Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hooking up a Leslie 2101 to my D-152

DafDuc

Holy crap, this guy said $367 + labor! He's usually real cheap, too.

What's involved is converting 6-pin to 11-pin, getting me an 11-pin cable, which I don't have, and wiring me so I can still switch between my internal speaker (a D-152 is like a slightly larger A-100) and the 2101. Some other repairs on top of that, so total ticket is probably $500.

Man, I could have gotten a new 122 for the cost of the 2101 plus his costs.

Like I said, this guy's always been real reasonable, so I said go ahead. But it's worth a sanity check - anyone else done this? Is the price out of line?

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. Seems to me like you could get this done by just getting an 11 pin from Goff or BB organ and just hooking it up as though it were a new installation from the get go. Unfortunately this will cost about the same. 11 pin cable is about 100 for 30 feet and the kits are around 250 so it matches out. About the only advantage is that you are not messing with some sort of 6 to 11 adapter so there is one less thing to worry about. Hope this helps.

The problem is Hammond doesn't make a simple kit that goes from a 6pin output (be it 122 or 147 style) to an 11pin input. They make ones that go the OTHER way (ie, 11pin to 6pin) but that doesn't help you.

So probably what your tech has to do is get an 11pin Leslie kit installed in the organ. Those are not cheap, the labor is not cheap, and then the 11pin cord isn't cheap. Kind of a drag.

I probably would've gotten a used 122 myself.

Thanks guys. We had a space issue, so the 122 was a very unpopular option with she-who-must-be-appeased.

Guy's coming to day to hook 'er up. I'm pretty excited.

The 2101 is connected to an Ashdown 307/410 bass combo amp - hoping we'll get some real floor-shakin bass going there. If it doesn't work out, no real loss - had the Ashdown anyhow...

That should work. The 21 top unit electronically creates rotating bass which should not only shake but move around a bit too. Don't forget that the 21 top has two outputs. Use 'em both as if you were hooking up the 2121 bottom unit (which is essentially a big stand alone amp anyway) and you ought to have good leslie with plenty of volume in essentially the same space the Ashdown took up. Good luck

The tech had nothing but trouble, poor guy. And Hammond wouldn't return his calls. He wound up doing some creative rigging of the setup, but says it works and sounds good. I'll give it a spin (pun intended) tonight, see how it goes...

Sounds awesome. Don't know if it sounds $410 awesome, especially given the Rube Goldberg setup, but, with that Ashdown, no drummer will EVER drown me out again.

The Leslie celeste speed is set slower than I like, guess I'll have to crack the manual to find out how to adjust...

Archived