Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GEM R-PX, sustain pedal help

Nillerbabs

I own it!

Now, to the not so funny part. Having one sustain pedal for a keyboard and one for the GEM hardly seems necessary. How do I set up a keyboard to control sustain of the GEM? The keyboard will be a P250 or a NE3.

/ Niels

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm somewhat surprised that the sustain pedal function doesn't automatically engage upon connecting the RP-X to the P250/NE3, as a default parameter. I have used the sustain pedal on several controller keyboards connected to my RP-X, with nary an adjustment necessary. I am not familiar with the MIDI controller functions of the P250 or NE3, but you may want to examine the MIDI cc codes within these boards. You may also want to investigate as to whether there may an alternate jack on your controller keyboard to connect the sustain pedal. On some keyboards, instead of plugging the sustain pedal into the "sustain" or "damper" jack, you have to use a "switch pedal" or "foot pedal" jack when using MIDI controller functions/codes.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Did you buy the GEM Multipedal accessory? If not, you should be able to just play your P250 or your NE3 (whichever is connected to the MIDI-IN of your RPX) and have the Sustain CC transmitted and received by your GEM RPX. It won't be the variable type of sustain (which the RPX also supports) unless you're using a pedal designed to transmit more than just on/off. However, unless you're doing solo piano work, you probably won't notice a big difference between the simple on/off and the variable types of sustain.

I am not an expert on this, but I will share this story in case it helps:

When I first got my Roland XV synth, I was using a friend's old Korg DW8000 as the MIDI controller for the first few weeks. The sustain pedal which came with the DW8000 worked fine for causing the sounds created by the DW8000's built-in sound engine to sustain, but the Roland XV did not recognize the sustain commands. About a month later, when I bought a modern M-Audio MIDI controller and a new sustain pedal for it, then the Roland XV synth recognized the sustain commands.

Yikes, it seems as I've got an issue!

The pedal is now working fine and dandy, but today when I turned on the RPX and played it, all notes were funnily trebly and mid-lacking. I tried to give it a factory reset, and suddenly all notes were played at a fixed volume at maximum velocity level. Weird... well, I rebooted, and now it is as before - the acoustic pianos are flat, trebly and mid-lacking, like a bad emulation of an upright. This is especially bad with the Fazioli, which I really appreciated. It also does not respond to dynamics lower than pianissimo.

Generally, I also find it very hard to understand the editor. That is also because A) I'm a software idiot and B) I have never dealt with MIDI before, so I don't understand the terminology. Basically, I'm having a hard time understanding how to edit patches and make the hardware unit sound as if it is actually responding to the alterations I make to the patch.

Is this a return to sender, or can this be dealt with? And... well, geez... ! :P

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

Archived