Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 94 of 186 < 1 2 ... 92 93 94 95 96 ... 185 186 >
Topic Options
#1354024 - 10/30/05 12:07 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
Mike1959 Offline

Loc: Epsom, Surrey, UK

GP Island
#1354025 - 10/30/05 12:17 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
myles_rose Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles CA, UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by ellwood:
Myles, I have a problem with one of my new power tubes seeming to loosen up and crackle. I increased the tension on the tube retainers and it helped ALOT. However after some hard playing it will start to loosen up again. Caevan suggested that I can if Iím careful use a small pick tool and push in each little clip in each hole in the socket and that might fix it. OR do you think I should have the socket replaced? I know Caevan could fix it his way but he is a technician and Iím not. This is on the Fender Pro Amp.
If this is a newer Fender Pro the socket is right on the PCB board and could be pretty costly to replace and the entire board may have to be pulled.

It could also be an issue of a bad etch or another issue even though you did accomplish something of an improvement.

Make sure the socket pins are tight and clean and lube the sockets also.

Be sure you discharge the caps before you do this or you can get a shock that can surely be deadly. If you are not confident then by all means take the amp to a tech.

#1354026 - 10/30/05 12:22 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
MP Hall of Fame Member

#1354027 - 10/30/05 12:45 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
Dr. Ellwood Offline
10k Club

Loc: MoTown
Myles, no this is my 1962 Fender Pro Amp. Thanks for the advice I will be careful.

#1354028 - 10/30/05 12:50 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
Mike1959 Offline

#1354029 - 10/31/05 04:42 AM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
Hi Myles,

A friend recently purchased (imported from the USA, but set up for UK voltage) a brand new fender 65 ReIssue Super Reverb, and it was very quiet and worked as it should.

After only six or so uses it developed a low volume hiss/hum and blew the 1.6V fuse on the back panel.

After replacing the fuse with a new one of the same rating, the amp works ok but the hiss/hum is still present. As the Super Reverb is known to be a very quiet amp, do you have any suggestions as how to overcome the hum? The only other indicator is that the volume of the hum is slightly raised when the reverb is turned up full, but does not disappear if it is turned to zero or clicked off with the footswitch.

Any feedback would be appreciated - thanks in advance, Miles.

Geoff

#1354030 - 10/31/05 12:33 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ellwood:
Myles, no this is my 1962 Fender Pro Amp. Thanks for the advice I will be careful.
You need to retension the output tube sockets.

#1354031 - 10/31/05 12:35 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
MP Hall of Fame Member

#1354032 - 10/31/05 12:37 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:
Hi Myles,

A friend recently purchased (imported from the USA, but set up for UK voltage) a brand new fender 65 ReIssue Super Reverb, and it was very quiet and worked as it should.

After only six or so uses it developed a low volume hiss/hum and blew the 1.6V fuse on the back panel.

After replacing the fuse with a new one of the same rating, the amp works ok but the hiss/hum is still present. As the Super Reverb is known to be a very quiet amp, do you have any suggestions as how to overcome the hum? The only other indicator is that the volume of the hum is slightly raised when the reverb is turned up full, but does not disappear if it is turned to zero or clicked off with the footswitch.

Any feedback would be appreciated - thanks in advance, Miles.

Geoff
Swap out preamp tubes one at a time as there may be an offensive one.

Also check the bias on BOTH the output tubes to assure they are within 10% of each other at idle.

#1354033 - 10/31/05 02:55 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
Mike1959 Offline

Hi Myles,

Regard the Nomad 45 - Sorry, I think I messed up the postings.

I spoke with the technician who performed the service. In a previous post I said he replaced the filter caps, but I think that should be output caps. He thinks the problem lies with one of the preamp valves. I've tried swapping V1 and V5 but I couldnít tell for sure as I wasnít able to play at full tilt, so will have to wait until this weekend to confirm. In the meantime, I've ordered a backup GTECC83S.

I also contacted Mesa and asked them if the drop in volume from chan 2 (vintage) to chan 3 (modern) is normal. He couldn't say for sure and suggested I try a side by side comparison with another Nomad 45. If anyone on this board has a Nomad 45, I would appreciate it if you could verify this finding.

I also enquired about the problematic J175 semiconductors (?) and the known problems with some inferior quality components that found their way into the Nomad range. These SC are used as channel mutes - when they leaked they would cause problems such as volume loss. He also suggested tugging on the pots as that would identify a fault that could cause a volume change.

I will post again when Iíve tried the above. Thanks again for your time.

Regards
Mike

#1354034 - 11/01/05 10:20 AM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike1959:
Hi Myles,

Regard the Nomad 45 - Sorry, I think I messed up the postings.

I spoke with the technician who performed the service. In a previous post I said he replaced the filter caps, but I think that should be output caps. He thinks the problem lies with one of the preamp valves. I've tried swapping V1 and V5 but I couldnít tell for sure as I wasnít able to play at full tilt, so will have to wait until this weekend to confirm. In the meantime, I've ordered a backup GTECC83S.

I also contacted Mesa and asked them if the drop in volume from chan 2 (vintage) to chan 3 (modern) is normal. He couldn't say for sure and suggested I try a side by side comparison with another Nomad 45. If anyone on this board has a Nomad 45, I would appreciate it if you could verify this finding.

I also enquired about the problematic J175 semiconductors (?) and the known problems with some inferior quality components that found their way into the Nomad range. These SC are used as channel mutes - when they leaked they would cause problems such as volume loss. He also suggested tugging on the pots as that would identify a fault that could cause a volume change.

I will post again when Iíve tried the above. Thanks again for your time.

Regards
Mike
I would not think that filter caps would be bad at all. This amp is way too new to have bad filter caps. No caps should be bad in an amp this new.

Is this an actual Mesa tech?

If you want to talk to a great Mesa tech go to the Mesa Hollywood website and then get their number and talk to John over there.

#1354035 - 11/01/05 12:23 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
Mike1959 Offline

Thanks Myles, will do that.

Mike.

#1354036 - 11/01/05 12:23 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
Mike1959 Offline

Bump.

#1354037 - 11/01/05 02:23 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
Mike1959 Offline

Hi Myles,

Spoke with John as suggested. He told me to return the amp to stock - remove the bias circuit etc. Basically he said that the amp circuit was designed to run with fixed bias and I could install hotter or colder tubes without worrying. When I asked him about Mesa not matching their El84's he said there was no need due to the inherent tolerences in the tube design, or words to that effect.

I played the amp briefly again today - having swapped V1 and V5 - and I must say that there was a definite improvement: much tighter and more musical higher gain. Will try again over the next few days to see if change is consistent. I have ordered a replacement ECC83S, but was wondering about a long plate version you mentioned in an earlier posting. Is this a GT offereing and what model is it? Thanks.

Mike

#1354038 - 11/01/05 02:52 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Hi Myles,

Spoke with John as suggested. He told me to return the amp to stock - remove the bias circuit etc. Basically he said that the amp circuit was designed to run with fixed bias and I could install hotter or colder tubes without worrying. When I asked him about Mesa not matching their El84's he said there was no need due to the inherent tolerences in the tube design, or words to that effect.

I played the amp briefly again today - having swapped V1 and V5 - and I must say that there was a definite improvement: much tighter and more musical higher gain. Will try again over the next few days to see if change is consistent. I have ordered a replacement ECC83S, but was wondering about a long plate version you mentioned in an earlier posting. Is this a GT offereing and what model is it? Thanks.

Mike
Mike,

for phase inverters I use the long plate 12AX7M.

On matching of output EL84's .... try a set of EL84S in a #6 rating and tell me if you do not see an improvement in tone, clarity, definition and sustain.

I disagree with John on this point a LOT.

Untested and unmatched EL84 tubes are very inconsistent.

#1354039 - 11/01/05 03:31 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
Mike1959 Offline

Myles,

Though my knowledge on this subject is minimal, I would agree with your reasoning as it makes perfect sense to me. I've order a replacement ECC83S and 12AX7M (wow- twice the price for the latter). I was 'quietly' feeling relieved when I played the amp today, having swapped the V1 and V5. I could get a really nice clean tone and the heavy gain settings were really aggresive but musical at the same time. This is exactly why I bought the Boogie in the first place.

Once I've replaced the preamp valves and I am happy that the noise problems are resolved, I will replace the EL84s with #6s. I've got a feeling that the #6s may impart a softer top end - not so brittle. Damn I wish I kept with what you said in the first place and not be swayed by other peoples opinions. Mayybe the #8s would better suit a blues player as they do have have a nice sparkle to the tone.

If all works okay, I will even consider a 1x12 ext cab for live stuff. Oh God - incoming GAS attack!

Anyway, thanks again Myles for sticking with my problem. Much appreciated.

Mike

#1354040 - 11/02/05 10:46 AM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
LPCustom Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
Hi Myles,

I'm thinking of taking one of my Marshall Lead 12 cabinets and amp box and building a low power (5 to 10 watts) tube amp in that. Can you recommend a good low power tube amp kit? A PCB and plans is good enough to start with.

I've thought about buying an Epiphone Galaxie 10 amp and moving the amp section into my Marshall cabinet and amp box then tapping in an eq. But I think I'd get more satisfaction from building the entire amp myself.

I'm not interested much in additional circuits like reverb or tremolo. But it would be nice if it had a built in 3 band eq and gain control. A diode rectifier is fine. No need for a tube one. So far, I've turned up nothing like that.

Thanks!

#1354041 - 11/02/05 12:23 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Myles,

Though my knowledge on this subject is minimal, I would agree with your reasoning as it makes perfect sense to me. I've order a replacement ECC83S and 12AX7M (wow- twice the price for the latter). I was 'quietly' feeling relieved when I played the amp today, having swapped the V1 and V5. I could get a really nice clean tone and the heavy gain settings were really aggresive but musical at the same time. This is exactly why I bought the Boogie in the first place.

Once I've replaced the preamp valves and I am happy that the noise problems are resolved, I will replace the EL84s with #6s. I've got a feeling that the #6s may impart a softer top end - not so brittle. Damn I wish I kept with what you said in the first place and not be swayed by other peoples opinions. Mayybe the #8s would better suit a blues player as they do have have a nice sparkle to the tone.

If all works okay, I will even consider a 1x12 ext cab for live stuff. Oh God - incoming GAS attack!

Anyway, thanks again Myles for sticking with my problem. Much appreciated.

Mike
Mike,

Blues players like softer numbers .... 3's.

The tone of a tube has nothing to do with it's rating. It is only at what level the tube hits a certain rate of distortion.

#1354042 - 11/02/05 12:25 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LPCustom:
Hi Myles,

I'm thinking of taking one of my Marshall Lead 12 cabinets and amp box and building a low power (5 to 10 watts) tube amp in that. Can you recommend a good low power tube amp kit? A PCB and plans is good enough to start with.

I've thought about buying an Epiphone Galaxie 10 amp and moving the amp section into my Marshall cabinet and amp box then tapping in an eq. But I think I'd get more satisfaction from building the entire amp myself.

I'm not interested much in additional circuits like reverb or tremolo. But it would be nice if it had a built in 3 band eq and gain control. A diode rectifier is fine. No need for a tube one. So far, I've turned up nothing like that.

Thanks!
There are a ton of kits on the net.

I'd search around a bit.

#1354043 - 11/03/05 03:25 AM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
DanielT Offline

Loc: Otsego, MI
Hi Myles,

Thanks for being there with much needed help.

My amp (Carvin Bellair 50 watt combo, all tube) has recently developed a 60 cycle hum. Could this be caused by the tubes, even though they don't look blue, or is it more likely to be my cable?

This amp does not have a ground switch, and the buzz is evident wherever it is plugged in.

Thanks again,

Dan

#1354044 - 11/03/05 11:17 AM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DanielT:
Hi Myles,

Thanks for being there with much needed help.

My amp (Carvin Bellair 50 watt combo, all tube) has recently developed a 60 cycle hum. Could this be caused by the tubes, even though they don't look blue, or is it more likely to be my cable?

This amp does not have a ground switch, and the buzz is evident wherever it is plugged in.

Thanks again,

Dan
Dan,

Try a different guitar cable as a start.

Try the amp in a different location as you may have a grounding issue in it's current location.

If those two things are of no help, get a fresh 12AX7 and swap it in and out of each preamp tube slot, one at a time.

If this does not work and you have more than 300 hours on the output tubes put in a new matched set.

If that does not work it is filter cap time.

#1354045 - 11/03/05 03:17 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
Mike1959 Offline

Hi Myles,

I have received today the replacement GT-EC833S and GT-12AX7-M tubes. I have installed them but I won't be able to try them out until tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

It the meantime, I have contacted a Mesa Tech in London. He will perform the bias set up for the #6 tubes, but he is not familiar with these Groove Tubes and has asked what the bias voltage should be set to. Can you advise me?

Thanks.
Mike

#1354046 - 11/03/05 03:27 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Hi Myles,

I have received today the replacement GT-EC833S and GT-12AX7-M tubes. I have installed them but I won't be able to try them out until tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

It the meantime, I have contacted a Mesa Tech in London. He will perform the bias set up for the #6 tubes, but he is not familiar with these Groove Tubes and has asked what the bias voltage should be set to. Can you advise me?

Thanks.
Mike
The bias should be set with a current probe and set to to 30mA for 6L6 tubes or 38mA for EL34 tubes on Mesa amps if an adjustable bias pot is installed.

With the stock fixed bias a #6 would run pretty good stock.

With EL84 amps there is no adjustable bias, the amp is self biasing, cathode biased. #6's are drop in plug and play.

#1354047 - 11/03/05 04:12 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
Mike1959 Offline

Myles,

Re: Nomad 45

The Mesa tech asked me because the bias has been changed from stock. The tech who recently serviced the amp installed a bias circuitl, which I understant has been calibrated for #8s. So wouldn't it require setting back to stock - whatever that setting is?

#1354048 - 11/03/05 11:16 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
GtrWiz Offline

Loc: LA
Hey Myles,

A friend told me recently that tube amps, that aren't being used regularly, should be turned on once a month for at least 20 minutes. Is there any trueth to this? If so, what are the benifits? I've never heard about this, but he knows his stuff...

Chris

#1354049 - 11/04/05 09:47 AM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Myles,

Re: Nomad 45

The Mesa tech asked me because the bias has been changed from stock. The tech who recently serviced the amp installed a bias circuitl, which I understant has been calibrated for #8s. So wouldn't it require setting back to stock - whatever that setting is?
I do not understand how the bias was changed from stock. You need to talk to your tech for more detail as this sounds like a tech run around to charge more money.

#1354050 - 11/04/05 09:49 AM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GtrWiz:
Hey Myles,

A friend told me recently that tube amps, that aren't being used regularly, should be turned on once a month for at least 20 minutes. Is there any trueth to this? If so, what are the benifits? I've never heard about this, but he knows his stuff...

Chris
Chris...

Turn unused amps on a few times a year ... for a few minutes, as in two or three ... just to keep the caps from drying out.

#1354051 - 11/04/05 04:23 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
GtrWiz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by myles111:
Quote:
Hey Myles,

Chris
Chris...

Turn unused amps on a few times a year ... for a few minutes, as in two or three ... just to keep the caps from drying out.
Thanks,

BTW I checked out the your site, lots of great info there, but where should I start?
Also, which of the amp techs on your links page would be good for Fender amps, specifically a '67 bassman, and late 60's princeton? Lookin' to possibly hot rod these suckers.

Chris

#1354052 - 11/04/05 05:05 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Myles,

Chris
Chris...

Thanks,

BTW I checked out the your site, lots of great info there, but where should I start?
Also, which of the amp techs on your links page would be good for Fender amps, specifically a '67 bassman, and late 60's princeton? Lookin' to possibly hot rod these suckers.

Chris
Chris,

All of the techs on my tech page could deal with any Fender amp in their sleep.

I would NEVER touch these amps though ... they are great stock. If you want something hotter buy a hotter amp.

#1354053 - 11/04/05 06:43 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles
GtrWiz Offline

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks,

Chris [/qb]
Chris,

All of the techs on my tech page could deal with any Fender amp in their sleep.

I would NEVER touch these amps though ... they are great stock. If you want something hotter buy a hotter amp. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Maybe hot rod wasn't the right term... I know the Princeton needs some love, it sounds good at low volumes, but cranked it's a bit flat. Sweet tremolo though.
I just picked up the bassman today on ebay, recovered with a fine black carpet. I haven't heard it yet, but I've heard of some mods that can be done to combine the two channels for more tonal options. Maybe I'll just have it tuned up first...

Page 94 of 186 < 1 2 ... 92 93 94 95 96 ... 185 186 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose