01/04/05 03:36 AM
01/04/05 03:36 AM
,,UNITED STATES
H
hard truth Offline OP
hard truth  Offline OP
H

,,UNITED STATES
One of the Texas Guitar shows is coming to the San Francisco Bay Area. I've never been. Are they worthwhile or not?

GP Island
Re: "Texas" guitar shows #1472467
01/04/05 09:45 PM
01/04/05 09:45 PM
,VA,UNITED STATES
strat0124 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
strat0124  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

,VA,UNITED STATES
Head to Dallas into Deep Elum and you'll find plenty of guitar shows!

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in
Re: "Texas" guitar shows #1472468
01/10/05 08:15 PM
01/10/05 08:15 PM
,,UNITED STATES
H
hard truth Offline OP
hard truth  Offline OP
H

,,UNITED STATES
I'll answer my own question...since I went to the Texas guitar show at the Marin Civic Center in the San Francisco Bay Area this weekend. Admission was ten dollars. There were 45 (my guestimate) booths. Most had used guitars, there was a handful of booths with parts, accessories, or new hand built guitars. You could probably see the same number of guitars by making the rounds to six or seven good guitar stores if you live in a larger city, but it would take you all day to do it. I was able to check out everything I wanted to within three hours. The crowd was mostly middle aged white guys. The ambient noise was quieter than at a typical guitar center on a busy day thanks to most players being considerate with their levels. The available instruments were appropriate for this crowd, there weren't many wildly colored, oddly shaped shredder's guitars. There were lots of gibsons, fenders and martins of all ages. A few oddities were spotted. Remember Travis Bean guitars with aluminum necks?

The best part was that one could play some very nice vintage guitars without having to ask a salesman to get it out of a glass case and having
them hover over you nervously while you try to hear it over the teenager playing Van Halen licks at the other end of the store. This made it worth the ten dollars and three hours I invested.

Amazingly the only thing I bought was a bootleg DVD that compiled all of the Beatles promos and many of their TV appearances. Finding this DVD was worth it alone.

Re: "Texas" guitar shows #1472469
01/10/05 10:07 PM
01/10/05 10:07 PM
North Dallas
Guitar Geezer Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Guitar Geezer  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

North Dallas
Sorry for the delay...been moving :rolleyes:

45 Dealers ain't nothin to sneeze at, but if anyone ever gets a chance to go to Arlington TX in October..you have to check out the Arlington guitar show...it has to be the Grandaddy of all of them. You have a hard time seeing it all in one day...just leave the VISA at home ;\)

Lynn G
Re: "Texas" guitar shows #1472470
01/21/05 11:49 PM
01/21/05 11:49 PM
Dallas
G
Gruupi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Gruupi  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
G

Dallas
I live in the Dallas area and have gone to both the Dallas and Arlington shows on and off for many years. If you have never been you are in for a treat. You will see everything under one roof. Just imagine a huge convention center filled with both guitars and guitarists.

Since I have been to so many I am a bit jaded and usually get bored now after a couple of hours unless I go with friends. I don't really ever buy anything other than trinkets, I just don't trust buying from some dealer that I don't know from Adam. Usually these days there is also lots of live music which is more than worth the price of admission anyway.

You will be surprised to see some no name guy sitting in a booth just burnin on the guitar. I first came across Bill Brozeman (SP?) at the first Dallas show and couldn't believe a guitar could even be played that way. After that I read up a bit on him. Almost every time I go I come across someone new that can do amazing things on guitar.

So by all means, if you have never gone before, check it out. The ticket prices aren't much ($10? or so). You can barely go to a movie for that. It's a good afternoons entertainment if you are into the guitar at all.

Re: "Texas" guitar shows #1472471
01/22/05 08:30 PM
01/22/05 08:30 PM
North Dallas
Guitar Geezer Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Guitar Geezer  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

North Dallas
Arlington October 15 -16
How bout a Forumite Tailgate Party
\:D