Print Thread
Duran Duran at Wembley #1290156 06/27/06 05:19 AM
R
Red Winger Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
R
Anyone seen this? I'm watching D squared at Wembley right now on INHD2 and, while I always liked them back in the 80's, they really put on a great show live (particularly great in HD, I must say). Better than I expected, really. Very tight. Nick just rocks! He's playing a Juno (mostly...Save a Prayer - simple pitch lever trick there), microKorg (maybe to trigger samples/sequences?...some use of the vocoder), Andy, V-Synth (particularly on The Reflex...interesting), and another board that I can't identify, and is clearing triggering some samples/modules setup off-stage on some songs.

I gotta say, though, John is a terrific bassist. Solid, great playing. Actually, all the Taylors are solid. They've also got a great backing vocalist in Sarah (sp?) Brown...she compliments Simon's voice very well.

Anyway, no real reason to post...just thought I'd say "check it out" as I was very impressed and it brought back a lot of good memories of their music. IMO, just a really great example of a band that wove keys and guitar/bass together in a way that wound up being a big part of the sound for their time. If you haven't seen this vid, look around and try to catch it. It's very good.

Cheers,
Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."
-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)
KC Island
Re: Duran Duran at Wembley #1290157 06/27/06 11:18 AM
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure if it's the same concert, but VH1 has run a recent concert of theirs. It was fun to watch. The keyboard rig was just as you described. The Jupiter 8 looked beat to hell, but sounded great. I also noticed he had a power-book set up, but I couldn't tell what it was being used for. I was impressed with their live sound. It looked like most parts were being covered by the band live. I couldn't tell if there were any pre-recorded backing tracks, but it didn't appear so.

Re: Duran Duran at Wembley #1290158 06/27/06 11:35 AM
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I saw a bit of this last night on one of the HD channels. I wasn't very impressed by the keyboards. He had a nice rig and used the same thin stringy sound on nearly every song. The keys on the one ballad were the best, at least they didn't use that string sound.

The band itself sounded good, but I expected that when I saw this cool key rig that there would have been more coming out of it.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1
Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6
www.bksband.com
www.echoesrocks.com
Re: Duran Duran at Wembley #1290159 06/27/06 03:28 PM
R
Red Winger Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
R
Well, I guess it's a matter of expectations. Maybe mine were low enough that I thought more of the keys. I respectfully disagree about using only one string sound. There was a lot more going on than just that. I liked the way that the keys layered in with the sound and provided a foundation with lots of rhythmic movements (and the occasional hooky riff). I thought, for the music, it was just the right thing. But, that's just my opinion, of course.

Abeck, you're right. I brain-farted last night. It was, of course, a Jupiter 8, not a Juno, that Nick was playing.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: Duran Duran at Wembley #1290160 06/27/06 05:21 PM
Botch. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Saw them on tour last summer, although they seemed like a "made-for-MTV" pretty boy band I liked them even from the start.
They wrote MELODIES. I love singing DD songs in the shower or when I'm driving. There's a short concert DVD in their last CD release, guess I'll be going out to buy this DVD too. Thanks for the head's-up!

Botch
"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will
http://www.puddlestone.net
Re: Duran Duran at Wembley #1290161 06/27/06 08:05 PM
R
Red Winger Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
R

Re: Duran Duran at Wembley #1290162 06/27/06 09:36 PM
SilverDragonSoun Offline
Laker Hater
MP Hall of Fame Member
Laker Hater
MP Hall of Fame Member
I saw them on Vh1 as well. I was with my younger cousin and a few of her friends. Told them how these guys were popular when I was growing up. The look they gave me a look as I turned around made me feel old and unhip. It was a reality check of sorts for me as I realized I really am approaching 40. I guess this might be the beginning of a mid life crisis.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive
- Rush
Re: Duran Duran at Wembley #1290163 06/27/06 11:37 PM
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Damn. The thing is - whenever I see a live performance on VH1 from some eighties band, I usually think:
1. Wow, they still sound good
2. Why are there no new bands these days that have such a good live sound? Well, pop bands that is.

Re: Duran Duran at Wembley #1290164 06/27/06 11:38 PM
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Double post

Re: Duran Duran at Wembley #1290165 06/28/06 05:57 AM
NoahZark Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I agree with Botch. The great irony of Duran Duran is that, because they were all pretty boys, they'll be forever remembered as one of the pioneers of the video revolution on MTV, when it seemed all of a sudden that looks and creative videos mattered more than musicianship. But the fact is, with the exception of Simon LeBon (who, IMO, is just an okay vocalist), the musicians in that band -- Andy Taylor on guitar, Roger Taylor on drums, John Taylor on bass, and, obviously for this crowd, Nick Rhodes on keys -- were simply outstanding.

To me, Duran Duran were a lot like Journey -- a fantastically talented band that also just happened to be very popular at the same time (and which many critics and other "serious" fans of music were too quick to dismiss).

Noah

P.S. Silver Dragon Sound: I'm right there with you on both approaching 40 and having increased instances of feeling old and unhip. Not cool at all. \:\(

Re: Duran Duran at Wembley #1290166 06/30/06 10:20 PM
M
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
Well, I was a bit disappointed to see the original lineup get back together, as I felt the later lineups were far superior both in terms of chops and in terms of inventiveness. But this DVD did impress me with its energy and tightness.

John Taylor has always been an inspiration to me on bass, and I love playing those old classic DD tunes and continuously discovering additional nuances in the bass parts that I had missed previously. I continue to grow my own playing chops by following John's lead, and the vocal harmonies are a fun challenge.

To me the weak link has always been Andy Taylor, and even moreso now than before. he had very little stage energy or presence/persona. Warren Cuccareela of Missing Persons was far better, and they started writing more interesting music after he joined. I love the classic tunes but it was a formula that ran dru after three albums. The new album has some great tunes but they are essentially rehashes of the classic tunes/formula; whereas their 1990's output was more exploratory.

Nick Rhodes amazes me in his wizadry, and the Jupiter8 is especially impressive on this live set. I hear it gave up the ghost right after the tour and he finally had to trash it, reluctantly. Apparantly he has replaced it with soft synths, but also still uses his two Andromedas (I think the second is primarily for backup, but maybe he uses one to trigger the other via step sequencing).

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari
Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold Top, G5422DC-12, T486-RB, ES295, PM2, EXL1
WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: Duran Duran at Wembley #1290167 07/01/06 07:44 PM
mr. heem Offline
N. Rhodes is definitely an artist!
His tour set-up for that vid (which I enjoyed enough to buy) is the JP-8 over the A-6 and a V-Synth over a "maxxed" Kurzweil K-2000. He also uses a Micro-Korg as a vocoder. The Powerbook is a question mark. Some say it's for samples, others for MIDI sequences, and some say both. I'd love to know how it all synchs up. I've contemplated an e-mail to his tech (Mark Tinley), but haven't worked up the huevos yet. Also, Nick is rumored to have recently purchased a JP-8 from a member of another BB Forum.
I also used to think that AT's playing on the first 3 albums was weakish, but I think the new vid shows a guy who does what he does pretty well. I think his style has matured. Can't be easy being a guitarist with rock roots in a funky synth-pop type band. He began to break out on the '85 "PowerStation" album (one of my all-time favorites; check out the extended re-release).
JT and RT? One of the most underrated rythym sections ever. I agree that their proficiency was obscured by the "pigeon hole" the band was put in.
SL is a writer, showman and performer. His vocals are what they are. More impressive to me is that he still sounds the same as he did 25 years ago. Any vocalist that can hold that kind of consistency is a pro in my book.
Just my $.02
Mr. H

"Politics is a disease for dirty little animals. We were wrong from the start..." Memo from Skinner

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner