Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Xaviere guitars - anyone own one?

StratPaulBoogie

I was looking at Xaviere guitars on the guitarfetish.com site. I've also seen them in my Guitar Player magz. The descriptions have me intrigued - "graphite nuts...loud output pickups"- most of the strat & tele models are priced at $169. Anyone own one of these? If so, is it worth it?
Insert witty pop culture quote or reference here "_________

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know about the guitars, but I picked up a pair of the GFX 'bucker sized P90s they sell, and they are mighty sweet. I'd like to get one of their semi-hollow tele-shaped boxes with the P90s, I bet they're cool.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I've heard good things about them and was about to buy one but read that their neck pocket isn't std fender sized so you'll never be able to buy a replacement neck from fenders. That being said, if you'll never upgrade the neck then I would go for it.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I'm really curious about this myself. The crux of the matter- are they just good guitars for the price, or are they good guitars that happen to have amazingly low prices?

They certainly look nice, and I've seen nothing but good in the reviews.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Wow very intersting on all their prices, very reasonable... lic. floyds for $60 to $70 for the various finishes.

I may have to check out one of their guitars soon.

Thanks for sharing.

Schecter C-1 Classic & Hellraiser C-1 FR / Hagstrom Viking Deluxe / Epi. PR5-E (Acoustic/Elec) / Les Paul Ultra II / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 / Kramer Striker

Amps:eVh 5150 III

Effects:Boss Gt-10

Where are they made?

Undoubtedly, some country where the populace isn't troubled by an epicanthic fold in the flesh around their eyes, probably China. Man, did you ever wonder what the Chinese must think, seeing all the guitars that they make for sale in the US? They've just got to think everybody here is like...well, us here on this site, guitar-obsessed yoyos with nothing more in life to concern themselves with than amassing more guitars than we can possibly use.

They are wrong about that...aren't they?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

They`re not all shipped away. Beijing and Shanghai both have interersting music stores although I didn`t have time to visit Beijing`s main music street. The problem there is the dry climate-I saw a few acoustics where the glued necks had partly separated.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I have the thin line Tele knock off. I think it's called the XV620. I have the new version with the grafite nut and better tuners. For the $202 I paid for it, it's an amazing guitar. Fit and finish is great, the pickups sound wonderful, and really light weight. Mine is red with a maple neck and I love it. My next Xaviere will be the Tele with P90's, and I too want the seafoam green next time. They are painted with imron paint,so it's really durable. An inexspesive guitar with great pickups, upgraded electronics,and a real bent steel bridge plate. Most inexspensive guitars have cast bridge plates. I love the neck, and the frets were done great. Took mine out of the box, tuned it up and have been enjoying it ever since. Let us know how you like those P90's.

I know what you mean! I like light weight guitars and they have a bunch of them! To answer Dannys question, I think they are really well made guitars at amazing prices. Right now, they have blem semi hollow Strats with P90's for $160!!! Sick! Enjoy it.

Since this thread started I have been checking out their site and decided to try one of their pickups. I ordered a VEH bridge pickup to replace my stocker in my Kramer.

I ordered last night and it shipped today so I can say they ship fast :)

Schecter C-1 Classic & Hellraiser C-1 FR / Hagstrom Viking Deluxe / Epi. PR5-E (Acoustic/Elec) / Les Paul Ultra II / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 / Kramer Striker

I made the leap and ordered one Thursday. I'm getting the "ES-335 copy" in Seafoam green. The site says those models (XV-900) are shipping in Feb., so it looks like I'll have to wait! :whistle:

WOW! :freak: VERY NICE looking 335 copies. These are fairly new to GFS. I would love to pick one up! I really like the fact that they didn't put huge block inlays on the fretboard. I find big inlays very unattractive and they seem to be the norm on a lot of value priced instruments.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I've got the XV-500 (Les Paul copy). Shipped to my door in a hard case for $281. It's an incredible value. SOLID 2-piece mahogany with a real maple cap (though I'm sure the flame top is veneer). The GFS Crunchy Pats aren't necessarily the kind of pickups I'd choose (high-output ceramic), but they sound fine for the time being. Alpha audio taper pots and generic caps.

It was set up nicely right out of the box. I've had it a month and a half now and I still haven't had to touch the neck or action. The only thing I had to do was replace the tuners, which were junk.

I played it at a gig last Saturday. I started talking to guy in the audience...he turned out to be a bit of a gear snob (he laughed at me when I told him my Epiphone '56 Gold Top was a really good guitar). He didn't recognize the Xaviere and asked me if it was a custom build. He said it looked and sounded great. When I told him it was a $200 Chinese guitar, his jaw dropped. I got it and handed it to him to try out. He played it for a minute or so and said, "There ain't a damn thing wrong with this guitar!" :thu:

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp300/mmenege/100_0167.jpg

"I'm very easy to please. I just want everyone in the palm of my hand."

--Duke Ellington

Thanks for your review Funkwire, I'm glad I decided to take the leap and get one. My seafoam green ES-335 ships Feb. 9th, and I can't wait! :D

Very cool! Did you order the one with the P-90s?

"I'm very easy to please. I just want everyone in the palm of my hand."

--Duke Ellington

I know everyone here is psyched about getting a quality guitar cheap and I don't want to be a wet blanket but I think we should be thinking about exactly why these guitars are so cheap and about consumer responsibility.

The reason products produced in China, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc. are so inexpensive is that manufacturers there are free of the regulations governing child labor, workplace safety, pollution and general treatment and pay of workers that are in effect in most Western countries. A lot of Chinese factories are essentially large-scale sweatshops.

So before plunking down $200 for a Xaviere Les Paul, you might want to consider who made it and in what conditions.

My $0.02.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

So before plunking down $200 for a Xaviere Les Paul, you might want to consider who made it and in what conditions.

That isn't being a wet blanket, its a valid reminder about being a moral consumer.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

I am not trying to stir a pot, etc. but not everyone can afford a $1000+ dollars to get a non overseas guitar.

I agree on trying to buy USA made if possible. But it's getting harder and harder, Try going to Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart and see how many things are made in China/Korea/etc vs. here, I would wager 89% is all overseas items.

Hell I try and support the Ma' and Pa' type shops from diner's to guitar shops (even though alot of time I know I am paying a bit more vs. getting an item off the internet) It makes me feel good inside to know I am trying to keep em going.

And once again I am not looking or trying to start a debate, etc. this is just my take on things.

PS my VEH pickup was delayed via ups I think to due to snow from its orgin or something, it shows out for delivery for today though :) Woohooo!

UM & Gabe: I do agree with both of you on your consumer morals when making purchases. Like Moe said, I don't think you can totally avoid foreign products in the market place. Personally, I try to be aware of where my money is going and make sure I make a conscience effort to buy American (as an American); or "green" wherever possible, and also to spread the wealth and not just shop at one place for anything for that matter. Gabe, thanks for reminding us that it's important to not take the easy way out all the time and to make conscience, not impulse decisions as consumers in the global marketplace. (soapbox dismount) :)
Insert witty pop culture quote or reference here "_________

I agree with the conscious consumer thing... and I help the environment by not buying really anything that's brand new in the first place, so I don't think it matters where it came from since I'm reusing something someone else is discarding. The only "brand new" stuff I've bought in... well, maybe ever, is boutique stuff made by a couple of guys here in the States, for what everyone says is too much money.

This would be a good magazine article, a peek into the factories that contract out to build guitars, amps and effects for the American brands... of course, GP couldn't do it because advertising would be at risk.

I don't know about GP in particular, but I've been reading it and the various other magazines for some time (even some of the now defunct ones)- I have noticed the occasional article on who makes what where, or the state of tonewood forests & supplies around the world.

Archived