pointed out above, Craig gave a specific reason (the MP changes)...which to THIS day have NEVER really happened here.
And to tie this in to the original premise of this thread...(as Ellwood asked)...NONE of the "great new things" that were promised, have really come to fruition at HC...have they?
Which was the other half of the story as to why moving there was going to be such a good thing.

Quote:
SSS is pretty much the same on HC as it was here on MP...
EXACTALY!!!

So...what WERE the real reasons for moving it (and other forums)...???

Maybe you better look under the carpet again! \:D

Seems to me...when you slice and dice it all down...it was mostly about moderators getting paid...nothing more.
And I am not against that...but at least all that other talk...about the MP changes and about all the wonderful NEW things that were going to happen at HC...etc...
...all of that could have been left out….’cuz it hasn’t happened!
You want money...or MORE money....then just say it plain and clear...no need to disguise it as something else.
But oh yeah...I guess from what Lee posted on this thread...it's only been a year...things are still in the planning stages...etc...etc... :rolleyes:

There...I know you secretly wanted to get all this back out to the surface...so now that it's open once again, you wanna’ kick this can of worms some more….or just let it go?

#1556428 04/19/06 12:58 PM
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Bbach bob robert:
I've posted a bunch on Craig Andertons SSS at HC. However, it does indeed feel like it would be better if I was somebody high up in the music industry to be posting there.
Don't feel that way.

There are always those people that will raise their noses high enough to block out the sun from shining down on others...
...you just have to learn step to the side to get out from under their shadow.

#1556429 04/19/06 02:20 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Christopher Robin:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:
Quote:
It means that people who read EQ should piss off & post elsewehere. \:D
Well, in general, people buy magazines on topics that interest them: women's fashion, gardening, computers, cars, etc. I'd think that any guitar player that saw an issue of GP would at least be interested enough to leaf through it. Likewise, any guitar player on the net that comes across this site would probably be interested enough to check it out.

I found this place, I think, when googling for gear reviews.

As Chris points out, I omitted EQ mag. The KP, GP and BP forums were essentially untouched, but the EQ forums were not. I think anybody that used to read them will admit that they are different now than they used to be. (Except for Surround and Acoustics, which didn't get reset.)

I don't think the EQ people should piss off (smiley noted), but they do have it a lot harder. Imagine if there were 5 active guitar forums here, and 4 more archived.

I agree with Geoff that there are a lot of high-quality discussions here. That is a credit to the people who hang out here. As Jeff said, it's the people that make the forums what they are.

#1556430 04/19/06 04:05 PM
P
10k Club
10k Club
P
When the "changes" mentioned above were announced, I got the impression that they were about the tone and tenor the parent organization wanted on their website. Specifically in question, the SSS Political Party. That forum was very often egregiously obscene and abusive in tenor and tone. I can't imagine any self-respecting company wanting to be associated with the bootless filth that populated that site in the name of "free speech", not for very long, anyway. IN any event, I got the impression that the big changes that were gonna come down were about cleaning up the grotty way people were treating each other on the SSS political forum.

Why Anderton felt compelled to move his other forums over to HC, I have no idea. Maybe he got a better deal or something. Frankly, him taking his bat, ball & glove to another playing field didn't affect me much anyway, other than getting me out of swapping insults with a bunch of folks who didn't agree with my politics. And I consider that a gain rather than a loss.

#1556431 04/19/06 04:29 PM
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Picker:
Why Anderton felt compelled to move his other forums over to HC, I have no idea. Maybe he got a better deal or something. Frankly, him taking his bat, ball & glove to another playing field didn't affect me much anyway, other than getting me out of swapping insults with a bunch of folks who didn't agree with my politics. And I consider that a gain rather than a loss.
Couldn't agree with your more!

That piece of crap (the SSS Political Forum) was the ONLY thing that needed to go!
Hey...in the beginning, I made a bunch of political posts too...but I realized early on that it was all a waste of time...and I haven't posted a SINGLE political post on these forums since right after the '84 election!
And I doubt I ever will.
These are supposed to be music/audio forums!

But last year, the implication (the story) was that the actual SSS Forum (not just the Political Forum) was being threatened by some planned changes at MP.
And yet...we now have the Sweat Forum here....which may not be exactly like SSS...but it is meant to have that same kind of tone.
So I still don't see where SSS just HAD to leave…and especially some of the other forums…?
Hey...if Craig wanted to go...that's his biz...but he made it seem that he had little choice in the matter.
And...he may have (or still has) big plans for HC...which is fine.
The only point that was brought up by Ellwood’s question...was that after about a year...none of those plans have come to fruition at HC....and few big changes have happened here.
So when you get down to it...it's hard to figure out why those forums left...and it's hard to see any benefit or anything special in being over at HC.
(The HC reviews were there a LONG time before any of this happened!)

That's all that was/is being stated in this thread.
Of course...some people who happen to be tight with the certain "in crowd" at HC...don't want to hear ANY kind of talk that throws a semi- negative slant to the great forum exodus of 2005.

