Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Hi Myles,

Thanks for being there with much needed help.

My amp (Carvin Bellair 50 watt combo, all tube) has recently developed a 60 cycle hum. Could this be caused by the tubes, even though they don't look blue, or is it more likely to be my cable?

This amp does not have a ground switch, and the buzz is evident wherever it is plugged in.

Thanks again,

Dan

Originally posted by DanielT:

Hi Myles,

Thanks for being there with much needed help.

My amp (Carvin Bellair 50 watt combo, all tube) has recently developed a 60 cycle hum. Could this be caused by the tubes, even though they don't look blue, or is it more likely to be my cable?

This amp does not have a ground switch, and the buzz is evident wherever it is plugged in.

Thanks again,

Dan

Dan,

Try a different guitar cable as a start.

Try the amp in a different location as you may have a grounding issue in it's current location.

If those two things are of no help, get a fresh 12AX7 and swap it in and out of each preamp tube slot, one at a time.

If this does not work and you have more than 300 hours on the output tubes put in a new matched set.

If that does not work it is filter cap time.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Hi Myles,

I have received today the replacement GT-EC833S and GT-12AX7-M tubes. I have installed them but I won't be able to try them out until tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

It the meantime, I have contacted a Mesa Tech in London. He will perform the bias set up for the #6 tubes, but he is not familiar with these Groove Tubes and has asked what the bias voltage should be set to. Can you advise me?

Thanks.

Mike

Originally posted by Mike1959:

Hi Myles,

I have received today the replacement GT-EC833S and GT-12AX7-M tubes. I have installed them but I won't be able to try them out until tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

It the meantime, I have contacted a Mesa Tech in London. He will perform the bias set up for the #6 tubes, but he is not familiar with these Groove Tubes and has asked what the bias voltage should be set to. Can you advise me?

Thanks.

Mike

The bias should be set with a current probe and set to to 30mA for 6L6 tubes or 38mA for EL34 tubes on Mesa amps if an adjustable bias pot is installed.

With the stock fixed bias a #6 would run pretty good stock.

With EL84 amps there is no adjustable bias, the amp is self biasing, cathode biased. #6's are drop in plug and play.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

Re: Nomad 45

The Mesa tech asked me because the bias has been changed from stock. The tech who recently serviced the amp installed a bias circuitl, which I understant has been calibrated for #8s. So wouldn't it require setting back to stock - whatever that setting is?

Hey Myles,

A friend told me recently that tube amps, that aren't being used regularly, should be turned on once a month for at least 20 minutes. Is there any trueth to this? If so, what are the benifits? I've never heard about this, but he knows his stuff...

Chris

www.myspace.com/christondre

Myles,

Re: Nomad 45

The Mesa tech asked me because the bias has been changed from stock. The tech who recently serviced the amp installed a bias circuitl, which I understant has been calibrated for #8s. So wouldn't it require setting back to stock - whatever that setting is?

I do not understand how the bias was changed from stock. You need to talk to your tech for more detail as this sounds like a tech run around to charge more money.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by GtrWiz:

Hey Myles,

A friend told me recently that tube amps, that aren't being used regularly, should be turned on once a month for at least 20 minutes. Is there any trueth to this? If so, what are the benifits? I've never heard about this, but he knows his stuff...

Chris

Chris...

Turn unused amps on a few times a year ... for a few minutes, as in two or three ... just to keep the caps from drying out.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

Hey Myles,

Chris

Chris...

Turn unused amps on a few times a year ... for a few minutes, as in two or three ... just to keep the caps from drying out.

Thanks,

BTW I checked out the your site, lots of great info there, but where should I start?

Also, which of the amp techs on your links page would be good for Fender amps, specifically a '67 bassman, and late 60's princeton? Lookin' to possibly hot rod these suckers.

Chris

Hey Myles,

Chris

Chris...

Thanks,

BTW I checked out the your site, lots of great info there, but where should I start?

Also, which of the amp techs on your links page would be good for Fender amps, specifically a '67 bassman, and late 60's princeton? Lookin' to possibly hot rod these suckers.

Chris

Chris,

All of the techs on my tech page could deal with any Fender amp in their sleep.

I would NEVER touch these amps though ... they are great stock. If you want something hotter buy a hotter amp.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Thanks,

Chris [/qb]

Chris,

I would NEVER touch these amps though ... they are great stock. If you want something hotter buy a hotter amp. [/QB]

Maybe hot rod wasn't the right term... I know the Princeton needs some love, it sounds good at low volumes, but cranked it's a bit flat. Sweet tremolo though.

I just picked up the bassman today on ebay, recovered with a fine black carpet. I haven't heard it yet, but I've heard of some mods that can be done to combine the two channels for more tonal options. Maybe I'll just have it tuned up first...

Hi Myles,

Re: Nomad 45 Bias

Spoke with the technician. Apparently he didn't do anything with the bias. He said the when he installed the GT-EL84S #8s the bias was pretty much spot-on at 25-26mA. He said that some of the soldering around the tube sockets was a bit dry so he resoldered where necessary, and replaced the output capacitors because, as he put it 'if they are not performing to spec they can cause abnormal low level noises' that this amp was suffering from. If my understanding is correct, I can install #6s without further modification. I will order some today - should be able to fit them and try out later in the week.

I will say that - as it is now - the chan 1 clean settings has a nice chime to the tone. The tech said if I replaced the existing tubes with #6s I would lose some of that quality. That being the case, wouldn't I be able to swap them back if I wanted to record a cleaner sounding amp?

Also, what effect, if any, will the GT-12AX7M have on the tone quality?

Thanks again for your continued assistance.

Mike

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

I would NEVER touch these amps though ... they are great stock. If you want something hotter buy a hotter amp. [/QB]

Maybe hot rod wasn't the right term... I know the Princeton needs some love, it sounds good at low volumes, but cranked it's a bit flat. Sweet tremolo though.

I just picked up the bassman today on ebay, recovered with a fine black carpet. I haven't heard it yet, but I've heard of some mods that can be done to combine the two channels for more tonal options. Maybe I'll just have it tuned up first... [/QB]

Get the amps working at their best and then decide.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

Re: Nomad 45 Bias

Spoke with the technician. Apparently he didn't do anything with the bias. He said the when he installed the GT-EL84S #8s the bias was pretty much spot-on at 25-26mA. He said that some of the soldering around the tube sockets was a bit dry so he resoldered where necessary, and replaced the output capacitors because, as he put it 'if they are not performing to spec they can cause abnormal low level noises' that this amp was suffering from. If my understanding is correct, I can install #6s without further modification. I will order some today - should be able to fit them and try out later in the week.

I will say that - as it is now - the chan 1 clean settings has a nice chime to the tone. The tech said if I replaced the existing tubes with #6s I would lose some of that quality. That being the case, wouldn't I be able to swap them back if I wanted to record a cleaner sounding amp?

Also, what effect, if any, will the GT-12AX7M have on the tone quality?

Thanks again for your continued assistance.

Mike

Mike,

There are a number of things you bring up here, such as the current reading from your tech, the cap issue, and other issues that are very suspect to me. I'd either get the amp out of his hands fast and find another tech or maybe have the tech call me at GT as I would have a lot of questions for him and some of what he is saying.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

Appreciate your concern. The reading that I posted may be wrong as his memory was sketchy. In any case, I'd already decided that he is too far away and I've located a Mesa tech who is based locally. I will be taking the amp to him in the next few days.

I've installed the replace V1 preamp tube and the 12AX7-M in the V5 position. I have noticed a significant improvemment; hi-gain settings are much more usable and musical. I recorded the amp yesterday and I'm quite pleased with tone - I was even able to achieve the famous Boogie controlled feedback.

I think the icing on the cake will be #6s. Should have them in a couple of days and will let you know.

Thanks again Myles.

Mike

Myles,

Appreciate your concern. The reading that I posted may be wrong as his memory was sketchy. In any case, I'd already decided that he is too far away and I've located a Mesa tech who is based locally. I will be taking the amp to him in the next few days.

I've installed the replace V1 preamp tube and the 12AX7-M in the V5 position. I have noticed a significant improvemment; hi-gain settings are much more usable and musical. I recorded the amp yesterday and I'm quite pleased with tone - I was even able to achieve the famous Boogie controlled feedback.

I think the icing on the cake will be #6s. Should have them in a couple of days and will let you know.

Thanks again Myles.

Mike

Mike - You are quite welcome

Happy playing

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

How do Groove Tubes ship their matched quartets of EL84S? I ask because I just received two sets of matched pairs and I was expecting one pack with a matched quartet - GT stipulate (on their website) that "All tubes are exactly matched into duets, quartets, sextets and even octets".

Thanks.

Mike

Myles,

Regarding GT matched quartets -

Spoke with the suppler. He informed me that GT no longer ship quartets in one box. He also said that GTs are the same as JJ's.

Also spoke to guitarXS.com - UK distrubitor for GT. I was informed that a quartet is basically two deuts with the same rating, eq #6.

I'm going to fit install them now, will post my findings later.

Thanks.

Mike

Mike - on your two posts above ....

The GT scale of 1-10 actually spans over 200 points. NEVER buy two boxes that are NOT taped together of two duets of the same rating and expect a matched quad. GT will tape together duet boxes in sets of 2,3,4 to make quads, sextets and octets.

Let's take a #5 tube as an example. A #5 can range say from 74-86. Two 76's are a duet. Two 82's are a duet. Two duets made up of these sets is NOT a matched quad. A matched quad would be FOUR 80's as an example ... with a final rating of 5.

On the EL84S ... yes, this is the JJ tube but the GT process checks for low vacuum, gas leakage, grid leakage and other factors. They tube is then dynamically matched over the entire operating range rather that just a static match at one operating point. This is why a GT output tube will last a lot longer than statically matched tubes (as it stays in match longer) and is not a gassy tube. This is why the sustain is also better than on statically matched tubes.

GT also has two other EL84 variants.

The UK distributor is either flat wrong, trying to simplify incorrectly, or there was a misunderstanding. GT in the UK has a full factory and the same matching equipment and was instructed to use the same methodology as GT here in the USA.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

Thank you for your response. This is exactly the same reason why I queried my order. The representative I spoke with at guitarXS.com was VERY CLEAR. He said that any pair of matched duets with the same # rating can be supplied as a quartet. He said, I would not be able to hear the difference between two pairs of duets with the same rating.

This is very disconcerting as I paid for a matched quartet and received two boxes that were NOT TAPED TOGETHER. Considering the variances as per your posting, I may as well have purchased 4 matched JJs. Needless to say, I will be returning the tubes for a refund. But it would seem that GT UK are miss-selling your products.

Now, it seems I am going to have to order directly from Groove Tubes USA in order to ensure I get what I pay for.

By the way, had a quick peek at saunders-stewart-models, not that I do that sort of thing very often ;) What's your connection with the them?

Mike.

Myles,

Thank you for your response. This is exactly the same reason why I queried my order. The representative I spoke with at guitarXS.com was VERY CLEAR. He said that any pair of matched duets with the same # rating can be supplied as a quartet. He said, I would not be able to hear the difference between two pairs of duets with the same rating.

This is very disconcerting as I paid for a matched quartet and received two boxes that were NOT TAPED TOGETHER. Considering the variances as per your posting, I may as well have purchased 4 matched JJs. Needless to say, I will be returning the tubes for a refund. But it would seem that GT UK are miss-selling your products.

Now, it seems I am going to have to order directly from Groove Tubes USA in order to ensure I get what I pay for.

By the way, had a quick peek at saunders-stewart-models, not that I do that sort of thing very often ;) What's your connection with the them?

Mike.

Mike ....

Maybe you could not "hear" the difference but the quad would not last as long and your sustain would suffer.

I think the founder and President of GT, Aspen Pittman, would be pretty upset at knowing this is how this is being presented to folks like you. In a class A/B amp you would also notice a biasing difference (or might ... it would be a crap shoot) between the the two "duets".

On "matched" JJ's - folks will generally "match" statically only. This means at idle all is well but even a set of two different duets at the same rating number would be more closely matched than a static matched set over the entire operatiing range of the amp.

You should NOT have to order directly from here and pay the huge shipping costs. I would talk to them directly and specify that you want tubes that all have THE SAME NUMBER when they come off the tester. When a run is tested they are put into groups with the numbers on the base on a piece of tape on the locator pin before they are sent to packing to be made into sets. Tell them that you want them all the same number and if you are not sure this is what is happening then you will send the tubes to me and I will test them and show Aspen the results.

I own the Saunders Stewart agency. Saunders is my middle name by the way. We established the agency a year or two ago when some of the singers I work with who were models were asked to be in videos of some of my amp clients. One thing led to another and we now have about 56 models that not only do music work but all sorts of photographic work, spokesmodel work, videos, print ads, etc. I used to have problems on the home front with my stuff taking over the house and my playing keeping the noise level high. I guess my problems at home now come more from the agency and the calls and visits. I guess the good aspect is my wife does not complain as often over the music side of my life.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Miles,

I did a general search for Hughes & Kettner / Puretone and Class A amps and didn't find my answer to the topic, so I thought I'd write.

I bumped into the amp tone of my dreams at a local Guitar Center- the Hughes & Kettner Puretone. Cost was $1300. I managed another Puretone through Instrument exchange for $300 less. Knowing the quality control, I made the bid with confidence.

When the amp arrived it didn't have the same tone and bite as the one I played. The guys at my local GC were kind enough to let me bring in my amp and compare the two point to point. Beyond cosmetic differences, they appeared exactly the same in all regards. Because of the back protection, I couldn't compare the exact make of tubes, but they both appeared to be stock as far as I could tell. I'm guessing that tonal differences may be due to the tubes (or bias, whatever that is)

My preference was for the other amp, that had a tight bass, clear highs, was warm and glassy at the same time. Everything sounded well pronounced. The Class A growl could be heard at lower volumes.

My amp had flattened highs and less bass range. Tone knobs did less to shape the sound. There wasn't as much growl. I want to have this amp, my amp, to have the same tones as the other one. Hopefully this will be an issue of new tubes.

My question is this: what tubes do you reccomend, how can I get breakup at lower levels, and does the bias need to be adjusted?

Sorry if this was wordy,

But thanks for your help,

Joe

Originally posted by janalon:

Hey Miles,

I did a general search for Hughes & Kettner / Puretone and Class A amps and didn't find my answer to the topic, so I thought I'd write.

I bumped into the amp tone of my dreams at a local Guitar Center- the Hughes & Kettner Puretone. Cost was $1300. I managed another Puretone through Instrument exchange for $300 less. Knowing the quality control, I made the bid with confidence.

When the amp arrived it didn't have the same tone and bite as the one I played. The guys at my local GC were kind enough to let me bring in my amp and compare the two point to point. Beyond cosmetic differences, they appeared exactly the same in all regards. Because of the back protection, I couldn't compare the exact make of tubes, but they both appeared to be stock as far as I could tell. I'm guessing that tonal differences may be due to the tubes (or bias, whatever that is)

My preference was for the other amp, that had a tight bass, clear highs, was warm and glassy at the same time. Everything sounded well pronounced. The Class A growl could be heard at lower volumes.

My amp had flattened highs and less bass range. Tone knobs did less to shape the sound. There wasn't as much growl. I want to have this amp, my amp, to have the same tones as the other one. Hopefully this will be an issue of new tubes.

My question is this: what tubes do you reccomend, how can I get breakup at lower levels, and does the bias need to be adjusted?

Sorry if this was wordy,

Joe

Joe,

You need to see that you have the same output tubes for a start, and then set the bias the same.

Then the hard part starts .... preamp tubes. They are a total crapshoot unless you can replicate one amp to the other in the preamp tubes, especially V1 and the phase inverter. Just because you use the same make or type of tube nothing is assured as they can be 50% or more off from each other which is very common. Have something down 25% in V1 and right there you are very different. You have to duplicate current output and transconductance as well as the rise time of the tube.

That is what "blueprinting" is all about ... knowing what is in the amp, being able to replicate it, and go up, down, or sideways from there in a known environment.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by janalon:

Hey Miles,

Sorry if this was wordy,

Joe

Joe,

You need to see that you have the same output tubes for a start, and then set the bias the same.

Then the hard part starts .... preamp tubes. They are a total crapshoot unless you can replicate one amp to the other in the preamp tubes, especially V1 and the phase inverter. Just because you use the same make or type of tube nothing is assured as they can be 50% or more off from each other which is very common. Have something down 25% in V1 and right there you are very different. You have to duplicate current output and transconductance as well as the rise time of the tube.

That is what "blueprinting" is all about ... knowing what is in the amp, being able to replicate it, and go up, down, or sideways from there in a known environment.

OK, let me ask two simpler questions then:

1) If I brought the amp to a certified / preferred / authorized H&K service technicial, would they be able to get the right setting for tubes given this description?

2) Outside of Amp A sounding like Amp B, are there tubes you would recommend for this amp in particular, or to achieve that sound I described?

Thanks again,

Joe

If I can butt in here...

Janalon- Joe-

It's looking to me as if you could quickly wind up putting a lot more than that original difference of $300.00 into this second amp, only to try to replicate the results of the first...

BEFORE YOU VOID YOUR WARRANTY by modifying that amp in any way... consider the following:

It might be much more cost-effective for you to purchase the first one (maybe trading-in the one you have, or selling it, to do so, unless you can still return it), and put any extra energy and money into keeping that one sounding and feeling the same via tubes and maintenance.

What do you think about this idea, Myles?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

If I can butt in here...

Janalon- Joe-

It's looking to me as if you could quickly wind up putting a lot more than that original difference of $300.00 into this second amp, only to try to replicate the results of the first...

BEFORE YOU VOID YOUR WARRANTY by modifying that amp in any way... consider the following:

It might be much more cost-effective for you to purchase the first one (maybe trading-in the one you have, or selling it, to do so, unless you can still return it), and put any extra energy and money into keeping that one sounding and feeling the same via tubes and maintenance.

What do you think about this idea, Myles?

Unlike some high end microphones, amps are generally not sold as "matched pairs".

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

"Unlike some high end microphones, amps are generally not sold as "matched pairs"."

:D

Uhmn, am I correct if I take that as a 'thumbs-up' to the proposition that Janalon/Joe go with the amp he likes, instead of trying to make another one sound like it?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hi Myles,

Re: Groove Tubes UK

I spoke with the supplier - he advised me he always orders matched quartets. They come taped together but he untapes them for packaging purposes. On inspection of the supplied tubes, I could see where he had cut through the tape.

I told him that I was still concerned with the UK distributors comments; whether he was being straight or just humoring Joe Public I don't know, but he had put me off! I was really looking forward to installing these tubes and the whole sorry tale had taken the edge of it. The tubes have been returned for a refund. I'm hoping that the representative at guitarXS miss-communicated what actually happens, because I would like to be able to purchase Groove Tubes again in the future, but not from the UK distributor if what he told me is correct!

Myles, I propose to contact GT USA to obtain clarification, unless you have any other suggestions.

Regarding Saunders Stewart agency - all I can say is you must really love your job - well the three that I'm aware of :)

Mike

Hi Myles,

Re: Groove Tubes UK

I spoke with the supplier - he advised me he always orders matched quartets. They come taped together but he untapes them for packaging purposes. On inspection of the supplied tubes, I could see where he had cut through the tape.

I told him that I was still concerned with the UK distributors comments; whether he was being straight or just humoring Joe Public I don't know, but he had put me off! I was really looking forward to installing these tubes and the whole sorry tale had taken the edge of it. The tubes have been returned for a refund. I'm hoping that the representative at guitarXS miss-communicated what actually happens, because I would like to be able to purchase Groove Tubes again in the future, but not from the UK distributor if what he told me is correct!

Myles, I propose to contact GT USA to obtain clarification, unless you have any other suggestions.

Regarding Saunders Stewart agency - all I can say is you must really love your job - well the three that I'm aware of :)

Mike

Mike -

Just make sure the GT UK folks GUARANTEE that your quad all had the same number off the tester and you will be fine. When you get the quad have whoever is going to bias the amp contact me and I will tell them how to assure you got what you were promised.

On my jobs ... yes, just three of them ...

Guitar Amplifier Blueprinting

Groove Tubes

Saunders Stewart Models

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr