Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

American Idol Update

stepay

Best performers last night in order of greatness (greatest being first):

1) Matt Giraud -- Dude can sing, and while he didn't play any outstanding piano last night, he can do that too.

2) Danny Gokey -- Very solid.

3) Anoop Desai-- Easy song to sing, but he pulled it off very well.

4) Adam Lambert -- This dude has crazy vocal skills, and though odd, his version of Ring of Fire was GREAT.

5) Allison Iraheta -- This 16 year old girl has some serious talent.

I think all above but Anoop have real star quality. This is a crazy season -- by far the best field top to bottom ever.

Of the contestants remaining, I think only Scott McIntyre and Michael Sarver have ho-hum talent. The rest are damn good. If you're not watching this year, you should consider it. They really have found some decent talent.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry to say I have not been keeping up with it for the past few weeks. This week, I have the flu and so I've been sleeping most of the days and nights away. But I did wake up to see that it was a "Grand Ole Opry" night and decided I could pass on it.

I need to get back into it.

Sorry Stepay, but I have to disagree. PErformance of the night was Chris. Got out from behind his guitar and did a great performance! I totally agree with what Simon said about Adam's performance last night: it was horrific and self-indulgent. It was a horrible arrangement and had no business being on "Country" night. Adam should have respected the genre more, and the fact that he didn't is a big negative in my view.

Anoop was the biggest surprise last night doing a memorable and emotional rendition of Willie Nelson's signature song. That's tough to pull off.

I agree with you about Allison...how can a 16 year old be THAT good and THAT polished?

If I had to guess, I think Michael is the one leaving us tonight. But we'll see. I like him personally, but he doesn't seem to be of the same caliber as many of the others. And if I'm right, I doubt there will be a judges save used tonight for him.

Scott disppointed me, too. You can't help but want him to do well...but he was just okay last night. He's safe, though, I'm sure.

Matt...yea, he's got good vocals, but I just don't like him that much. I can never remember a thing he sings! He's totally fogettable.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who can read binary, and those who can't.

Sorry Stepay, but I have to disagree. PErformance of the night was Chris. Got out from behind his guitar and did a great performance! I totally agree with what Simon said about Adam's performance last night: it was horrific and self-indulgent. It was a horrible arrangement and had no business being on "Country" night. Adam should have respected the genre more, and the fact that he didn't is a big negative in my view.

Anoop was the biggest surprise last night doing a memorable and emotional rendition of Willie Nelson's signature song. That's tough to pull off.

I agree with you about Allison...how can a 16 year old be THAT good and THAT polished?

If I had to guess, I think Michael is the one leaving us tonight. But we'll see. I like him personally, but he doesn't seem to be of the same caliber as many of the others. And if I'm right, I doubt there will be a judges save used tonight for him.

Scott disppointed me, too. You can't help but want him to do well...but he was just okay last night. He's safe, though, I'm sure.

Matt...yea, he's got good vocals, but I just don't like him that much. I can never remember a thing he sings! He's totally fogettable.

Well, to each his own. I thought Adam's version was GREAT. I do agree with you though that in "Grand Ole Opry" week that he should have respected the genre more. I also agree that Chris did an amazing job. That guy has a great voice and would be very commercial -- the ladies like him. That shows how good this group is -- that he can do so well and not be considered in my top 5. We also agree on Allison. She is truly remarkable and will make lots of money as a performer even if she doesn't win.

Crazily talented group this year.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Yeah, that version of Ring of Fire was unique and he did a great job. He has an amazing range and great control. While I usually agree with Simon, he was way off on this one.

Agreed. Randy Jackson had it right on Adam this time. That dude is insane with the vocals...powerful, high notes, in control -- reminds me of Steve Perry. Paula said the version of the song reminded her of Led Zeppelin. I can see that too.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

I'm sorry to say I have not been keeping up with it for the past few weeks. This week, I have the flu and so I've been sleeping most of the days and nights away. But I did wake up to see that it was a "Grand Ole Opry" night and decided I could pass on it.

I need to get back into it.

Well, get better and then watch! It's worth your time this year I promise.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

I liked Ring of Fire as well. I told my wife, "This sounds like Johnny Cash meets Nine Inch Nails."....and then Randy offered the same reference. I'm not sure I would know a Nine Inch Nails song if I heard one, but I received some nuptual cred, nonetheless!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

My only problem with Adam is he feels like he had to go stratospheric on everything. Kinda like David Lee Roth's little scream - get annoying after hearing it so much.

Like Randy, I really liked the reharm on Anoop's version of "You Were Always On My Mind". Now that I'm in a band that does some country, I my download that version and learn it.

The jury's still out on Megan. She's definately got a unique voice, but I'm not sure it I like it or not.

I actually though that Matt was the best last night. Danny wasn't bad at all. Scott needs to stop giving excuses and get it together.

Chris did a nice job, as did Lil & Alexis

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Yeah, that version of Ring of Fire was unique and he did a great job. He has an amazing range and great control. While I usually agree with Simon, he was way off on this one.

+1...I thought it was incredible. Not something I would listen to, but very impressive. My wife hated it.

Why should he sing country? Not everyone else sounded country. Lil tried and it burned her. I wounder if Adam and the band came up with the arrangement or someone else already did it like that?

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

He found that version on the net done by someone else.

I don't like Megan. Her voice is forgettable ane when she goes into that half speed version of the twist, as she does every time, I want to turn the channel. To me, Lil is the most overrated. No real emotion in her voice. Yes, she has pipes and power, but no soul.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Ring of Fire was pretty out there....and if it was his version, that guy has a serious career ahead of him: that was the most deconstructed and reconstructed piece I think I may have ever heard. If he lifted from somewhere else, I'd like to hear that version and see what else THAT guy has.

I wasn't even sure I liked it, but I'll never forget it. I know everyone said NIN, but I was thinking more Godsmack, and waiting for big thunderous rock. Damn cool.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

+1...I thought it was incredible. Not something I would listen to, but very impressive. My wife hated it.

Why should he sing country? Not everyone else sounded country. Lil tried and it burned her. I wounder if Adam and the band came up with the arrangement or someone else already did it like that?

Adam's version of Ring of Fire was one he got from Jeff Buckley.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

He found that version on the net done by someone else.

I don't like Megan. Her voice is forgettable ane when she goes into that half speed version of the twist, as she does every time, I want to turn the channel. To me, Lil is the most overrated. No real emotion in her voice. Yes, she has pipes and power, but no soul.

I agree 100% on both Megan and Lil. Initially I thought Lil was going to be really good, but I agree she just doesn't quite have the soul -- at least she hasn't shown it yet.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Bye, Bye Alexis - Jolene was wretched, but she sang it better during the elimination. I also loved Adam's Ring of Fire. Interesting, how the judges praised David Cook last year for doing inventive arrangements, but not this year.

I think the judges thought that Adam just got too psychodelic with the arrangement. While I know the guy's got some crazy skills, he needs to start being a bit more commercial, or he'll lose touch with the average viewer, and end up the one that gets the judges save.

When Alexis sang for her life it sounded to me like she'd thrown out her voice the night before. Was not very good.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I can't believe Alexis is gone! I was sure she'd be in the top 5. I was almost right...Michael was 2nd from the bottom! He's going to have to have a stellar performance next week to stay in, I think. But he gets the top ten tour no matter what.

Right now I think Chris is the one to watch....he's the dark horse that could surprise everyone.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who can read binary, and those who can't.

I know Randy said last nite it was Jeff Buckley, but I can't seem to find any mention anywhere what album, or where Buckley did it. Any insight into this? I'd love to know where I can buy/hear it.

David Cook, inventive? Really??? He "rocked" them, but he wasn't all that inventive either in arrangement or performance.

That Ring of Fire was definitely inventive...and strange enough that it rubbed people the wrong way (some would argue doing that to a Johnny Cash song was sacrilege).

T

David Cook, inventive? Really??? He "rocked" them, but he wasn't all that inventive either in arrangement or performance....

I thought Cook's version of "Billy Jean" was pretty cool....not nearly as twisted up as this, however....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

It would really piss me off to be the one that came up with a cool take on a song and then have some Idol wanna-be rip it off on national TV. I wish he had done more than say "I found this interesting version on the net." But I guess that is better than when Daughtry did his take on a JC song and seemed to take credit for the arrangement, only to be called out on the net and have to make a statement the next week.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I know Randy said last nite it was Jeff Buckley, but I can't seem to find any mention anywhere what album, or where Buckley did it. Any insight into this? I'd love to know where I can buy/hear it.

Yeah, I don't know either -- either Randy was wrong or it's very obscure and hard to find. I looked a little too and couldn't find it.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Top Five (in no particular order):

Lil

Kris

Adam

Danny

Matt

That's a very good guess of how it WILL turn out. I think though that Allison may be the most successful of the group -- she has serious pipes and since she's just 16 she could appeal to the youth of today and grow up with them.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

It would really piss me off to be the one that came up with a cool take on a song and then have some Idol wanna-be rip it off on national TV. I wish he had done more than say "I found this interesting version on the net."

Yeah, but who knows what else he might have said. They only show a brief clip of his conversation with Randy Travis. And who knows what conversations there were with the Musical Director that weren't broadcast.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone else here saw American Idol last night. There are some pretty good singers in this bunch, but one interesting thing in particular happened last night. The first singer, Danny Gokey, sang Stand By Me, with a funky arrangement that had jazzy chord substitutions that would sound at home in a modern black gospel choir - I love that stuff. It was a very nice arrangement, and Danny is an excellent singer.

So, anyway, all the judges except Paula Abdul (!) made disparaging remarks about the arrangement, including Randy Jackson, which surprised me. Then Paula said she liked the arrangement, and thought the chord substitutions matched the brilliance of his voice, which was a cool thing to say, I thought. Then it was Simon's turn, and he said something to Paula like "how can you say a thing like that? I can't understand you", or something like that. It was like he didn't know what a chord substitution was or something. Kind of amusing. Then again, he always takes digs at Paula, it's a shtick.

Some guy blew me away doing an incredible take on Mad World.

AI was on in the background. Nothing else last night grabbed my attention.

This is a very difficult song anyway and he sang it up so high I couldn't believe he could hold pitch on those soft arpeggiated triads. Sorry - the singer in me.

Archived