Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Want opinions on a bass for sale

Physiks

Hello everyone. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum and I was looking from some opinions.

I found a bass for sale on craigslist, it's a 1975 P-bass for $750. I'll give you all the information (phone + email exchange) I have now. I've talked to the guy on the phone and he seems very nice. But basically I want to understand why the bass is only $750 (an all original bass would be like 2k, yes?), and if the experts think this is a good price.

Original Ad (scroll to the bottom of ad for the P-bass):

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/311992389.html

I replied with these questions:

1. What is the serial #?

2. Are you the first owner? If not, do you know the origins?

3. What led to the neck needing to be refretted?

4. When you say the frets need to be dressed (depending on preference), what do you mean? Are the frets uneven? Is there any intonation?

5. Would you say the action is high, low, middle?

6. What was the original color, why was the paint stripped?

He replied:

1. SN:6226XX

2. no and no. My brother is a pro musician; I was looking for this exact bass (more or less) for a while. It is rare because it is an "A" neck p-bass (meaning it has a J-width 1 1/4" at the nut rather than the traditional 1 3/8 p-width. It rules. I'm broke. My bro paid 900 for this one with an awful body refin job. I am a capable Fender jockey, so I took it as a project to be my main instrument. I have since really only been playing guitar, so this is an expensive luxury item for me now.

3. I think this beast was played very extensively by the original owner. The body is near-immaculate, so I'm guessing that man (woman?) rocked that crap out of some people, funk-wise (and thusly wore the frets out).

4. The frets are installed and leveled nicely. The ends need to be dressed, although I've played rougher necks :) It is an easy job for even a beginner with some patience. A fret file will run you about 15 bucks. The rest is patience to achieve the level of finish you like on your frets.

5. The action is low. A little too low currently; I haven't done a final setup on it yet, because I was planning to take it apart again. I just put it together to hear it. It rips.

6. The original finish was sunburst. I like solid colors, so I chose not to go that route with the refin. The guy that owned it before just got bored I guess, because the body is beautiful, so I can't imagine why he stripped it originally.

also, the pickups date to 74, the pots late 74, the serial is early 75. That stuff is in line with usual fender builds (assembly-line style factory, parts warehoused until instruments are built, etc).

That's it, I'm supposed to go check it out tomorrow. So what does everyone think. All opinions appreciated. Thanks again.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure I understand the part about the body refinish. Is the person selling the bass, the one that refinished it? I have seen some very nice mid-70's go for under $1,000 but it is my opinion is that the refinish hurts the value even if it is nicely done. The refreting does not devalue it as badly if well done. If it has an original case in good condition, that alone could add $100 I think $750 may be a fair price for both parties.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the opinion. I wasn't quite sure about the re-finish either. I believe he got the bass stripped, and he was going to finish it black.

I guess I'm wondering if people think there is some sort of redeeming value with this bass, or if you were going to spend 600-1k on a bass, would it be better just to buy new?

It looks like a decent bass, but you can't tell from photos what it plays like. I'm with Jeremy, and I like the idea of playing the bass first. #20,000 could be a good bass, but #20,001 might be a lemon.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Yup, play it and see what you think.

I played a '74 P bass that was pretty beat up a few years ago. The shop wanted $900 for it. It sounded and felt great, but was definitely "well played."

$750 does not seem out of line. I'm not sure whether I'd buy it as an investment, though. I'd buy it primarily as a bass to play. That said, I don't think I ever buy instruments as an investment!

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

My first bass was a '78 Fender Precision.

It was a piece of garbage, with a neck pocket so wide and mismatched to the neck that there was nearly 1/16" of space between the neck and the body. It weighed a ton and sounded terrible.

I bought it for $450 and sold it for $200 in 1996 to help pay for my 20th Anniversary Stingray. If I had held onto it, I would have probably been able to sell it for $750 or $800 today...but I would've been ripping off the person I sold it to.

Price seems low -- Fenders of that vintage tend to do a little better usually. This was typically the period just before Fender quality really went off the deep end for awhile.

I have a modded '76 Fender Jazz (see Sig picture) that I've priced comparatively on eBay at $1,600-$1,800, if that gives you any indication.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Archived