Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

George Harrison's custom green Tele

Okay. I give up. Late in his life, George purchased a custom made green Telecaster. The final Beatle videos, "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" show him using it in the studio. I remember seeing a link as to who made the guitar, but I can't remember.

Who made the guitar???

Thanks,

Tedster...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:idea: It mighta been a Fritz Bros. "Bluesmaster" Roy Buchanan Signature Model; Roy apparantly sent one to George once as a gift, though I don't know if it was green. All I can come up with!

:rolleyes: -(I'msuchagee)k :freak:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Well, they're a "Tele" style, and they might have one or the other of the "Bros." names on the headstock, or even Roy Buchanan; I haven't been able to find much on them, primarily some references as to George's having one... -k

Originally posted by Bob Keelan:

I know there was a guy that made a few custom jobs for both George & Carl Perkins at some point. Not sure if they were tele-type or not. Hmmmm, I'll have to do some research.

That may be the one. God, stuff like that is hard to track.

"Hhhgghhmmmnnh! Hay-Larry! Hay-Moe!! Hay- Ted-ster!!! It's GREEEEEEEEEEN!!!!"

Well done, Saucy Jack! I bet you've nailed it... Tedster? -k

And the winner of the bonus round is...SaucyJack!!!

Here 'tis...

http://www.hamburguitar.com/images/hbg10f.jpg

That's the Tele that he's playing in the final Beatle videos...

Are you sure that's the one from the last Beatles videos? That guitar loos pretty recent with what looks to be stacked buckers in the neck(The Dimarzio or Duncan ones with the blades in them). The extra toggle switch implies active electronics to me, but I guess it could be connected to a cap for extra tone shaping or something.

When was that video made? '70, '71? Were the above technologies even available at that time?

I really don't know what to put here.

"Mmmmn... Juicey green HAMBURGER... !" "D'OH!!!" -Homer Simpson

"I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for that Hamburger today!" -Wimpy

(Both of the above statements, upon sight of last pic of G.H.'s "Tele") -Caevan O'Shite (Drool-drool, want-want... )

'Though I'd trade most anything to have doubled George's lifespan...

Originally posted by Sylver:

Are you sure that's the one from the last Beatles videos? That guitar loos pretty recent with what looks to be stacked buckers in the neck(The Dimarzio or Duncan ones with the blades in them). The extra toggle switch implies active electronics to me, but I guess it could be connected to a cap for extra tone shaping or something.

When was that video made? '70, '71? Were the above technologies even available at that time?

Keep in mind that the last Beatles videos were made in '94 or '95. The "Free As A Bird" "Real Love" videos.

You are most likely thinking of his all-rosewood Fender Telecaster, which, if I'm correct, is currently owned by Delaney Bramlett.

• 17 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I recall that video, and that guitar. I didn't see anything on Hamburger's page that looked like it. It was a highly figured quilted maple top, stained vivid green, and it had a tremolo bridge, possibly a Floyd. The guy was a really small-timer, seemed like, and he made the guitar specially for George. He had a mutual friend of George show it to him, and George liked it a lot, and agreed to buy it. The guy got to meet George when he took possession.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Sorry for the autospelling errors. He slides on a black Stratocaster in real love. While recording those 2 New Beatles songs he used 2 Fender Stratocasters and a Hamburg guitar made by a very small manufacturer.

The Stratocaster seen here ( the black one with a Wooden neck) is the same guitar he used to record his last album Brainwashed. George was Strat happy. His favourite guitar he explained in a Fender Stratocaster book. He wanted one in 1958. And Also said that if I could have decided my first electric guitar would have been the Stratocaster. He was to buy a Stratocaster in Hamburg but the guitarist in Rory Storm and the Hurricanes woke up earlier and Bought it. That scared George for the rest of his life. Imagine the early Beatles songs on a Stratocaster instead of a Gretsch. Anyway december 64 he got his Stratocaster. The Stratocaster was his main guitar in the studio with the Beatles from 1965 to 1970. Starting with a few songs on help then rubber soul was all strat. And so it continued even though he used other guitars as well. By the way it was George that turned Eric Clapton Into Stratocasters.