Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Hey, Myles... the topic of whether to use tuner cleaner or contact cleaner in the volume and tone pots on a guitar has come up, and whether a pot should or shouldn't benefit from the residual lubricant left behind by tuner cleaner and the like, etc.

What do you have to say on the matter? I'd like to know what you think...

Thanks!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

Hey, Myles... the topic of whether to use tuner cleaner or contact cleaner in the volume and tone pots on a guitar has come up, and whether a pot should or shouldn't benefit from the residual lubricant left behind by tuner cleaner and the like, etc.

What do you have to say on the matter? I'd like to know what you think...

Thanks!

First ... never use WD-40. It promotes corrosion.

Second ... if you use a pot cleaner you need to then use some sort of lube.

The best thing to use is a combination cleaner/lube such as Crymolon etc.

I like this stuff a lot:

CAIG DEOXIT, D5 SPRAY, 5.0 OZ.

S-CD5S-6

Provides a light (5%) coating of DeoxIT liquid. 5 oz. (200ml), flammable (until solvent evaporates), adjustable valve. No CFC's/HCFC's

from www.tubesandmore.com

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Thanks, Myles!

I'm going to take the liberty of copy-and-pasting your reply over to another thread (concerning the same issues), I will quote you verbatim to the letter; hope you don't mind!

Thanks again for your time!

Thanks, Myles!

I'm going to take the liberty of copy-and-pasting your reply over to another thread (concerning the same issues), I will quote you verbatim to the letter; hope you don't mind!

Thanks again for your time!

Feel free to copy, cut, paste, alter, edit, take credit for, sell, etc.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey, alright! :thu:

I edited in a bit about how you support David Duke for President, advocate mandatory allocation of tax-funds for my non-profit get-rich-quick organization, and how you actually learned everything you know groveling at my leather-sandaled feet in a vegan commune on Fire Island, O.K.? :D

Hey, alright! :thu:

I edited in a bit about how you support David Duke for President, advocate mandatory allocation of tax-funds for my non-profit get-rich-quick organization, and how you actually learned everything you know groveling at my leather-sandaled feet in a vegan commune on Fire Island, O.K.? :D

That is no problem at all.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Count Pappula:

Hey Myles:

Please make the roll call topic a sticky note.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/19/t/005669.html

This has been done as requested.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles

I had a two part question for you.. I recently bought a used

Mesa Recotverb series 2 50W 1 X12 combo.. I've been slowly

coaxing sounds out of it that I like.. I replaced the stock Mesa

EL-34s with JJs, as the amp was sold to me with an extra set.

I found the Mesa tubes to be harsher and found the JJ's to be richer and they really seemed to shine when I set my gain on the lead channel higher.. I'd roll back my pick up volume and get a whole range of sounds which was great.. the Mesa's didn't do this nearly as well for some reason.. Anyway.. I was playing a gig and my amp went dead :( the fuse blew and I gathered it was becasue a tube blew.. the sound guy swapped out the fuse but didn't change the tubes so the amp was barely producing an audible sound and it started smelling really burnt... Did I do

any major damgage from doing this?

The next day I swapped the old tubes out with new ones and the amp seems to work fine now, though I'm nervous to gig with it..

what would you suggest I do..

I also just had a question as to what tubes you would recommend for this amp to get nice crunchy dynamic AC/DC sounds to higher gain stuff.. I use a gibson LP classic stock..

Am I in error in thinking the Mesa Tubes just don't sound that good?.. Also any suggestions as far as preference between 6L6's or EL 34's?.. And what rating should I use on those?.. Sorry..

I'm really new at this.. Thanks for your help

V

Originally posted by myles111:

Originally posted by Mike1959:

Myles, thanks - than sounds great. I can't wait to try it out, but Will have to wait to end of month to replace all those tubes as I used this month's allowance on the amp itself

I will post to let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Mike

Mike

You are very welcome.

Let me know what you find.

Hi Myles,

Having discussed the problems i was experiencing with a technician, I decided to have the Nomad serviced. The technician discussed my requirements with Groove Tubes and installed GT replacements preamp and poweramps tubes. The GTEL84S valves are #8's to give me the tighter low-end. A bias circuit was installed and the stock filter caps were replaced with higher spec caps. The technician suggested that the stock caps can cause the problem I was experiencing. I also had two fans installed to prolong tube life and reduce the likelyhood of the board getting fryed.

I went to collect the amp yesterday, listened to the results - there was a definite sparkle in the tone . It seemed that the effort and money was well spent until I got home and put the amp through it's paces. Tried all the various settings as per the manual and this is what I found -

There is a nasty low-end resonance like an electrical noise that's prevalent when playing the wound strings. It is not so apparent with cleaner settings on channel 1. Although there has been some improvement to the high gain settings with more sustain, it doesn't have that Boogie singing quality. At high gain settings, the low end still sounds a bit woolly with a brittle mid to high end.

When I tried to obtain a controlled feedback, all I get is a pulsing microphonic squeal. I recorded the amp for a project I'm working on - that was when the symptons were really apparent. If it would help in any diagnosis, I could provide an MP3.

I will discuss my findings with the amp technican on Monday. But I have to say, my heart sank when I played it in anger today. Did I make a mistake in having #8's fitted as opposed to your suggested #6' (though I can't see how that would cause the problems I'm describing). Any advise/diagnosis would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

Originally posted by myles111:

Myles, thanks - than sounds great. I can't wait to try it out, but Will have to wait to end of month to replace all those tubes as I used this month's allowance on the amp itself

I will post to let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Mike

Mike

You are very welcome.

Let me know what you find.

Hi Myles,

Having discussed the problems i was experiencing with a technician, I decided to have the Nomad serviced. The technician discussed my requirements with Groove Tubes and installed GT replacements preamp and poweramps tubes. The GTEL84S valves are #8's to give me the tighter low-end. A bias circuit was installed and the stock filter caps were replaced with higher spec caps. The technician suggested that the stock caps can cause the problem I was experiencing. I also had two fans installed to prolong tube life and reduce the likelyhood of the board getting fryed.

I went to collect the amp yesterday, listened to the results - there was a definite sparkle in the tone . It seemed that the effort and money was well spent until I got home and put the amp through it's paces. Tried all the various settings as per the manual and this is what I found -

There is a nasty low-end resonance like an electrical noise that's prevalent when playing the wound strings. It is not so apparent with cleaner settings on channel 1. Although there has been some improvement to the high gain settings with more sustain, it doesn't have that Boogie singing quality. At high gain settings, the low end still sounds a bit woolly with a brittle mid to high end.

When I tried to obtain a controlled feedback, all I get is a pulsing microphonic squeal. I recorded the amp for a project I'm working on - that was when the symptons were really apparent. If it would help in any diagnosis, I could provide an MP3.

I will discuss my findings with the amp technican on Monday. But I have to say, my heart sank when I played it in anger today. Did I make a mistake in having #8's fitted as opposed to your suggested #6' (though I can't see how that would cause the problems I'm describing). Any advise/diagnosis would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Myles - just wanted to add another observation. Comparing channels 2 and 3, I set up the gain, vol and tone controls exactly the same, with chan2 set to 'Vintage' and chan3 set to 'Modern', I would have expected chan3 to be louder. Not so. Chan3 is significantly quieter, and when I set it to 'Vintage' it is even quieter. So much so that it cannot compete with chan1 set to 'Clean'.

Thanks again in advance.

Regards

Mike

Originally posted by verks:

Hi Myles

I had a two part question for you.. I recently bought a used

Mesa Recotverb series 2 50W 1 X12 combo.. I've been slowly

coaxing sounds out of it that I like.. I replaced the stock Mesa

EL-34s with JJs, as the amp was sold to me with an extra set.

I found the Mesa tubes to be harsher and found the JJ's to be richer and they really seemed to shine when I set my gain on the lead channel higher.. I'd roll back my pick up volume and get a whole range of sounds which was great.. the Mesa's didn't do this nearly as well for some reason.. Anyway.. I was playing a gig and my amp went dead :( the fuse blew and I gathered it was becasue a tube blew.. the sound guy swapped out the fuse but didn't change the tubes so the amp was barely producing an audible sound and it started smelling really burnt... Did I do

any major damgage from doing this?

The next day I swapped the old tubes out with new ones and the amp seems to work fine now, though I'm nervous to gig with it..

what would you suggest I do..

I also just had a question as to what tubes you would recommend for this amp to get nice crunchy dynamic AC/DC sounds to higher gain stuff.. I use a gibson LP classic stock..

Am I in error in thinking the Mesa Tubes just don't sound that good?.. Also any suggestions as far as preference between 6L6's or EL 34's?.. And what rating should I use on those?.. Sorry..

I'm really new at this.. Thanks for your help

V

V....

The Mesa's would be the Russian Sovteks or Chinese. This does not make them more harsh, but is more of a matter of Mesa's tube selection range generally run very cold and this is the end result. By the way, I say they run cold due to my own taste and also actual measurement based on a generally accepted idle dissapation setting from most amplifier manufacturers and techs. The JJ's may be a hotter tube and closer to the desired bias range with the fixed bias of the Mesa amp.

With the new tubes the bias could have been wrong too .... in the other direction. You may have blown a tube and in the process damaged something such as a screen resistor.

If you do not stay in the Mesa range you have no idea where you may be. You can also stay in the GT tube range of 4,5,6 and be in the proper Mesa range. These are your safest options.

If you get tubes from other than these two sources you need to check the bias! Even though it is not adjustable. You want to see no more than 40mA out of an EL34 in this amp and for best sound no less than about 32mA. You may find your original Mesa tubes far below 32mA as a side note.

The new swapped out set may be closer to the proper bias range.

I suggest that you have a tech check the bias if these are not Mesa tubes in their color range (Blues and Whites are the best in my opinion if you use the Mesa tubes) or GT in the 4,5,6 range with #6-7 actually being my pick in Mesa amps. In your amp I actually use the GT-E34LS (which is NOT the JJ tube ... it is made in the JJ factory but on GT tooling and is the only 30 watt EL-34. The JJ is a 25 watter. If you compare the two tubes visually you will see the GT version has a different plate design with more mass). I use these in a #7 rating actually in Mesa amps that use the EL-34. Be sure to also make sure the Mesa bias switch is set properly.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by FormerOceanwaySlave:

Dear Myles,

I'm picking up a Bedrock Series 1000 2 x 12 Combo in a few days and wanted to ask you about power tubes. It has a quartet of either 5881s or EL-34s. What can you tell me generally about these tubes? Any tips are as always sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan Tomlinson

Alan,

All this info is on my website.

Trying to get across a lot of tube characteristics is like trying to describe the difference between blue and green.

There also many different EL34 tubes and if the 5881 is the current Sovtek this is generally my least favorite of the 6L6 family of tubes.

Take a look on my website, download my 200 page tube primer, read a bit in the areas where you have questions and then if you want to write to ask me about something I left out or some of the finer points we can go from there.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles, I have a problem with one of my new power tubes seeming to loosen up and crackle. I increased the tension on the tube retainers and it helped ALOT. However after some hard playing it will start to loosen up again. Caevan suggested that I can if Im careful use a small pick tool and push in each little clip in each hole in the socket and that might fix it. OR do you think I should have the socket replaced? I know Caevan could fix it his way but he is a technician and Im not. This is on the Fender Pro Amp.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Myles, I have a problem with one of my new power tubes seeming to loosen up and crackle. I increased the tension on the tube retainers and it helped ALOT. However after some hard playing it will start to loosen up again. Caevan suggested that I can if Im careful use a small pick tool and push in each little clip in each hole in the socket and that might fix it. OR do you think I should have the socket replaced? I know Caevan could fix it his way but he is a technician and Im not. This is on the Fender Pro Amp.

If this is a newer Fender Pro the socket is right on the PCB board and could be pretty costly to replace and the entire board may have to be pulled.

It could also be an issue of a bad etch or another issue even though you did accomplish something of an improvement.

Make sure the socket pins are tight and clean and lube the sockets also.

Be sure you discharge the caps before you do this or you can get a shock that can surely be deadly. If you are not confident then by all means take the amp to a tech.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

A friend recently purchased (imported from the USA, but set up for UK voltage) a brand new fender 65 ReIssue Super Reverb, and it was very quiet and worked as it should.

After only six or so uses it developed a low volume hiss/hum and blew the 1.6V fuse on the back panel.

After replacing the fuse with a new one of the same rating, the amp works ok but the hiss/hum is still present. As the Super Reverb is known to be a very quiet amp, do you have any suggestions as how to overcome the hum? The only other indicator is that the volume of the hum is slightly raised when the reverb is turned up full, but does not disappear if it is turned to zero or clicked off with the footswitch.

Any feedback would be appreciated - thanks in advance, Miles.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by ellwood:

Myles, no this is my 1962 Fender Pro Amp. Thanks for the advice I will be careful.

You need to retension the output tube sockets.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:

Hi Myles,

A friend recently purchased (imported from the USA, but set up for UK voltage) a brand new fender 65 ReIssue Super Reverb, and it was very quiet and worked as it should.

After only six or so uses it developed a low volume hiss/hum and blew the 1.6V fuse on the back panel.

After replacing the fuse with a new one of the same rating, the amp works ok but the hiss/hum is still present. As the Super Reverb is known to be a very quiet amp, do you have any suggestions as how to overcome the hum? The only other indicator is that the volume of the hum is slightly raised when the reverb is turned up full, but does not disappear if it is turned to zero or clicked off with the footswitch.

Any feedback would be appreciated - thanks in advance, Miles.

Geoff

Swap out preamp tubes one at a time as there may be an offensive one.

Also check the bias on BOTH the output tubes to assure they are within 10% of each other at idle.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

Regard the Nomad 45 - Sorry, I think I messed up the postings.

I spoke with the technician who performed the service. In a previous post I said he replaced the filter caps, but I think that should be output caps. He thinks the problem lies with one of the preamp valves. I've tried swapping V1 and V5 but I couldnt tell for sure as I wasnt able to play at full tilt, so will have to wait until this weekend to confirm. In the meantime, I've ordered a backup GTECC83S.

I also contacted Mesa and asked them if the drop in volume from chan 2 (vintage) to chan 3 (modern) is normal. He couldn't say for sure and suggested I try a side by side comparison with another Nomad 45. If anyone on this board has a Nomad 45, I would appreciate it if you could verify this finding.

I also enquired about the problematic J175 semiconductors (?) and the known problems with some inferior quality components that found their way into the Nomad range. These SC are used as channel mutes - when they leaked they would cause problems such as volume loss. He also suggested tugging on the pots as that would identify a fault that could cause a volume change.

I will post again when Ive tried the above. Thanks again for your time.

Regards

Mike

Hi Myles,

Regard the Nomad 45 - Sorry, I think I messed up the postings.

I spoke with the technician who performed the service. In a previous post I said he replaced the filter caps, but I think that should be output caps. He thinks the problem lies with one of the preamp valves. I've tried swapping V1 and V5 but I couldnt tell for sure as I wasnt able to play at full tilt, so will have to wait until this weekend to confirm. In the meantime, I've ordered a backup GTECC83S.

I also contacted Mesa and asked them if the drop in volume from chan 2 (vintage) to chan 3 (modern) is normal. He couldn't say for sure and suggested I try a side by side comparison with another Nomad 45. If anyone on this board has a Nomad 45, I would appreciate it if you could verify this finding.

I also enquired about the problematic J175 semiconductors (?) and the known problems with some inferior quality components that found their way into the Nomad range. These SC are used as channel mutes - when they leaked they would cause problems such as volume loss. He also suggested tugging on the pots as that would identify a fault that could cause a volume change.

I will post again when Ive tried the above. Thanks again for your time.

Regards

Mike

I would not think that filter caps would be bad at all. This amp is way too new to have bad filter caps. No caps should be bad in an amp this new.

Is this an actual Mesa tech?

If you want to talk to a great Mesa tech go to the Mesa Hollywood website and then get their number and talk to John over there.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

Spoke with John as suggested. He told me to return the amp to stock - remove the bias circuit etc. Basically he said that the amp circuit was designed to run with fixed bias and I could install hotter or colder tubes without worrying. When I asked him about Mesa not matching their El84's he said there was no need due to the inherent tolerences in the tube design, or words to that effect.

I played the amp briefly again today - having swapped V1 and V5 - and I must say that there was a definite improvement: much tighter and more musical higher gain. Will try again over the next few days to see if change is consistent. I have ordered a replacement ECC83S, but was wondering about a long plate version you mentioned in an earlier posting. Is this a GT offereing and what model is it? Thanks.

Mike

Hi Myles,

Spoke with John as suggested. He told me to return the amp to stock - remove the bias circuit etc. Basically he said that the amp circuit was designed to run with fixed bias and I could install hotter or colder tubes without worrying. When I asked him about Mesa not matching their El84's he said there was no need due to the inherent tolerences in the tube design, or words to that effect.

I played the amp briefly again today - having swapped V1 and V5 - and I must say that there was a definite improvement: much tighter and more musical higher gain. Will try again over the next few days to see if change is consistent. I have ordered a replacement ECC83S, but was wondering about a long plate version you mentioned in an earlier posting. Is this a GT offereing and what model is it? Thanks.

Mike

Mike,

for phase inverters I use the long plate 12AX7M.

On matching of output EL84's .... try a set of EL84S in a #6 rating and tell me if you do not see an improvement in tone, clarity, definition and sustain.

I disagree with John on this point a LOT.

Untested and unmatched EL84 tubes are very inconsistent.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

Though my knowledge on this subject is minimal, I would agree with your reasoning as it makes perfect sense to me. I've order a replacement ECC83S and 12AX7M (wow- twice the price for the latter). I was 'quietly' feeling relieved when I played the amp today, having swapped the V1 and V5. I could get a really nice clean tone and the heavy gain settings were really aggresive but musical at the same time. This is exactly why I bought the Boogie in the first place.

Once I've replaced the preamp valves and I am happy that the noise problems are resolved, I will replace the EL84s with #6s. I've got a feeling that the #6s may impart a softer top end - not so brittle. Damn I wish I kept with what you said in the first place and not be swayed by other peoples opinions. Mayybe the #8s would better suit a blues player as they do have have a nice sparkle to the tone.

If all works okay, I will even consider a 1x12 ext cab for live stuff. Oh God - incoming GAS attack!

Anyway, thanks again Myles for sticking with my problem. Much appreciated.

Mike

Hi Myles,

I'm thinking of taking one of my Marshall Lead 12 cabinets and amp box and building a low power (5 to 10 watts) tube amp in that. Can you recommend a good low power tube amp kit? A PCB and plans is good enough to start with.

I've thought about buying an Epiphone Galaxie 10 amp and moving the amp section into my Marshall cabinet and amp box then tapping in an eq. But I think I'd get more satisfaction from building the entire amp myself.

I'm not interested much in additional circuits like reverb or tremolo. But it would be nice if it had a built in 3 band eq and gain control. A diode rectifier is fine. No need for a tube one. So far, I've turned up nothing like that.

Thanks!

Born on the Bayou

Myles,

Though my knowledge on this subject is minimal, I would agree with your reasoning as it makes perfect sense to me. I've order a replacement ECC83S and 12AX7M (wow- twice the price for the latter). I was 'quietly' feeling relieved when I played the amp today, having swapped the V1 and V5. I could get a really nice clean tone and the heavy gain settings were really aggresive but musical at the same time. This is exactly why I bought the Boogie in the first place.

Once I've replaced the preamp valves and I am happy that the noise problems are resolved, I will replace the EL84s with #6s. I've got a feeling that the #6s may impart a softer top end - not so brittle. Damn I wish I kept with what you said in the first place and not be swayed by other peoples opinions. Mayybe the #8s would better suit a blues player as they do have have a nice sparkle to the tone.

If all works okay, I will even consider a 1x12 ext cab for live stuff. Oh God - incoming GAS attack!

Anyway, thanks again Myles for sticking with my problem. Much appreciated.

Mike

Mike,

Blues players like softer numbers .... 3's.

The tone of a tube has nothing to do with it's rating. It is only at what level the tube hits a certain rate of distortion.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Hi Myles,

I'm thinking of taking one of my Marshall Lead 12 cabinets and amp box and building a low power (5 to 10 watts) tube amp in that. Can you recommend a good low power tube amp kit? A PCB and plans is good enough to start with.

I've thought about buying an Epiphone Galaxie 10 amp and moving the amp section into my Marshall cabinet and amp box then tapping in an eq. But I think I'd get more satisfaction from building the entire amp myself.

I'm not interested much in additional circuits like reverb or tremolo. But it would be nice if it had a built in 3 band eq and gain control. A diode rectifier is fine. No need for a tube one. So far, I've turned up nothing like that.

Thanks!

There are a ton of kits on the net.

I'd search around a bit.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr