Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what the two tubes are there for in a cyber twin? Are they for Power amp emulation like a vox Valvetronix or are they there to add some analog warmth to the Digital algorythms?

Best,

Jeff

Failure is the path of least persistence.
GP Island
They is pre-amp tubes.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Bodiddley:
They is pre-amp tubes.
TONE TONE TONE.

Well, real tone come from yo fangers.

J
OP Offline
J
Bo,

Real tone starts in your heart, moves to your head and then your hands. I was just curious what those tubes did in a CT. If it is a digital modeling amp ie with software why have them. Does it add analog warmth,act like a class A or Class A/B power amp. Just wondering.

Best,
JR

I found sump'm. I thank it answer yo question, and I found it very interesting:

Excerpt From article

FENDER CYBER-TWIN

By Emile Menasché

Onstage, Jul 1, 2001

"Unlike most modeling amps, the Cyber-Twin doesn't use digital technology to replicate a collection of specific amps. Instead, the preamp section contains two 12A×7WA tubes. The performance of these tubes changes depending on which Drive Type you're working with; the amp actually switches hardware circuits so the tubes behave as they would on the original amps.

You get four types of tube amps to choose from, and each type offers a number of gain curves ranging from clean to dirty: Tweed Tube (three gain curves), Blackface Tube (three), Hot Rod Tube (three), and HMB Tube (three). The last one is designed to emulate a Marshall-type sound, and Fender's use of HMB (“Her Majesty's Bassman”) is a sly reference to the first Marshall amps, which were based on early Fender Bassman circuits. In addition to the tube sounds, you get a solid-state Dyna-Touch circuit, which offers four gain curves.

The Cyber-Twin's switchable tube circuitry would be cool enough, but the Tone Stacks take it over the top. Each Tone Stack digitally replicates the EQ circuit of a family of amps. Four types are represented: Tweed, Blackface, British (based on Marshall circuitry), and Modern. One of the Cyber-Twin's most powerful features is its ability to mix and match any Tone Stack with any Drive Type. You can also position the Tone Stack before or after the drive stage in the signal chain.

It's hard to overstate the Tone Stacks' effect on the character of each Drive Type. For example, a Blackface Tone and Blackface Drive combination yields a bright, relatively clean sound that's slow to break up. When it does, the overdrive emphasizes the upper end of the guitar spectrum, dishing out that trademark bell-like Blackface sound. Mate the Blackface to a Tweed Tone Stack, and the tone and gain structure change completely. The sound is darker, fatter, and quicker to reach saturation. Switch to the British Tone Stack, and things change again: now the midrange takes on a more solid flavor, and the Modern Tone Stack saturates the preamp for performance reminiscent of an early Mesa Boogie. Put the Tone Stack after the Drive Stage, and the tone changes again: it's thinner and more cutting, with less body. Through all these changes, you don't touch the amp's tone controls — but when you do, the behavior of each control varies depending on the Tone Stack and Drive Type. This is powerful and complex stuff.

J
OP Offline
J
Bo,

Thanks! That is helpful. I don't know why but I still think of the Cyber Twin as a Modeling amp. When you turn one on it says Version 1.3 so there is software involved somewhere. I do think you helped me answer my question tho. Thanks,

Best,
Jeff

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Another amp "modeler" with the "tube" idea is VOX with its Valvetronix series...

They are trying a similar thing, to use a 12AX7 to create "tube" sounds along with their "modeling"...

In both cases, you can see the effect of the tube(s), and there are many who like either of these amps.

Keep in mind, on the Fender side, that tubes didn't make it into either the "Cyber-Deluxe" or "Cyber-Champ"...

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!
Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com
S
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
S
Quote:
Originally posted by DIAMOND DUST:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bodiddley:
They is pre-amp tubes.
TONE TONE TONE.
quote from me:
NO TONE NO TONE NO TONE.
i bought one of these(hey look-the knobs turn all by themselves!) 'jack of all trades, master of none' ampliphonies and A--B ed it w/ some fender amps that it is supposedly "digitally replicating" and found none of the nuances, structure and quality of SOUND that is inherent w/ dem ol' fender amps. i promptly sent it back.
your mileage will not vary!

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER
You know, Stanner, wees in a heck of a fix dees days. Back in da good ol' days, you knowed dat a Fender or a Marshall or a Vox was gonna be good. Now yoy jes don't know. Dees companies dat use to put out everthang good is puttin out some junk. What do we do?

J
OP Offline
J
Bo, Stanner, Et al,

The reason I have been considering a modeling amp are these,
1) it is lighter
2) they have built in effects
3) you can get decent distortion at a decible level below the pain threshold.

Having said all that I think I am going all Tube,
Probably a Rivera Quiana or Fandango 112. I'll just have to get some stomp boxes. I am also interested in a Fuchs ODS. Pricey but could be great. I am not a die hard Carlton or Ford fan and am not locked into having a Dumble clone. With the Rivera I'll get a Fender and a Hot Rodded Marshall in the same box.

Merry Christmas,

Jeff

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Cybertwin is cool, but oh my God if it breaks. I wouldn't buy one unless it had at least a three year warranty. Probably a great studio piece, and you wouldn't worry about having to move it.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Link Copied to Clipboard