Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Hi Myles!

I have a Rivera Knucklehead II that I'm looking to

install new tubes in. Currently, the amp has JJ

KT88's in the power section and JJ 12ax7 preamp

tubes. I love the lead tone from the amp, but I'm

looking to improve on the rythm tone. It tends

to be a tad muddy and can use a little more gain as

well as a tighter bottom end. I would also like to

improve the clean channel a little.

Rivera advised that I use Chinese NOS tubes and I was

wondering what your thoughts on these are.

Please advise on which tubes IYO (either new or NOS) would satisfy my needs.

Thanks!

Paige

Hey Myles!

I was down at my local GC pokin' through the blow-out box when I spied a pair of Mesa Boogie 6V6's like these...

http://store1.yimg.com/I/mesa_1727_58967

They're called the 6V6 STR-417 Chinese...

Any comments on them? They were only $18 for the pair out the door so I thought... what the heck.

They sound ok, are they the Chinese ones that can take a higher plate voltage from my UniValve or should I stay in the Low V zone?

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Originally posted by AmpliFIRE:

Hi Myles!

Thanks!

Paige

Paige,

A few things.

When Paul Rivera advised no Chinese, this was a while back, and the latest 12AX7C tubes work pretty nicely in Rivera amps like yours.

But ... in your amp, I prefer the 12AX7R3 (12AX7EH) in V1 and V2.

On the KT88 issue .... unless you are looking for max clean headroom, with no output stage crunch and tone until you are right up to max ... and get all your tone and distortion from effects and pedals, then get those out of there right now.

.... that is my personal opionion.

Get in some E34LS or 6L6GE tubes, depending on taste between EL-34 and 6L6 tubes.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by guitplayer:

Hey Myles!

I was down at my local GC pokin' through the blow-out box when I spied a pair of Mesa Boogie 6V6's like these...

http://store1.yimg.com/I/mesa_1727_58967

They're called the 6V6 STR-417 Chinese...

Any comments on them? They were only $18 for the pair out the door so I thought... what the heck.

They sound ok, are they the Chinese ones that can take a higher plate voltage from my UniValve or should I stay in the Low V zone?

guitplayer

guitplayer..........

These are okay, and you got them at a fair price.

On your UV, 450-470 plate volts in the high setting, in Class A ..... these will fry. If the bottles were not black, you'd see the plate light up.

These will work, but are not anywhere close to a great 6V6.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

Hi Myles!

Thanks!

Paige

Paige,

A few things.

When Paul Rivera advised no Chinese, this was a while back, and the latest 12AX7C tubes work pretty nicely in Rivera amps like yours.

But ... in your amp, I prefer the 12AX7R3 (12AX7EH) in V1 and V2.

On the KT88 issue .... unless you are looking for max clean headroom, with no output stage crunch and tone until you are right up to max ... and get all your tone and distortion from effects and pedals, then get those out of there right now.

.... that is my personal opionion.

Get in some E34LS or 6L6GE tubes, depending on taste between EL-34 and 6L6 tubes.

Thanks for the help Myles! Are the KT88's in the EL34 family or the 6l6 family? I'm not looking for a drastic change in tone, just refining. The previous owner installed the KT88's and the JJ 12ax7's....not sure we he did, though. There has been a knock on this amp that the bass is too loose and flabby, but I don't notice that at all. Would the KT 88's have helped that problem? I love the lead tone that I'm getting out of the amp, but the rhythm could use a *little* work. It sounds a bit muddy, but not bad (MUCH better than my Tremoverb was). I guess my main goal is to tighten up the bottom a tad and smooth out the top end...Rivera actually recommends that I use NOS Chinese tubes in there and I was wondering how they would compare to the EH12ax7's (I use the EH's in all of my amps).

On a scale of 1-10 here's how I would rate the amp's current tone:

Clean: 9

Lead: 9.5

Rythm: 8

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Paige

Ok, I think I'm going to go 6l6 (a change of pace from my Carvin x100b). Which 6l6's are your favorite and why? I'm looking at Svetlana 6l6GC's and Phillips Jan 6l6WGB. Any others I should consider?

AmpliFIRE.........

The JAN WGB's are super tubes. I love those.

The Svets are great too, but ones with a 2002/2003 date code need to be well tested, as many have low vacuum, sound flubby to some, and have shorter life.

I use the GE's in most of my own amps, which is similar to the WGB, and in fact, use the WGB in my S-45.

I break all these down in my tube primer paper, which is up to about 24 pages now.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by steve f:

Myles,

How are those new Groove Tubes 6CA7 tubes coming along?

Steve....

Actually, they are right on schedule. This summer should be their release.

They are darn strong .... comparing to 6L6 and EL34 tubes in the same circuit yields these results, from least strong to most strong:

COMMON FAMILY (#5 RATING) CURRENT IN mA

6L6 / EL-34 / KT-66 / 5881

6550 / KT-88

For 6L6 types, the standard expected reference output at 1957 RCA test settings should be 72.0 milliamps.

The EL-34 tubes tested here were tested at 6L6 voltages and bias settings to show their performance in the same circuit. In an circuit set up to test EL-34 tubes specifically, the expected output would be 100 mA, higher due to lower bias voltage, and higher plate voltages.

7591 Russian 58.4

6L6GCMSTR Ruby Tubes (older) 68.1

6L6C Chinese 69.0

6L6B Sovtek (5881 WXT) 71.0

6L6CB Chinese Coke Bottle 71.6

6L6R2 Svetlana October 2002 72.3

6L6GE GT - Original run 72.7

6L6R2 Svetlana pre 2002 73.5

5881 JAN Philips 74.8

5881 Chinese 4/03 75.2

5881 NOS Tung Sol 76.1

6L6GE GT November 02 76.2

JJ 7027 78.3

6L6GCM STR Ruby April 03 79.4

KT-66 Genelex GEC 80.4

6L6S JJ 81.7

KT-66 Genelex GEC 83.7

KT-66HP Russia 85.3

EL34R2 Svetlana (pre 02 date) 86.3

EL34R EH / Reflector 89.0

EL-34 Siemens marked Mesa 89.8

EL34C China 91.0

KT-66 China 91.6

EL-34 Mullard 1970's 93.1

E34Ls JJ / GT tooling 30W 97.1

GE NOS Ref 6CA7 108.2

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles:

Forgive me if this question has been asked and answered. I'm a keyboardist who loves the sound of tube saturation and how tubes respond to dynamics. ... with guitars, with B3's, with anything.

Is there a set of devices providing good saturation responses (particularly with changes in dynamics) that would not entail miking? Given the nature of my gigs as a keyboardist, I would prefer not to mike a tube amp on stage.

Thank you,

Jerry

Originally posted by Tusker:

Myles:

Forgive me if this question has been asked and answered. I'm a keyboardist who loves the sound of tube saturation and how tubes respond to dynamics. ... with guitars, with B3's, with anything.

Is there a set of devices providing good saturation responses (particularly with changes in dynamics) that would not entail miking? Given the nature of my gigs as a keyboardist, I would prefer not to mike a tube amp on stage.

Thank you,

Jerry

Jerry ..........

What folks like Ray Manzarak and a lot of folks these days that we support use is the DITTO:

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1605

These also work great with the Line 6 POD to give tube warmth and compression. You can also do very long line runs live with them.

There is full info at the bottom of the link above with the manual.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

What folks like Ray Manzarak and a lot of folks these days that we support use is the ...

Myles, you rock! That answered my unasked question about modelled amp simulators as well. Thanks,

Jerry

Okay, this is probably a dumb question, but can anyone tell me the difference between a Fender Vibroverb and a Vibrolux? I'm looking at these amps and cannot discern the difference. The 'Verb has a "SRV used it" mystique, which is about all I can figure out as the difference -- and which doesn't really matter to me because if I sounded like SRV I could quit my day job and buy both amps!

Thanks for any clarification.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Originally posted by Tusker:

What folks like Ray Manzarak and a lot of folks these days that we support use is the ...

Myles, you rock! That answered my unasked question about modelled amp simulators as well. Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry,

You are more than welcome.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by daddyelmis:

Okay, this is probably a dumb question, but can anyone tell me the difference between a Fender Vibroverb and a Vibrolux? I'm looking at these amps and cannot discern the difference. The 'Verb has a "SRV used it" mystique, which is about all I can figure out as the difference -- and which doesn't really matter to me because if I sounded like SRV I could quit my day job and buy both amps!

Thanks for any clarification.

daddyelmis...........

Not a dumb question at all ... most folks have a problem with this.

The 1964-1967 Vibrolux Reverb used Jensen C10Q or Oxford 10L5 speakers.

The 1963-1964 Vibroverb used JBL D-130, Jensen C15N, or CTS 15" ceramic speakers.

The 1963 Vibroverb used 2 x 10"/4 ohms (8 ohms each in parallel)Oxford 10K6 speakers.

The differences were speakers ....

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I've got a MusicMan 110-RD Fifty (1650-RD circuit) that's in need of some new output tubes. I seem to remember hearing something about the high plate voltages in these amps requiring some robust tubes.

Considering:

1) Phillips 7581A

2) Svetlana 6L6GC

3) GT 6L6GE

4) JJ 6L6

Recommendations? Hardness #?

What is the GT model # for the Svets?

I've also experimented with changing the 12AX7 in the pre, but I've not noticed much difference in the lead channel sound. Am I correct in assuming that changing this tube will not affect the sound much because of the nature of the SS preamp?

Thanks in advance for your sage advice.

David H.

Originally posted by hechtdavid:

Hi Myles,

I've got a MusicMan 110-RD Fifty (1650-RD circuit) that's in need of some new output tubes. I seem to remember hearing something about the high plate voltages in these amps requiring some robust tubes.

Considering:

1) Phillips 7581A

2) Svetlana 6L6GC

3) GT 6L6GE

4) JJ 6L6

Recommendations? Hardness #?

What is the GT model # for the Svets?

I've also experimented with changing the 12AX7 in the pre, but I've not noticed much difference in the lead channel sound. Am I correct in assuming that changing this tube will not affect the sound much because of the nature of the SS preamp?

Thanks in advance for your sage advice.

David H.

David ........

First off, these are really great amps, and really roadworthy. They do however, have VERY high plate voltages, and in the EL-34 models (not yours) they could run 700-750 volts ... REALLY HIGH!

Considering:

1) Phillips 7581A - great in these amps. Probably here, my first choice.

2) Svetlana 6L6GC - These are the GT 6L6R2, and these are good as long as they are tested for low vacuum and gas. This is something GT does, and Watford Valves in the UK does too. If they are from vendors that just test statically, then try to find Svet 6L6 tubes with date codes prior to 2002 to increase your luck.

3) GT 6L6GE - would be my personal 2nd choice (remember, when I am in this forum, I speak from my personal Guitar Amplfier Blueprinting point of view and business, and not from GT viewpoint, hence I like the Philips in your amp in this case.

4) JJ 6L6 - I do not like these in these amps too much. They can be a bit brittle or harsh.

Recommendations? Hardness #? - Use a GT #5 or #6 for the most versitile amp. You will still have a ton of clean headroom.

What is the GT model # for the Svets? - This is the GT 6L6R2.

......... Yes, most of the functions in these preamps is solid state, and most of the amps produced were totally SS in the front end. Don't fret though, these were great SS front ends.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Miles,

I tried some new matched Electro Harmonix EL84's in my Mesa Nomad 45 4x10 combo amp this week-end.Once they broke in , I think I like them.I couldn't find no reviews on them , except people thought they sounded like JJ's except with a sweater top end.Thats probably right , but I think you loose a slight focus in the bass??? Maybe they are still breaking in?

My question is I noticed the two inside tubes have a glowing blue circle on the bottom small circular disc(actually at the top of the tube...they hang down in my Mesa).I swapped these to the outside positions and they still have that blue circular glow on that small disk(.. sorry for my laymens vague terms).All the tubes if you look at them from the side have a slight blue glow line inside the tube, is this normal? I didn't hear that power tube "swirl" sound like I did when I put new JJ's in over a year ago (..could be that mind thing that makes you think you remember hearing something that really wasn't there..) :) For new , tested , matched power tubes that kinda of has me concerned.

I also tried a Mullard CV4024/12at7WA in V1 position...man I REALLY LOVE THIS TUBE.I was afraid it would lower my high gain drive.Man does it work wonders for my clean , and my high gain metal has new breath and life.

I also tried a Gt 12ax7c in V1 , I liked what it did to my high gain metal sound ( diffently brightened it up from the JJ's), and more gain.But it was to much gain for my clean sound.Once I put the mullard in V1..THATS STAYING THERE.I put the Gt12ax7c in V3 position(2nd & 3rd gain stages for my amps channel 2&3 ..High gain channels) . It added drive and gain to my high gain metal sound , but sounds alittle trebly, will this die down once the tube breaks in?? Its funny but for V3 and V4 (my amps gain stages for channel 2 & 3) that the stock mesa tubes sound best? Youd think a better sounding tube would liven things up? ( Im still expermenting with the GT12ax7c and NOS chinese "Silver Special" hoping they may sound different once they break in)

How can I tell If this is a 9th generation gt12ax7c ?? The guy told me he just recieved these from GT so they got to be??

Finally Tried a chinese NOS " silver special" in V1.. man what a good tube for a high gain amp, but still prefer the mullard CV4024/12at7wa in V1.I hate to waist this tube in a V3/V4 position(plus the stock Mesa sounds better in those positions).The silver special adds to much gain/ & lowers the head room in my clean sound.I havent tried the Silver Special in V1 with the Mullard in v2 ( my amps clean channels gain stages), hate to waist that mullard just for my clean alone.

Miles thanks again for all your help and info.

..........SHAWNERS

P.S. When you hitting the road with you amp seminars in the Detroit Mi./Toledo Oh. area??

Sure would love to attend one..Thanx Again

Originally posted by Shawners:

Hey Miles,

I tried some new matched Electro Harmonix EL84's in my Mesa Nomad 45 4x10 combo amp this week-end.Once they broke in , I think I like them.I couldn't find no reviews on them , except people thought they sounded like JJ's except with a sweater top end.Thats probably right , but I think you loose a slight focus in the bass??? Maybe they are still breaking in?

My question is I noticed the two inside tubes have a glowing blue circle on the bottom small circular disc(actually at the top of the tube...they hang down in my Mesa).I swapped these to the outside positions and they still have that blue circular glow on that small disk(.. sorry for my laymens vague terms).All the tubes if you look at them from the side have a slight blue glow line inside the tube, is this normal? I didn't hear that power tube "swirl" sound like I did when I put new JJ's in over a year ago (..could be that mind thing that makes you think you remember hearing something that really wasn't there..) :) For new , tested , matched power tubes that kinda of has me concerned.

I also tried a Mullard CV4024/12at7WA in V1 position...man I REALLY LOVE THIS TUBE.I was afraid it would lower my high gain drive.Man does it work wonders for my clean , and my high gain metal has new breath and life.

I also tried a Gt 12ax7c in V1 , I liked what it did to my high gain metal sound ( diffently brightened it up from the JJ's), and more gain.But it was to much gain for my clean sound.Once I put the mullard in V1..THATS STAYING THERE.I put the Gt12ax7c in V3 position(2nd & 3rd gain stages for my amps channel 2&3 ..High gain channels) . It added drive and gain to my high gain metal sound , but sounds alittle trebly, will this die down once the tube breaks in?? Its funny but for V3 and V4 (my amps gain stages for channel 2 & 3) that the stock mesa tubes sound best? Youd think a better sounding tube would liven things up? ( Im still expermenting with the GT12ax7c and NOS chinese "Silver Special" hoping they may sound different once they break in)

How can I tell If this is a 9th generation gt12ax7c ?? The guy told me he just recieved these from GT so they got to be??

Finally Tried a chinese NOS " silver special" in V1.. man what a good tube for a high gain amp, but still prefer the mullard CV4024/12at7wa in V1.I hate to waist this tube in a V3/V4 position(plus the stock Mesa sounds better in those positions).The silver special adds to much gain/ & lowers the head room in my clean sound.I havent tried the Silver Special in V1 with the Mullard in v2 ( my amps clean channels gain stages), hate to waist that mullard just for my clean alone.

Miles thanks again for all your help and info.

..........SHAWNERS

P.S. When you hitting the road with you amp seminars in the Detroit Mi./Toledo Oh. area??

Sure would love to attend one..Thanx Again

Shawners ..........

I have not tried or tested the new EL-84 from Electro Harmonix. They are a new tube offering from them, and I will try to get some to test in the near future. Hopefully they are made of different tooling and use different materials than the darker Sovtek EL-84. In any case, it is great to have one more EL-84 choice.

The blue glow is normal when B+ is on, in some tubes it is more visible than in other types. It is the purple/red glowing and/or swirling gas that you do not want to see.

A 12AT7 will give you more clean headroom, and the gain today is so low on most new 12AX7 tubes, that a nice 12AT7 NOS tube can possibly surpass the gain even though it is supposed to be lower. The 12AT7 can also drive 5-10 times the current of most 12AX7s, and in your complex front end Mesa, could be just super.

As far as how you can tell a C9, call me on the phone with the tube in your hand at 1-800-459-5687 and I will step you through it.

The 12AX7C9 is the most consistent new tube made today, and is closest to spec gain and output.

I don't make it to Ohio .... sorry.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Thanx Miles,

I'll have to take the tube with me to work tomorrow to call you.

Do you think the "silver special" or the Gt12ax7c will sound better over time in my amps v3/v4 positions over time as they breakin?I dont understand it , If I put a Mesa tube in V1 I really dont like the sound/feel, but in v3/v4 they seem to sound the best, over nicer sounding tubes.Is that because of how mesa voices there amps around these tubes , or am I not giving the new tubes time to break in??

Originally posted by Shawners:

Thanx Miles,

I'll have to take the tube with me to work tomorrow to call you.

Do you think the "silver special" or the Gt12ax7c will sound better over time in my amps v3/v4 positions over time as they breakin?I dont understand it , If I put a Mesa tube in V1 I really dont like the sound/feel, but in v3/v4 they seem to sound the best, over nicer sounding tubes.Is that because of how mesa voices there amps around these tubes , or am I not giving the new tubes time to break in??

There is really no break in with tubes.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

myles,

i was wondering what you would recomend for power tubes in a Marshall DSL 50? everybody seems to be yelling about the JJ EL34L's.

and

would you happen to know the pre-amp tube layout on that amp. looking from the back, i know the first one on the far left is V1. not sure of the rest.

thanks,

john

Originally posted by johnny5:

myles,

i was wondering what you would recomend for power tubes in a Marshall DSL 50? everybody seems to be yelling about the JJ EL34L's.

and

would you happen to know the pre-amp tube layout on that amp. looking from the back, i know the first one on the far left is V1. not sure of the rest.

thanks,

john

John,

In a 25 watt tube, I personally prefer the Svets (if tested properly) to the JJ. Mesa also has a STR-450 NOS Siemens set that are amazing.

Most of my Marshall clients use the E34Ls that is a 30 watt tube from the JJ plant off GT tooling. YOU MUST rebias your amp to use these, as they are 30 watt tubes with increased plate mass, and NOT the same as the 25 watt JJ version. These are the tubes used as stock by Matchless, Bad Cat, Joe Perry, Joe Walsh, Billy Gibbons, Slash, and a lot of other folks that are here:

http://www.groovetubes.com/f-n-r.cfm

You can find them in the area at:

http://www.groovetubes.com/tubes_list.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=108

V1 is the most close to the input jack... and then count from there.

In V1 and V2 you should use true ECC83's, but the most recent ones from the factory are a bit low on gain, so get those from somebody that checks them well (many folks do not). Bob Pletka (Eurotubes) does ( www.eurotubes.com ) and Doug Preston (www.dougstubes.com) also does. GT has these also.

If you do not have a copy of my 24 page tube primer, drop me an email at techsupport@groovetubes.com and ask for a copy. I will send it back as an attachment. It will give you a fair amount of info on all these tubes, preamp and power.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Ok, I think I'm going to go 6l6 (a change of pace from my Carvin x100b). Which 6l6's are your favorite and why? I'm looking at Svetlana 6l6GC's and Phillips Jan 6l6WGB. Any others I should consider?

AmpliFIRE.........

The Svets are great too, but ones with a 2002/2003 date code need to be well tested, as many have low vacuum, sound flubby to some, and have shorter life.

I use the GE's in most of my own amps, which is similar to the WGB, and in fact, use the WGB in my S-45.

I break all these down in my tube primer paper, which is up to about 24 pages now.

Myles, If I install RFT 12ax7's and the 6l6WGB's will this tighten up my rhythm tone while keeping the lead tone similar to how it is now? The lead tone on this amp is to die for IMO and I'm just looking to tighten/clean up the bottom end a tad. It seems like it would be a drastic

change to me since I'll be swapping out all of the tubes.

Thanks in advance!

I have a sixty-five watt combo amp, and I want to replace the speaker an 8 ohm 65 watt fender design with a Celestion Vintage 30, an 8 ohm 60 watt speaker. One of my friends says that plus or minus five watts aint going to make that much of a difference but another friend said that Youre just going to set your living room on fire

Help?

:eek:

So those calluses are supposed to be there; right?

AmpliFIRE.........

Myles, If I install RFT 12ax7's and the 6l6WGB's will this tighten up my rhythm tone while keeping the lead tone similar to how it is now? The lead tone on this amp is to die for IMO and I'm just looking to tighten/clean up the bottom end a tad. It seems like it would be a drastic

change to me since I'll be swapping out all of the tubes.

Thanks in advance!

AmpliFIRE ................

It will be a roll of the dice, as the characteristics of your 12AX7s is not known. They can vary 100% in specs from one to another, and will vary from side A to side B. They only way to have any control is to trace each tube.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Djinn1973:

I have a sixty-five watt combo amp, and I want to replace the speaker an 8 ohm 65 watt fender design with a Celestion Vintage 30, an 8 ohm 60 watt speaker. One of my friends says that plus or minus five watts aint going to make that much of a difference but another friend said that Youre just going to set your living room on fire

Help?

:eek:

Djinn1973...........

Your friend needs to do a bit of reading.

In any case, this will work great and the Vintage 30 is a great speaker. There will be no safety issues whatsoever.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Djinn1973:

Thanks Myles;

I am glad to know that dropping 5 watts isnt going to reduce the front of my house to chard rubble...

Djinn1973 ..........

No problem.

If it is any colsolation, the first 100 watt Marshall's only had 4 15 watt speakers in the cabs, so that was a more drastic increase.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr