Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in that chop?

Joe Muscara

I was watching the Robert Cray Band on HDNet recently, and got some decent looks at Jim Pugh's rig.

I noticed that his Hammond chop had something I've never seen before. In the front rail, in front of the lower manual, were several knobs and dials. I'm sure one was for the Leslie control, but what are the others? I have no idea.

I would provide a pic but could not find one (or at least, don't know what search terms to use).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes! Thanks for finding that. Looks like a kitchen sponge, but there are those knobs to the right, and there may be one next to the Leslie switch as well on the left.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

You know, I bet he'd go for that. :)

I forget who makes those chops with controls in the front rail. It's not Bill Beer or Bob Schleicher.

Typical extra controls that are added to a chop - chorus/vib intensity, perc volume, perc decay time, reverb level, 2 band EQ, effects loop return level, etc.

Moe

---

That's a lot of stuff. Are they all controlling stuff that's onboard, added to the organ?

Not sure, but I think Gregg Rolie also used a Hammond chop with a bunch of knobs along the front rail. I think it was during his Journey days.... I've always wondered what those knobs were for as well.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I saw an organ in my youth that had that front rail mod, and the portion of the rail in front of the keys had a "bump pad" - kind of like the palm rest pads you see in front of computer keyboard trays. It had a velour surface and made a nice soft target for your palms for conga slap techniques.

I thought that was a good idea and always wanted to try it.

Moe

---

Archived