Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1502551 - 09/06/05 04:03 PM GC sells mega scratched guitars as new(?)
GuitarPlayerFL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Florida
I've pulled brand new Les Pauls off the wall at GC, looked at the back, and there are a TON of belt buckle scratches.

These guitars are already priced close to 2G and they're going to sell them as new? I wouldn't give you more than 250-300 at best.

Another reason why I don't buy "new" guitars off the rack. I will only special order them.

Check your local store and see if you find the same.

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

GP Island
#1502552 - 09/06/05 04:54 PM Re: GC sells mega scratched guitars as new(?)
LPCustom Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
I checked out a couple of Les Paul Standards at Guitar Center just this morning. Both were in mint condition except for the fingerprints (before and after I checked them out).

I'm sure some guitars on the wall do get mishandled. Guitar Center will haggle with you over the price if the guitar isn't in pristine condition.

But $200 to $300 for a new Gibson LP? That seems really low to me even if the finish is beat all to hell. The hardware on the thing is worth more than that. Sure the finish is a big part of it, but I would expect them to take about that much off the regular price if the finish is really damaged.

#1502553 - 09/06/05 05:30 PM Re: GC sells mega scratched guitars as new(?)
southpawstrat Offline

Loc: Connecticut
I used to work in a local music store and let me tell you some guitars on the floor do indeed get beat up. It's tough to keep tabs on every kid with a mowhawk and spikes when there's someone else who genuinely wants to do business. But we used to cut people a break on floor models that got mishandled.

#1502554 - 09/06/05 05:30 PM Re: GC sells mega scratched guitars as new(?)
southpawstrat Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Double post, d'oh!

#1502555 - 09/06/05 05:57 PM Re: GC sells mega scratched guitars as new(?)
GuitarWolf Offline
Gold Member

Loc: CANADA....Eh!
Quote:
Originally posted by GuitarPlayerSoCal:

Another reason why I don't buy "new" guitars off the rack. I will only special order them.

Yea but what happens if the guitar you ordered sounds like a dud? I mean quite often you can play two identical guitar models and each delivers a unique sonic texture in comparison to the other. Iíve played Gibsons that sound like crap and Squires that sound like a dream, which for me further supports the risk of ordering "unseen" (and un-played) from shop.

#1502556 - 09/06/05 06:45 PM Re: GC sells mega scratched guitars as new(?)
Museeip Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Although in my opinion scratches on the back of a guitar don't matter(and will get there eventually, if you play your guitar), I understand the worry since so much of what you pay for in a Gibson is the looks. As a former GC employee I can also relate to the difficulty you might have keeping guitars looking "New". Also as a former employee I can say that GC has ruined the "music store" as we know it. GC is to music stores as KFC is to fried chicken.

#1502557 - 09/06/05 07:33 PM Re: GC sells mega scratched guitars as new(?)
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Go support "Mom 'n' Pop" shops, and don't let a little buckle-rash get between you and a great guitar. So's t'speak. ;\)

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#1502558 - 09/06/05 07:48 PM Re: GC sells mega scratched guitars as new(?)
caprae Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA
Getting off topic, but Ditto Caevan...the local family-owned shop, Chick Music, in Athens, GA will do a complete set up your guitar when you buy it and I believe they don't charge for that. I've seen Van filing the nut of a $180 acoustic for someone in order to make it play as good as possible. You won't find that at GC. Heck, if you bring a guitar into Chick they only charge $20 for a general setup - neck tension, string height, intonation.

#1502559 - 09/06/05 09:46 PM Re: GC sells mega scratched guitars as new(?)
Dr. Ellwood Offline
10k Club

Loc: MoTown
Quote:
I've pulled brand new Les Pauls off the wall at GC, looked at the back, and there are a TON of belt buckle scratches.

These guitars are already priced close to 2G and they're going to sell them as new? I wouldn't give you more than 250-300 at best.

Here's a scratched one..would ya give me 200 or 300 for it? hay I'll even throw in the original case just to sweeten the deal for ya:

#1502560 - 09/06/05 10:24 PM Re: GC sells mega scratched guitars as new(?)
pollock Offline
Gold Member

Loc: (Vagabond)
In my opinion, scratches show that the guitar has experience & character. \:D

If I ever get the chance i would buy a scratched guitar in a second. What does the finish have to do with the sound?

But I do see understand what you're saying, I wouldn't pay FULL price for it, i would make it a deal.

http://www.blujavu.com
http://www.myspace.com/blujavu

#1502561 - 09/09/05 11:30 AM Re: GC sells mega scratched guitars as new(?)
LPCustom Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ellwood:
Quote:

Here's a scratched one..would ya give me 200 or 300 for it? hay I'll even throw in the original case just to sweeten the deal for ya:

Now that's a 335 dot with character. Lee, you can't be serious about selling that for $250 to $300. Can you?

#1502562 - 09/09/05 11:33 AM Re: GC sells mega scratched guitars as new(?)
Dr. Ellwood Offline
10k Club

Loc: MoTown
LIKE NO!!!!! was just pullin his g string is all!!!! \:D

#1502563 - 09/09/05 11:40 AM Re: GC sells mega scratched guitars as new(?)
LPCustom Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ellwood:
LIKE NO!!!!! was just pullin his g string is all!!!! \:D
:D Okay, 'cause I was gonna offer you $300 for it. I thought you might have gone temporarily insane... \:D

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose