Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: 47-year-old virgin blows Simon Cowle out of his chair...

Griffinator

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, a couple of comments:

First, great song (from one of my all-time favorite Broadway shows), and sung VERY well.

Second, these were the types of things that caused me to get into the American version of this show last summer -- i.e., people who long ago missed the American Idol age cutoff but nonetheless had tremendous and surprising talents to share with the world.

Finally, and BY FAR most importantly, who is that SMOKIN' HOT judge sitting between Simon Cowell and Piers Morgan?!?!? :love:

Noah

Okay, a couple of comments:

First, great song (from one of my all-time favorite Broadway shows), and sung VERY well.

Second, these were the types of things that caused me to get into the American version of this show last summer -- i.e., people who long ago missed the American Idol age cutoff but nonetheless had tremendous and surprising talents to share with the world.

Finally, and BY FAR most importantly, who is that SMOKIN' HOT judge sitting between Simon Cowell and Piers Morgan?!?!? :love:

Noah

Amanda Holden. Just Google :-)

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

She did her thang, dawg! Props to her.

Personally, not my cup of tea. Never heard of the musical before.

Yes, I do watch musicals, preferably at the theatre. Last two I saw were Lion King (Toronto) and Avenue Q (NYC). Which I assume most people here would thumb their noses at. So let's settle on some middle ground: The Sound of Music. Oh, and I did see Hello, Dolly! with Carol Channing in Atlanta, too. Hopefully that counts for something.

Can Susan Boyle give Babs a run for her money? Bette? Ethel? Would you pay $500 to hear her sing showtunes for 3 hours in a concert hall? After all, that's what Idol is all about: finding talent that can be sold.

I don't deny she has talent. She's got that voice that lies somewhere between opera and pop, full of vibrato. And kudos to her for taking that stage at age 47. Brilliant!

But she has some hurdles, doesn't she? Just look at NoahZark's reaction. He watched the video and the burning question on his mind is "who is that SMOKIN' HOT judge?"

Maybe after Ms. Boyle's CDs go platinum based solely on her talent? Or will the next Charlotte Church emerge to steal the spotlight? (This audience does so love the idea of the "child prodigy"; it's hard to beat.)

Personally I think she would do better in the theatre, doing musicals (assuming her acting skills are up to snuff). I would love to see her in that setting.

Would you pay $500 to hear her sing showtunes for 3 hours in a concert hall? After all, that's what Idol is all about: finding talent that can be sold.

AFAIK, this was "England's got Talent" or something, not Idol. Different scene. Nobody is expecting her to do anything except increase ratings, sell a bunch of singles then go back to normal life.

Thats true... its a cycle... in the UK we seem to love those shows... the whole underdog thing... the last pop idol thing in the UK was painful to watch... it was like drowning in a vat of syrup and tears... heavy vibrato soul singer nightmare for me...

But... I still don't get Amanda Holden... cute yeah.. but famous for being famous... or at least being married to someone famous and then having affairs with other famous people... I think she did some acting at some point...

Of course, the staged sympathy setup, panel actors and audience manipulation were world class. :freak:

Gotta give 'em credit, though. After all, that's the formula for generating ratings!

Noah

P.S. It blows me away to think how much money Simon Cowell must make in a year. He gets something like $45M annually just for judging American Idol, so if his fee for his other two shows -- Britain's Got Talent and X-Factor -- are anything remotely similar, and if he's also taking producer money for any/all of these shows, he's making an absolute truckload of coin!

Nobody is expecting her to do anything except increase ratings, sell a bunch of singles then go back to normal life.

By the looks of THIS she may get a longer shelf life than expected. Good on her! With all the attention, though, just hope she doesn't transform into the Village Virgin Diva From Hell. ;)

She's good , but I find her vibrato a bit too rapid, it's sort of nervous sounding, for my taste. I think she would be better cast in live theater/TV than on pop records or radio.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I quite agree. Also, she's still unpolished; match her with a good vocal coach and she'll step up for sure.

She's in a tough spot. Expectations will run really high. As impressive as it was, being an entertainer takes the whole package.

I remember the last guy, the opera guy. He went on Oprah and was horrible. For a talent show he did great, but he's not remotely close to being a pro opera singer.

A friend who's into musical theater big time said Fantine in "Les Miserables" might be the best female part ever on Broadway.

Why?

1. You appear in the first act and grab the audience's sympathy.

2. You get to sing (arguably) the best song in the show "I Dreamed a Dream" and bring down the house.

3. Fantine dies and brings the audience to tears.

4. You get the next 2 hours off and don't have to be back on stage until Fantine returns as a ghost at the end of the show.

She's good , but I find her vibrato a bit too rapid, it's sort of nervous sounding, for my taste. I think she would be better cast in live theater/TV than on pop records or radio.
Agreed, this is one of the points I was trying to make earlier. Her options open up if she is able to sustain a note without vibrato.

Her vibrato is perfect for pre-blues-influenced popular music (the kind people would buy sheet music for and sing around the piano in the parlor).

edit: Not a bad thing, really. Maybe it's time to recycle that catalog? Biggest problem I see is dealing with the dated lyrics. Do you stay true and risk alienating a new audience or do you modernize and risk criticism for not staying true?

I quite agree. Also, she's still unpolished; match her with a good vocal coach and she'll step up for sure.

She's in a tough spot. Expectations will run really high. As impressive as it was, being an entertainer takes the whole package.

I remember the last guy, the opera guy. He went on Oprah and was horrible. For a talent show he did great, but he's not remotely close to being a pro opera singer.

Agreed; also something I tried to point out earlier. She is not quite Barbara Streisand, Bette Midler, Ethel Merman, Cher, etc. yet.

Nobody is expecting her to do anything except increase ratings, sell a bunch of singles then go back to normal life.

By the looks of THIS she may get a longer shelf life than expected. Good on her! With all the attention, though, just hope she doesn't transform into the Village Virgin Diva From Hell. ;)

These two facts...
Yesterday we reported how Susan Boyle's Britain's Got Talent performance has already been watched by millions of people online, including more than four million views on Yahoo! Video.
...and...
In the UK, the popularity of her performance has led to another recording of the song by Patti Lupone entering the midweek charts. Under the rules of Britain's Got Talent, it's unlikely that Susan's version will get a release until after the series ends - despite massive public demand.
...leads to this offer...
Britain's Got Talent judge Simon Cowell will reportedly offer Susan a record deal whether or not she triumphs in the show.
...because, again, it shows that she is a product that can sell en masse. It's just a matter of packaging.

If you were a producer who met an unsigned talent who had an online video with over 4 million views in a matter of days and generated "massive public demand" for a recording of just a cover single, wouldn't you invest in that deal, too?

Archived