Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

does FX amp mod hollow bodie sound like real thing?

HideTheJP89

I'm considering a boss gt-8 and it says it can emulate a hollow body. I know gt-8 aint top of the line but i'd imagine i could still increase the level of the effect to sound "more" than a real hollow body. I plan on getting a solid body and using the FX to mod it. I will do a comparison at the store but also would like some input, thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome aboard hidethejp89...can't help with your question except to say that I would buy a hollow body if I want the sound as opposed to trying to model one...hopefully someone will chime in for you with a better answer... :idk
Take care, Larryz

Greetings, HideTheJP. Sorry to say, the answer is pretty much "No." The GT-8 is a very nice FX box; I set one up for a vision-impaired friend, and I liked it very much. I also have a GT-3 that I've been using for years. You can try to emulate a hollow-body, or semi-hollow by tweaking the Guitar Tone Modify & Acoustic Sim, but it's debatable how close you'll get; IMHO, it won't sound like a real hollow-body. If you're looking at the GT-8 just for the hollow-body sound, save up and get a guitar, instead of a modeler. If you wanted an FX box anyhow, and the GT-8 is stupid cheap, like $100, it's a good box, but some of the cooler features are more fun for experimentalists (Synth, Slicer, Auto Riff). Hope this helps.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Yeah, I've sure never played through a sim of an acoustic that really satisfied. Something's always wrong with some part of the midrange in these things- too much of some freqs honking, too little of others weedily insufficient, always electronic sounding.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Ya, I agree with all of the above.... any kind of modelers I have used are a little shy of sounding like the real thing.

If you are a good player, you have a better chance of sounding closer to the mark... just because you will be able to emulate the style and technique you are after. If you are a patient programer... you might also come a little closer to the sound then the guy who just uses gear out of the box.

There is a big difference trying to sound like a hollow body electric, compared to trying to sound like an acoustic guitar. I've had better luck getting the characteristics of the sound of a 335... then the sound of an acoustic. For that.... I just use an acoustic. (Even that isn't easy when trying to translate the sound to the front of the house). Multiple lines sometimes fatten up the sound as long as you have the capabilities.

I use modelers and multiple sends from acoustic guitars (live and in the studio) to achieve my sound. (Electric sounds as well as acoustic). Still nothing compares to the "real deal" when emulating another guitar and amp. But with lots of patients and practice you can get a pretty darn good sound out front that will make people notice. Good luck.

It''s kinda of a weird thing. I had a Line 6 Variax 600 for a long while, and I liked it a lot, only sold it because I needed money for a car.

It had models of all sorts of electrics, semi-hollows and full-on hollow bodies, as well as acoustic 6 & 12 string guitars, dobros and banjo. Oddly enough, the acoustic 6 string models sounded more like the real thing than the electric hollow and semi-hollow body models did. There are subtleties in the sounds of boxes like a Super 400, ES335, ES175, or Gretsch 6120 that somehow didn't make it across the Great Digital Divide. I don't know why not, I would have figured electric guitars would be easier to model accurately than acoustics. I guess it's just a hard thing to simulate.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• 1 month later...

steve howe (to me, the greatest player currently alive) uses a variax live now for all the sitar/12 strings/accoustic stuff (other than his solo spots) live with yes....and it is amazing sounding.

the accoustic sims in all the digital things i've tried don't sound like accoustics, but they DO sound kinda like piezo equipped accoustic electrics...sorta.

i agree, better off to use the real thing.

Archived