Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

for legato playing

Gifthorse

For the past year I have dabbled with 2 note extension tapping with my left hand.

This enables you to play licks that are 5 notes per string--or perhaps 6. I use my middle and ring fingers on my right hand.

This obviously works alot better on electric, but I can also do it on acoustic with a thumpy attack.

The problem I run into is that I am also a fingerstyle player. The longer (I don't keep my nails THAT long--hardly up to par with most classical players--which I suck at), I keep my nails for fingerstyle, the more they create an obstacle for the 2 note addition from the right hand hand. It can be accomplished still, but not quite as well because the fingernails attack the frets more creating a clicking noise. For electric it works better.

Anyways, does anyone else dabble with this?

I am always trying to add new techniques to my playing. Not because I am going to use them, chances are I won't. Right now I am not in a band, and though I have been jamming with a flamenco player, we don't have anything really etched yet until his marriage is finished (in Taiwan that can take a bit longer).

But I must say from a shred perspective, this technique can really make any scales or arpeggios more fluid sounding.

My stretch is usually only 3 frets on my right hand, but higher up on the neck it expands to 4 frets enabling some very cool legato pentatonic runs if you can play 3 note per string runs with the left hand.

I can also do some crazy whole tone, and diminished licks using this approach.

The key is to control unnecessary string noise.

I have seen some players use a hair band for this, but really if you develop your technique properly you should be able to simply dampen the strings with your right hand.

Of course the master of the tapping legato approach is Daniele Gottardo. I am no where near that level with my right hand.

In the end technique is a means to and end. Shredding and all that only interests me because I know the more stuff I can do, the more control I have over my own playing.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the more stuff you can do (well, hopefully), the more different sentiments you can express. I mean, try having a conversation when you can only say yes, no and maybe.

My fingerstyle tends more toward bossa nova type things, I don`t really use my nails for that. Also, they do REALLY get in the way if I try to play electric-besides, they chip and break like crazy. I`ve been taking calcium tablets since I don`t like milk but I`m not sure if it`s helping. I know a nail artist and she mentioned acrylic nails but I doubt it`s worth it for me.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

People eat a lot of fish here. I like seafood but I`m not a big fish fan. I end up eating a fair amount because it`s hard not to. I had some collagen tablets for a whle but I`m not sure they were all that helpful either.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived