Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ultra synth noob need synth advice.

Taylor704

Hey guys! 1st post in this forum.

Basically, i've been really getting into general electronic music for a while, leaning towards the trance thing but not limited by much. Some of the string sounds are quite cool as well. Bands that use synths that I love include New Order, Delphic, Faithless, some Bloc Party, Depeche Mode, some Radiohead etc.

What sort of synth (preferably cheap) can I get to have a wideish array of synth tones to cover some of the bands above? Obviously some bands such as New Order have a massive array of synth tones but i'd like something with a nice amount of choice.

My two favourite songs involving synths are probably New Order - Blue Monday and Bloc Party - Flux.

I realise i've just made the most general synth post ever, but if anyone can make sense of it, your help would be much appreciate

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have a computer?

For someone "just starting" who already has a computer, I would say a computer + low-end audio interface + software synths is less of an investment than any sort of hardware synth.

I make software noises.

Do you have a computer?

For someone "just starting" who already has a computer, I would say a computer + low-end audio interface + software synths is less of an investment than any sort of hardware synth.

Yes, but for a noob, it's also an awful lot of things that can go wrong or need to be adjusted.

Here's a better option, IMO, given his stated needs/wants:

Roland GAIA (SH-01) synth

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/roland-gaia-sh-01.jpg

It's got plenty of features, a reasonable price point, and is a true plug-and-play intro to "analog" synthesis.

Once he's gotten that into his system, he can pick up a small hardware sampler (SP-404 or the like) to get the sampled sounds as used by Depeche Mode, etc.... or he can go soft-synth for a near-infinite palette, but he won't be a complete noob and hopefully won't be overwhelmed by his choices.

As with all such things, YMMV. :thu:

Hardware is more immediate than soft synths. Plug it in, turn it on and play. Sure computer software is less expensive, as Sven Golly posted "Yes, but for a noob, it's also an awful lot of things that can go wrong or need to be adjusted". In plain "American" English, to much screwing around.

Traditional analog as well as virtual analog synths use subtractive synthesizer principals and basic knowledge of subtractive synth programming is useful with a large number of keyboards that are on the market by various manufacturers.

Although I'm not a big fan of Roland synths, the Roland GAIA as Rob suggested would be an inexpensive investment that sounds good considering the price. It has modern features that will result in numerous options in sound creation without spending too much time configuring and not enough time playing. Its a polyphonic synth, which I'd say is the best way to go to make music.

Welcome to the Forum!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

With no info re: budget and current capabilities and performance (or not) goals, a soft synth is not necessarily a bad plan, as recommendations could be made towards finding workable, affordable components.

So, original poster: define "cheap".

I make software noises.

I'm lovin' my Gaia! Don't have to be a noob to have fun with these things.

No, but I'm sure you agree that it's eminently suitable for someone in the OP's position? :)

Can't think of anything better. I don't know much about those musical references he gives, but no doubt the Gaia will get him close to what he needs and it will be alot more immediate and gratifying than other options.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

There are a lot of good choices in used VAs out there in this price range too: The Roland JP-8000/8080, Access Virus (the higher the letter the more recent the vintage), Nord Lead (although you are going to need outboard effects with this one). I don't know where you live but if you have an active Craigslist and some spare time you can do a little used equipment shopping.

The ones that I would advise staying away from are the Korg Microkorg (mini-keys and difficulty in programming) and Alesis Micron (reliability issues and difficulty in programming).

I haven't encountered a Gaia yet but it looks like a reasonable choice for a starter synth. If you give it a chance you will learn how to program on it fairly easily because of it's layout.

Archived