Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hey BlueStrat...
#1499602 08/14/05 06:46 AM
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
I was rummaging through some old boxes and found a MXR sized Mesa / Boogie channel switch box. Single LED, only one 1/4" jack (on one side) and a SPST switch. I have no use for that anymore (the amp it went with is long gone), so I was thinking of gutting it, drilling it and putting something else INTO it... \:D Got any suggestions for a nasty (and yet quick / easy - I'm just as busy as ever ;\) ) fuzz project? Something like a FuzzFace? With easy (preferably Rat Shack) parts availability?

I know I'm asking a lot, but thank you sir!

GP Island
Re: Hey BlueStrat...
#1499603 08/14/05 02:13 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
That Range-Master would fit the bill, but it doesn't have tons of gain like a Fuzz Face. You could built a Schmidt trigger type fuzz in there without a lot of parts. One 741 chip, five resistors, one pot, three caps, input/output jacks, and a SPDT switch would be all you'd need. Radio Shack doesn't have the type of switches you'd need; they're a bit flimsy to be stomped on. Not true bypass, but the input impedance on a opamp is infinite (in theory) so it shouldn't load the signal too much, and I figure you'll be using it in the studio more than on stage, right?

I'm thinking a non-inverting opamp stage with a gain of about 1,001 (gain is always 1 + R1/R2 in a non-inverting circuit) one pack of 1M and one pack of 1k would do the job, as well as a 100k audio taper pot. If you wanted adjustable gain you could get a 100k linear pot (don't know how you'd get everything in that little box) for a fuzz control. Also you'd need one of the little 1.75" square PCB boards RS sells for IC circuits. These come two to a package with a break line in the middle of the board, but don't break it - saw it. I've tried breaking it and the results weren't pretty. \:\(

I'll play around with my breadboard and see what I can come up with. \:\) Is it the small size MXR box, like a Distortion + comes in?

BlueStrat
a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;\)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html
#1499604 08/15/05 06:45 AM
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Yup, it's the same size as a Distortion +, Phase 90 or Dyna Comp. And you're right - it's going to be mostly for the studio and not for stage use. But then again, I guess I could always make a online order through Parts Express or Mouser or whatever. I'd rather have true bypass and ruggedness "just in case". \:\)

I'm probably going to get a Rangemaster - either as a kit or a clone - probably the HBE Germania. For $70-$100, that sounds like a good idea... but I guess I could just build one from scratch myself - the schematics are available online. But I figured, why not buy the Rangemaster and build a fuzz in the extra box instead?

#1499605 08/15/05 12:25 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
If you're going to order the parts through Mouser, you can get Alpha 16mm pots and get two controls on the pedal. Also, Alpha sells a DPDT footswitch for $5 that has turned out to be fairly robust.

The boards from Radio Shack that I like to use are 276-159B boards.

BlueStrat
a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;\)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Link Copied to Clipboard