Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Thanks for the Rhodes Chroma spotlight in the last issue. #1235910 09/28/05 02:45 PM
R
RABid Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
R
Many here know that the Rhodes Chroma was my favorite synth. Someday I will replace the one I lost in a fire years ago. I purchased that keyboard without ever seeing or hearing one played. There was no internet at the time and no one I knew had ever seen one. Furthermore, no one in Kentucky had a Rhodes Chroma on display. Nashville was my best bet to see one and that city is 4 hours away.

So why did I buy a Rhodes Chroma without trying one first? Trust in a review in Keyboard Magazine. In truth, after listing all of the features of that keyboard there was not a lot of space left in the review for opinion. The review was basically “here is what it does, it works well and sounds great”. I was heavy into synthesis at the time so once I read the features I had to have that keyboard. I found a small advertisement in the back of the Keyboard Magazine for a large music store in New York City. I called them up and they had a Chroma. The next day I arranged a bank transfer. Back then you did not use credit cards for orders. About two weeks later it arrived on a truck and I was in heaven.

I still have that issue and someday I will have another Rhodes Chroma.

By the way, does anyone know who did the patch programming on the Chroma? It had the best stock patches ever on a keyboard and I have had real difficulty recreating some of them on anything else.

Robert

KC Island
Re: Thanks for the Rhodes Chroma spotlight in the last issue. #1235911 09/28/05 03:57 PM
DafDuc Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
+1

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:
"Tower of Polka."
- Calumet
Re: Thanks for the Rhodes Chroma spotlight in the last issue. #1235912 09/28/05 04:54 PM
mate stubb Offline
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Rabid,

All questions Chroma are best directed to the fantastic Chroma website, where there is a forum that includes some very sharp people well versed in its history.

The Rhodes Chroma Site

Moe
---
"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com
Re: Thanks for the Rhodes Chroma spotlight in the last issue. #1235913 09/28/05 05:44 PM
Bill H. Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
The Chroma article seems to have been cobbled together from previous things Mark's done...a shame...an important vintage piece, but no new or insightful info...

Re: Thanks for the Rhodes Chroma spotlight in the last issue. #1235914 09/28/05 08:44 PM
marino Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
I bought my Chroma about one year after it first come out. I played one in my favorite music store and was mesmerized by its sound. I had not planned to spend a fortune on a synth, but I guess that was my first serious GAS attack! \:\) I bought it right away.
A while later, I also bought an Apple IIe and the Chroma computer interface. No mouse, no graphics... but there was nothing like it back then. Of course, they were going to come up with MIDI... :rolleyes:

I sold it a few years ago, after twenty years of honoured service... I had bad dreams about it for more than an year. Really.

Nowadays, I have big hopes for that TimewARP 2600 (when it's available for PCs). It could fulfil the original promise of a polyphonic, programmable ARP 2600.

Re: Thanks for the Rhodes Chroma spotlight in the last issue. #1235915 09/28/05 11:11 PM
R
robmix Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
I sold my two Chromas and every once in a while I regret it. It had it's uses but also spent some time in the shop. I got one after I worked with Jeff Bova who is a Chroma nut. Someday I'll pick up another one.

Rob Hoffman
http://www.robmixmusic.com
Los Angeles, CA
Re: Thanks for the Rhodes Chroma spotlight in the last issue. #1235916 10/04/05 02:57 PM
R
RABid Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
R
Someone has a Chroma on Ebay. It has a MIDI interface and all manuals. Looks nice, but bidding is already up to $2000. That's too much for me.

Robert

Re: Thanks for the Rhodes Chroma spotlight in the last issue. #1235917 10/05/05 06:17 PM
Stephen Fortner Offline
But who is number 1 ? ...
MP Hall of Fame Member
But who is number 1 ? ...
MP Hall of Fame Member
Rob, Primitive in Burbank (1165 W. Magnolia, before you hit the bridge that goes over the 5 to Ikea and stuff) had one in good shape last time I was in. I think they quoted me, like, $1200 for it. Only problem was it didn't have many usable patches. It did include the MIDI interface, though.

"I'm just a confused musician who got sidetracked into this damned word business..." -Hunter S. Thompson

Stephen Fortner
Principal, Fortner Media
Senior Editor, Music Player Network
Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine
Content Creator and Behind-the-Scenes Writing Wonk, Damned Near Everyone
Re: Thanks for the Rhodes Chroma spotlight in the last issue. #1235918 10/06/05 08:03 AM
BrianK Offline
I think I know where one is for about $1000. Clean and working, I hear. Won't sell mine - I sold almost ALL of my polysynths, but the Chroma stays!

Relax and float downstream...
Re: Thanks for the Rhodes Chroma spotlight in the last issue. #1235919 10/06/05 10:44 AM
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
If there's enough potential buyers I'm sure LG Electronics will come with a remake pretty soon...

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner