Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Living with the RD700GX Supernatural Pianos kit

Aidan

I know that there are at least one or two posters on here who've bought the SRX Supernatural Pianos upgrade for their RD700GX. Now you've had a chance to "live" with the product for a little while, what's your overall opinion? Has it been money well spent?

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Aidan,

The upgrade improves on the standard pianos somewhat, but the tone is still the same more or less and so it does get boring to my ears after sometime. However, I find that if I flit between the Korg SV-1 and Roland GX pianos a lot I don't get bored of the basic tones of any of these pianos... so its all good...

My favourite sound is the Grand Piano 2 which is based upon the same character as Superior Grand in the GX.

The main advantage is the lack of velocity switching but I can't say that bothered me at all on the RD GX anyway... the SRX-12 rhodes is another matter though... very jumpy..

So is it worth it? Hard to say... £300 (is that UK price?) isn't gonna buy you much these days so I'd take a punt and see what you feel.. you can always sell it for a bit less if you don't like it...

I have it in my GX atm with the SRX-12, its a pity I can't use my SRX-07 in there too but I think having the SN card in there is more worthwhile.

Atm my favourite piano sounds are the ones in the SV-1 actually.... :-/

But I'm not a jazz/classical piano player so YMMV.

Thanks Neil, I think "somewhat" is not enough to justify spending 300 quid at the moment - will keep it on the radar, though...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I guess you should maybe try it out yourself and decide... some people think there is a huge difference on the v-tribe forums. I know when I tried Grand Piano 1 on the SN card for the first time I was kinda underwhelmed.

to me there isn't really a huge difference, though I have tended to gravitate towards the SN sounds more and more (Grand Piano 2) and not bother with the regular GX sounds too much.

• 2 weeks later...
I was able to spend some time, last night, with an RD-700GFX. While I have always felt that the RD-700GX is an excellent choice (like the S90ES I have had for a few years), the SN Pianos - so far, and from a somewhat limited perspective (an hour or so of playing) - provided an sonic edge that took my solo playing experience very close to that same dynamic, and evocative area that I experienced with the new Yamaha CP's. Roland did a great job with this latest effort, and it definitely begs more playing time. I'm going to try and get some more time in this afternoon on the GFX.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

by orangefunk:

to me there isn't really a huge difference, though I have tended to gravitate towards the SN sounds more and more (Grand Piano 2) and not bother with the regular GX sounds too much.

Neil, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that your experience with another piano card on a instrument you previously owned? (Yamaha Motif series?)

My guess is the sound engine, filters, etc. are the common denominators.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Hi Mike,

No I never had the piano expansion (one of the PLG's?) when i had the MOTIF ES or Classic.

wrt the GX expansion, I think its a nice addition but the basic Grand Piano 1 sound did not do it for me (much like the Expressive Grand to me)... the Grand Piano 2 is much better and closer to my preference of the Superior Grand over the Expressive Grand. Editing the soundboard resonance seems to make it better too..

It's a nice sound though... but did not leave a big impression like it did with Allan. However, other piano players I know have commented rather favourably upon it... I should add I'm not a dyed in the wool piano player and my experience is really mainly with digitals/romplers/modellers/etc over the real thing...

also I have to confess I'm rather blaise and spoilt these days... and nothing really impresses me... I spent some time on my 1972 Minimoog last night and I was just "hmm...okay.. next"

I think I'm ready for a holiday...

:D

Cheers!

Neil

Neil, I guess I mixed you up with someone else that owned a Motif ES wasn't impressed with the PLG piano card. I've been known to be wrong.

I think we all get bored with our instruments from time to time. I have a tendency to keep using the same sounds on my keys, and that's a mistake. If I like a sound because its fat and juicy, I tend to over use it and then my sequences all sound kinda the same. Not the fault of the KB. I have also had the tendency to do material that sounds similar to other material I do and before you know it, I'm bored. :bor:

I have to blame myself for a lack of imagination.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived