Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Luthier Taku Sakashta feared slain

Caevan O’Shite

Taku Sakashta, gifted luthier and co-founder of Fernandes USA, is feared to have been slain:

Pressdemocrat.com Article

About Taku Sakashta SakashtaGuitars.com

Wow, this is terrible! I hope whoever did this is quickly found out and arrested.

Taku Sakashta was an incredible craftsman with a very profound reverence for the instrument, viewing it as an extension of the musician and as such a very personal thing, unique from one to another and often crafted them specifically to suit each given customer- some of whom were high-profile players, such as Robben Ford, Martin Simpson, Tuck Andress, Pat Martino, and Boz Scaggs. He made some exceptionally beautiful and very imaginative instruments.

Check out these carved-top guitars that he made...

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z89/themetalden2007/66taku-221x300.jpg

http://www.guitarspace.com/images/Sakashta_VR_Opera.jpg

http://www.velvetsound.com/sakashta_noupaul_opera_body.jpg

http://www.velvetsound.com/taku_sakashta_vr_combi.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~bayareajazz/myfilelocker/Photos/1/IMGP6195%20copy.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if he was shot. Here in Taiwan, and Skip can attest to Japan also--guns are illegal. SO basically people are not constantly getting murdered.

Well, to a certain segment of American society, guns are seen as some sort of statement of personal independence, as though one is still needing to tame the wild west. It is a mindset which doesn't appear in any other country on the planet. The result is that we live in a dangerous violent uncivilized society. And if you want to insure a quick departure from an elected political post all you have to do is to suggest that we do something to change that, such as regulating gun sales.

Sorry to run off topic. It is really tragic that a gifted luthier, someone who hand-built objects of great beauty intended to bring joy into the world, would meet such an end.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I read through the article, and I didn't see where it said he'd been shot. Did I miss that somewhere?

I think you are correct that it didn't specify...

Police described the death as a homicide, but declined to discuss details of the case.

Well, to a certain segment of American society, guns are seen as some sort of statement of personal independence, as though one is still needing to tame the wild west.

No disrespect intended Scott and not to veer off topic either....but I prefer to look on my guns as a personal defense statement rather than an independence one. I am also not looking to tame the Wild West, just protect my family and I from it.

LOL, I suggested he may have been shot. But Picker is right, it wasn't mentioned.

I guess I just assumed it, but who knows.

Lister, you have good points. In a society like the US where guns have already been a part of it for 100's of years. Of course making guns illegal is completely impossible.

I haven't played a Fernandez guitar. Right now I am borrowing my buddy's Strat while he is in Scotland, playing it through a Line 6 POD Farm. Great sounding through my pc speakers. I dig the British 18 watter (Bluesbreaker?) through the tweed 4/12

I haven't played a Fernandez guitar...

What's up with Fernandez guitars....? I always thought they were kind of mediocre. Are they now considered really good? I am so out of the loop as to what is good....I just play my old Strat and still enjoy her so much after all these years.

Taku Sakashta was also the co-founder of Fernandez USA. But those guitars I posted pics of above weren't Fernandez instruments- they're of his own line, Sakashta Guitars.

Nothing against Fernandez guitars in general or those of Fenrnandez USA, but I think his labor of love and pride and joy in his luthiery would have been the custom crafted instruments he made under his own name; and if I understand correctly, for the most part, no two were really quite the same, being made to suit the given player.

The following videos, featuring Taku Sakashta's luthiery being played live, were brought to my attention by "mdrs":

[video:youtube]

No disrespect intended Scott and not to veer off topic either....but I prefer to look on my guns as a personal defense statement rather than an independence one. I am also not looking to tame the Wild West, just protect my family and I from it.

That's why I said "to a certain segment of American society", because there is an intensely polarized portion of American culture out on the fringes beyond the mainstream who view ownership as a political issue, a hedge against government intrusion & an affirmation of personal rights. Which is a whole different mindset than personal protection, but the extremists are the ones driving the debate.

And I mentioned this not to set off a gun rights vs gun control argument, but to respond to the marked contrast between Taiwan & Japan as gun prohibited nations & the US as a nation which baffles many other countries with its gun policies.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Sure I get what you are saying....and I agree some of those nut types are a bit extreme to say the least.

I don't know whether to reply more though...it seems political :laugh: ......so I am going to stifle myself a bit. I have my own views on gun restrictions and banning etc which I am certain are counter to yours. :) Best left unwritten.

Briefly...about no guns in most of Asia and elsewhere..... look at the way dissent and unlawfulness is dealt with there. I am no expert on Japan and Taiwan and other countries in the region......but isn't justice pretty swift and sometimes brutal in some of these countries? Is it that much better there just because on the surface there are few gun related offenses ........just because they don't allow the law abiding population to own guns?

I look at the specs for Australia and it seems violent assaults climbed pretty steadily after they took away that nations handguns. Gun suicides went down but other suicides went up.

Maybe in Japan and Taiwan it feels better for the man on the street who is behaving himself. What about deeper though?

Oh BTW.....Robben is probably one of my all time favorite guitar players. If he chose Taku's guitars, they must be really damn fine instruments. I mean he has his pick of any guitars he wants.

Taku's workmanship looks waaaaay awesome. At $30,000 or so, I doubt I will ever hold one even, let alone own it.

What is the word on this? Is there some doubt about the woman who reported it. Is it a possible domestic deal? Why did they say they were not releasing the name of the woman who reported it?

Very strange.

May Taku Sakashta rest in peace...

Yeah; I keep hoping, though, that some bizarre story will unfold where he's actually OK, and either not who was found (though I don't wish it upon anyone else), or there wasn't even really a death at all... I know, pretty unrealistic, but he and his family sound sooo undeserving of such a thing...

What's up with Fernandez guitars....? I always thought they were kind of mediocre. Are they now considered really good? I am so out of the loop as to what is good....I just play my old Strat and still enjoy her so much after all these years.

Well, good on ya and your beloved Strat!

As for Fernandes, like any brand, it depends. Some of their mid- to high-end guitars are quite nice. If you go on their website, you'll see a section (just like every other commercial guitar maker) featuring a list of artists who use/endorse them. Of particular importance to me was Reeves Gabrels. As I understand, Dave Navarro is another Fernandes fan.

(Personally, I'd love to own one of their Ravelles.)

And the Nomads, with their built-in speakers- can be good travel guitars for someone on a tight budget.

Among the more unusual aspects of the company is that they offer their Sustainer (which essentially lets you have unlimited sustain) on many models- and as a part you can add to your own axe- and are among the few companies out their offering fretless guitars as a standard custom option. (The only others I know are Vigier and Godin.)

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Sure I get what you are saying....and I agree some of those nut types are a bit extreme to say the least.

I don't know whether to reply more though...it seems political :laugh: ......so I am going to stifle myself a bit. I have my own views on gun restrictions and banning etc which I am certain are counter to yours. :) Best left unwritten.

Briefly...about no guns in most of Asia and elsewhere..... look at the way dissent and unlawfulness is dealt with there. I am no expert on Japan and Taiwan and other countries in the region......but isn't justice pretty swift and sometimes brutal in some of these countries? Is it that much better there just because on the surface there are few gun related offenses ........just because they don't allow the law abiding population to own guns?

I look at the specs for Australia and it seems violent assaults climbed pretty steadily after they took away that nations handguns. Gun suicides went down but other suicides went up.

Maybe in Japan and Taiwan it feels better for the man on the street who is behaving himself. What about deeper though?

Two things to really avoid in Asia are getting seriously ill and running afoul of the law. I`m not sure how much either of those have to do with the presence or absence of guns.

In any case at least it`s the authorities dealing out the brutality. You may end up in prison but as far as I know you`re free to drop the soap, if ya net my drift...

In any case, every society has nutjobs. I think the amount of damage they are capable of is what`s different.

Anyway we would have to confine any statements to Taiwan and/or Japan. It`s way too diverse out here to make any sweeping generalizations. One of my favorite places in the Philippines-and one of the safest-is Cebu, where the guitar making industry is centered. That`s not the only local product, it`s also where many of the guns-legal and otherwise-come from.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Yeah Taiwan is very safe. I think the no gun law contributes to this, but it is also the face based culture aspect.

Generally I doubt there is much of a difference between the police here and in the US. Except here the police have an easier job--less violent crimes. But we are talking about an island the size of Florida..

May Taku Sakashta rest in peace...

Yeah; I keep hoping, though, that some bizarre story will unfold where he's actually OK, and either not who was found (though I don't wish it upon anyone else), or there wasn't even really a death at all... I know, pretty unrealistic, but he and his family sound sooo undeserving of such a thing...

+1 keep us posted if you hear anything new...

Take care, Larryz

Archived