That's where that carpet comes in handy! \:D

#1556432 04/19/06 05:07 PM
P
10k Club
10k Club
P
Like I said, maybe Anderton got a better deal out of HC...

#1556433 04/19/06 06:00 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
One more time, from the top...

The internet works via computer file servers.

Server space and throughput costs money.

The business model of a forum is to drive eyeballs to your other products (print media in MusicPlayer's instance)and to your advertisers.

How much have you paid for using this forum to have the servers store your random typing and throughput?

MusicPlayer stated that the forums would more closely match their print media. For some reason they felt Craig's forum didn't fit. This decision is economic - they must have felt Craig's marquee didn't bring enough eyeballs to their products to justify the cost of the server space and bandwidth. (My opinion, which doesn't count for anything, is that they are incorrect)

Craig got an offer from the owners of HC to bring his board (and by osmosis it's members) to their servers. He even gets to be paid for moderating the forum and posting actual content. Maybe nothing re-defining humanity, but getting paid to discuss music is pretty cool.

Since these are all free to the members, join as many as you like, and interact with whoever you want. I've had direct correspondence with many members here, and traded opinions on Anderton's board as well.

As for off-topic forums, that gives a landing space for threads that don't bear on music or instrument specific topics. Like this topic for instance.

#1556434 04/19/06 08:13 PM
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Billster:
How much have you paid for using this forum to have the servers store your random typing and throughput?
Every time any one of us buys a piece of gear that is advertised in the MP magazines or on these forums...we pay!
That's the nature of this biz.
If this was a private forum without ANY connection to advertising or to trade publications that get paid for advertising…that would be a different story. Then you could pay to join...or not.

But these forums were set up to DRAW IN A CROWD and then focus that crowd on the advertised gear (here and in the magazines).
To then turn around AFTER you draw the crowd in, and ask them to pay to stay...that would be BULLSHIT!

Quote:
MusicPlayer stated that the forums would more closely match their print media. For some reason they felt Craig's forum didn't fit.
You know...I just don't see where this holds any water...because I look at the current roster of Music Player forums...and there are still quite a few that have NOTHING to do with the magazines.
So...HOW THE HELL...didn't SSS fit in anymore...???

Quote:
Craig got an offer from the owners of HC to bring his board (and by osmosis it's members) to their servers. He even gets to be paid for moderating the forum and posting actual content. Maybe nothing re-defining humanity, but getting paid to discuss music is pretty cool.
Now that...that is probably the only thing that was true then and now.
And I have nothing against Craig or anyone getting paid...but the manner in which the so-called "required" exodus was explained and the reasons given at first...
...tried very hard to dodge the issue of "money".
But maybe now…it appears that it WAS only about money…???

All I'm saying...tell it like it was/is...

Quote:
Since these are all free to the members, join as many as you like, and interact with whoever you want. I've had direct correspondence with many members here, and traded opinions on Anderton's board as well.
Yeah...OK...what's your point?
What does this have to do with the original premise of this thread...???

Quote:
As for off-topic forums, that gives a landing space for threads that don't bear on music or instrument specific topics. Like this topic for instance.
I really would not call this thread off-topic, as it does relate directly TO an audio/music forum.

#1556435 04/19/06 09:03 PM
10k Club
10k Club
This whole thread seems to be going way beyond the original question ellwood asked and it really didn't need to.

I'm not sure why there are such hard feelings over this whole thing. They moved. End of story. There was no changes, no bad outcomes. The folks who liked it here, stayed. The folks who liked the SSS and Craig's forum etc., left.

That's all there is too it. If you Like both places, then post at both places. If you just like one or the other, then make a choice.

I think the reason there was worry during the move was, the question of the SSS spill over. There was concern that, once it was removed, that group would return to bringing their discussions back to the guitar forum, bass forum, keyboard forum etc.

As most of us predicted, that didn't happen. They were a civilized bunch who liked to argue to vent steam and they just carried their discussions over to the new SSS.

I think that if there are hard feelings, they should be discussed and settled so that this whole thing can be put behind us. There certainly isn't any need for getting mad here.

#1556436 04/19/06 09:05 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Geez, haven't you bitched about this enough already?!? You have no idea what was going on with MP management a year ago - why must you instantly assume that there was some evil scheme to make Big Dollar$ & screw everyone over?

Oh, BTW - all that gear that you big spenders buy pays for more than just the advertising budgets of the companies invloved; and, whatever money that MP is making from ad revemus, they also have magazines to publish, remember? This forum is a value-add - remember the Google ads? They are supposed to defray the cost.

And also: if you think that SWEAT was or is the same as the SSS, it just goes to show that you didn't understand either one.

#1556437 04/19/06 09:15 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Oh No. This has official gone way too far.

Once the moderator get's here you guys will be in big trouble.

Quick, someone turn on the Signal.

We need Modzilla to come in a save us.

Help us Modzilla!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard