Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1280347 - 05/12/06 09:37 AM Roland RD-250s
Keyboard Man 2 Offline

Loc: america
I am a student with limited funds and want to buy a good digital piano. i have come across a Roland RD-250s and it is reasonably priced. Any one have any thoughts on this keyboard?

KC Island
#1280348 - 05/12/06 09:56 AM Re: Roland RD-250s
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Initial thoughts:

• it was made in the late 80's
  • it only has 76 keys, not the full 88
  • it uses Roland's older (but still popular with some folks) SA Synthesis to create the piano tones
  • the action wasn't the best Roland ever produced, but not the worst either
  • it doesn't have built-in speakers, so your options are headphones or some sort of amplification
  • it's a Roland, so it's from a solid manufacturer

You owe it to yourself to do a Google search for Roland RD-250S and read through the Harmony Central user reviews of the 250S, and the Sound On Sound magazine article about SAS.

You should also register at the Roland US website and then download the PDF version of the manual for this piano for free.

Good luck.

#1280349 - 05/12/06 10:57 AM Re: Roland RD-250s
Bill H. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Columbia River Gorge, US
The rubber dome key contact switches Roland used back then weren't as sturdy as newer ones. Play all notes carefully and make sure there are no false triggers, which are usually very loud notes when you play quiet. Or notes that don't sound at all.

Only 16 notes poly. I think I'd actually steer someone with limited funds towards one of those newer Casios. There are a lot of bargains in used digital pianos today.

#1280350 - 05/12/06 02:50 PM Re: Roland RD-250s
blue and white Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
The Roland RD-250S is a qwerky little board. I like the action on the one that I use occasionally. It's very fast. I believe it's "weighted" with springs, not weights, so it has a very vast return. Similar to what a heavy synth keyboard would feel like.

The piano sound isn't great for piano solo, but it'd fit fantastically in a rock band context. I find that I like piano 2 better, its a little brighter and a little more realistic. The most realistic piano on there, however, is piano 3, the electric grand preset.

The clav is amazing, I truly love it. Although it is a bit painful to do slapping techniques on that keybed. I also love the vibraphone, with the brilliance down low. If brilliance is too high, then it sounds pretty digital. Harpsichord is okay.

I L VE the electric pianos. E.Piano 1 is a great, yet different Rhodes. It has a unique character of it's own, yet still feels Rhodes-y. E.Piano 2 is a DX-7 FM style ep. It's actually one of the best I've played because it isn't ultra-cheezy and I'd actually use it.

In your "effects section", you've got tremolo and chorus. The chorus isn't adjustable, but it doesn't really need to be. It's a very nice slow chorus, great on the E.Pianos for making them a bit fatter. The tremolo is absolutely phenomenal. In mono, it's a nice pulsing tremolo, but in stereo, its a full on l-r panning auto-pan a-la the Rhodes Suitcase preamp. Gorgeous. I wish I could route external sounds through it.

This thing is a BEAST however. It's gotta weigh a good 60 pounds, at least. Plus, mine has a full-on flight case. Definately a two person lift. And its probably a good one 1 1/2 feet deep, great for stacking another keyboard on top.

I'd play it yourself, if you can. It gives off very different impressions. You may love it and you might hate it. If the casio's that have been mentioned here (i.e. the privia series) are un-available to you or out of your price range (I'm not sure of pricing in Ireland), then I'd definately consider it.

(edit: included review of the effects, which I accidentally left out before and fixed some of my opinions so they're a bit more clear.)
(edit 2: fixed some dodgy spelling in my previous edit :rolleyes: )

#1280351 - 05/12/06 03:54 PM Re: Roland RD-250s
Bill H. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blue and white:

I L VE the electric pianos. E.Piano 1 is a great, yet different Rhodes. It has a unique character of it's own, yet still feels Rhodes-y.
To this day I prefer the sound of an SA Rhodes (like in the RD-250/300) over a sampled Rhodes, But then again I'm pretty retarded.

My RD-300s is currently with my son. I'll never get rid of it... but it may be on loan to him for awhile.

#2319946 - 07/11/11 09:44 AM Re: Roland RD-250s [Re: Bill H.]
Zoomot Offline

Hey Bill H....I played on the road from 1982 until 1992. I used the Roland RD250s toward the end of my tenure with rock bands. Due to the bad economy and loss of my small business I'm now playing again. I need a new set of rubber dome contacts for my old RD250s. Any ideas where I could find some?

#2319982 - 07/11/11 11:09 AM Re: Roland RD-250s [Re: Zoomot]
Bill H. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Have you tried Roland customer support? (323) 890-3740

You used to be able to order parts from them but I haven't tried to in years.

Yep - five years later and I'm still on the forum.

#2330539 - 08/15/11 04:13 PM Re: Roland RD-250s [Re: Keyboard Man 2]
bmusic Offline

I been fixing RD 250s for years. I like it very much but parts are disapearing. Can anyone link me to key contact pads for RD250

#2330545 - 08/15/11 04:30 PM Re: Roland RD-250s [Re: Bill H.]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: bmusic
I been fixing RD 250s for years. I like it very much but parts are disapearing. Can anyone link me to key contact pads for RD250

Originally Posted By: Bill H.
Have you tried Roland customer support? (323) 890-3740

You used to be able to order parts from them but I haven't tried to in years.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner