Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Perfect Piano V - Is this the Ultimate Piano?
#1228873 08/14/05 08:06 PM
But who is number 1 ? ...
MP Hall of Fame Member
But who is number 1 ? ...
MP Hall of Fame Member
Marino,

I want to add my voice to the chorus of support. On this forum, there is nothing anyone could say that could even tarnish the well-earned respect and credibility you have.

The experiences of you and Mr. Horne seem so bizarre that I'm still trying to make sense of it all, but believe me, none of this has gone unnoticed.

"I'm just a confused musician who got sidetracked into this damned word business..." -Hunter S. Thompson

Stephen Fortner
Principal, Fortner Media
Senior Editor, Music Player Network
Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Keyboard Corner Island
#1228874 08/14/05 08:12 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hey Stephen,

Sorry to temporarily hijack this topic, but I'm hoping to get your attention:

Quote:
Keyboard should print an article screaming for PEOPLE OF EASTERN EUROPEAN DESCENT TO GET THEIR BLOOD TESTED TO BE A MATCHING DONOR FOR MICHAEL BRECKER IN HIS FIGHT AGAINST CANCER. A matching donor has not yet been found (despite rumors to the contrary), and Michael is most certainly an international treasure whose plight deserves much wider media attention. I know he's not primarily a keyboard player, but we're talking about life and death here.

#1228875 08/14/05 11:32 PM
M
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Markyboard:
Quote:
Originally posted by Immo:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Davis:
quote:
Originally posted by Markyboard:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Davis:
Well actually there is a best ice cream: Breyers Black Cherry \:\)
Do you wear a tongue ring?
?
He was parodying the previous hearing aide comment. I was entertained.
Thanks - guess it needed one of these: \:D [/QB]
Yep, I figured it out right after I posted the question mark. Markyboard, that was pretty clever \:\)

#1228876 08/15/05 02:19 PM
?
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
?
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:
Marino,

I want to add my voice to the chorus of support. On this forum, there is nothing anyone could say that could even tarnish the well-earned respect and credibility you have.

The experiences of you and Mr. Horne seem so bizarre that I'm still trying to make sense of it all, but believe me, none of this has gone unnoticed.
Absolutely.

And I hope that you and the big guys at Keyboard will not only ban this Coakley from this site because of what he has done, but also refrain from helping him in any way by means of your magazine (publicity, etc.).

#1228877 08/15/05 05:46 PM
Cydonia posted: "And I hope that you and the big guys at Keyboard will not only ban this Coakley from this site because of what he has done, but also refrain from helping him in any way by means of your magazine (publicity, etc.)."

Well, I cannot imagine the sales department refusing to sell Coakley ads, y'all. They've got guns to their heads to bring in every last nickel. (Ever seen the film Glengarry Glenn Ross?) Of course, this assumes he wants to continue to reach you guys with ads in the magazine. I'd lay those odds at 50/50, at best. But if he does continue to advertise, we can't hold back new product announcements in the New Gear section. We publish new release info there on products whose makers _don't_ advertise, so it wouldn't be fair to withhold news coverage from an active advertiser. When it comes to reviews in the Audition section, though, he and I will have to have a little talk before anything happens.

I'd be the most egregious liar if I tried to tell you all that this whole bizarre episode has had no impact on my perception of him and his business. If and when Mr. Coakley submits his product for review (and I think it's safe to say he won't, given the opinions he expresses about our objectivity), I'm going to have to find a reviewer who's been blissfully unaware of all the "Coakley-related forum hoo-ha." I'm way past the capacity for objectivity in this case.

I'm in a really bizarre and uncomfortable position to ASK for the products for review as well. Judging by his actions here, if we found ANY fault with it, it'd be, "See?? I told you they weren't fair and objective!! They're out to damage my business!" If we liked it, it would look like his ad dollars bought him a good review in spite of all the ugliness. Neither option is acceptable in my mind. There's no easy way forward. Sad thing is, he has created this situation completely on his own.

Technical Editor
Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard than any other music-tech magazine. Period.
#1228878 08/15/05 06:24 PM
K
kad Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
K
Quote:
Originally posted by KenHughes:
There's no easy way forward.
Sure there is... just be honest and objective. Fortunately, you only have to review products and not their developers. \:D

Honesty never needs to make an excuse for itself. \:\)

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...
#1228879 08/15/05 06:38 PM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Something that really puzzles me is his attitude toward other developers. For someone that cannot take criticism he sure is quick to cut down products like Ivory, PMI Bosendorpher 290, and the Roland SRX-11 card. Imagine what he would do if other developers started pointing out problems with his collection.

Robert

This post edited for speling.
#1228880 08/15/05 06:59 PM
J
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
J
Quote:
Originally posted by KenHughes:
If and when Mr. Coakley submits his product for review (and I think it's safe to say he won't, given the opinions he expresses about our objectivity), I'm going to have to find a reviewer who's been blissfully unaware of all the "Coakley-related forum hoo-ha." I'm way past the capacity for objectivity in this case.
It's a near-guarantee that Mr. Coakley won't submit his product for review. The last review that he has a link to on his site was from 1998; right around the time his samples started to lose their place among "the best".

It seems that his entire business is based on people buying the product (without possibility of a refund) based on mp3 demos from his site. I'm sure his recent insane behavior is indicative of his frustration at his inability to compete in the current market....he's a "has been" whose product is simply no longer relevant.

#1228881 08/15/05 07:01 PM
J
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Rabid:
Imagine what he would do if other developers started pointing out problems with his collection.
I know what he'd do. He would:

-accuse them of not setting up their monitors or room correctly
-ask them for their disc serial #'s
-accuse them all of piracy
-call them "gay" on his website

#1228882 08/18/05 06:14 AM
10k Club
10k Club
I'm going to have to find a reviewer who's been blissfully unaware of all the "Coakley-related forum hoo-ha."

That may be difficult to do.

#1228883 08/18/05 05:06 PM
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
In the interest of keeping the record straight...

Quote:
Originally posted by William Coakley:
Dave... I don't want to get into the Kurzweil issue but so let's close on this... the 250 incorporated software architecture that evolved into the VAST system, it's really not hard to grasp. The Fourier 150 was also part of that development supplying sounds that could be easily looped.
Quote:
Originally posted by William Coakley:
And there were more samples than you know that the Fourier developed. You are right, it never sounded that great with the stock patches but having 241 operators... it worked miracles for certain samples.
I just received the information below in an email from Joe Ierardi, who was the chief sound designer for Kurzweil for pretty much all of the company's history:

Quote:
in regard to the K150 generating sample source for Kurzweil product - as the guy who was there for *every* sample ROM created for every Kurzweil product, let me put an end to this notion.

There is not one... not ONE... sample, in any Kurzweil sample based product that was source from a K150 FS. Again.. the answer to that question is... zero samples were taken from the K150 for any of our products.

...and of course you are 100% correct that the K250 has nothing to do with VAST. Not one line of software code, not one bit of hardware. All of the custom silicon developed, and the accompanying DSP algorithms were specifically developed for VAST and debuted in the K2000.
I hope that should clarify any possible misunderstanding in that area...

dB

#1228884 08/18/05 06:14 PM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
As Ned Flanders often says...Hoakiley Coakiley! \:D

#1228885 08/18/05 06:50 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I hope Stephen Fortner will consider banning Coakley from this board. Dave and Marino are relevant, positive [well, DH is not always real positive \:D ], polite, interesting, professionally active and experienced contributors to the knowledge base, lore, and the genuine exchange of ideas that this forum should promote. I have never seen anything like this Coakley character, and I hope he's gone for good. Frankly, were I in such a position, I see no reason to test drive his products further or read reviews about the products. I've been exposed to him enough right here.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
#1228886 08/18/05 08:54 PM
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

dB

Wow. I just finished reading this entire thread.

I am sorry that Mr. Coakley has personal issues. :rolleyes: Let's move on.

I would like to thank Stephen Fortner and Dave Bryce for keeping their cool.

I would also like to thank Dave Bryce for my having a better understanding of Kurzweil architecture and the role he played in designing sounds for these instruments. I own a 1000PX rack with the A-Block of sounds Dave worked on. They are fantastic to this day. I also own a K2000 and a PC2X. I don't wear hearing aids or a tongue-ring, but I've always thought that the Kurzweil pianos and other programs and setups sounded great.

Finally, I appreciate Carlo and Dave Horne and all the other professionals who post here. I've learned a lot from you guys and I appreciate you taking your time to contribute to this forum. Most of my contributions only consist of bad humor and talk of speaker cabinets. :rolleyes: ;\)

Oh, while I'm at it - thank you Keyboard Magazine staff. It's really nice to hear from you and know that there's a soul behind the articles I'm reading in your magazine. Stay close.

OK. I'm through sucking up now. :p

Carry on.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo
#1228887 09/28/05 12:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Wow. Missed all the action.

Marino - you da man.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.
#1228888 09/28/05 12:48 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Do we really really have to dredge this up again? C'mon, let it die already.....

#1228889 09/28/05 01:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
No, I don't suppose we 'have' to, but I felt moved to comment.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.
#1228890 09/28/05 01:13 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
ELP, it wasn't just your one comment. Dave has felt it necessary to go to some other forums and start this up all over again, as recently as this week. The man seems to have a serious grudge.

#1228891 09/28/05 01:53 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
The only reason I have a grudge is this, Coakley modified my posts at his web site to make me out to be gay and drunk. He also accuses me of being a hacker.

As soon as he modified my posts the gloves came off and it became personal.

Also, there are six 'members' in his Hall of Fame. I know for fact that three do not use his product.

I have taken this very personally. I'm just trying to keep him honest. If I have posted _anything_ in error, tell me and I will correct it.

I'm only responding here because I saw my name mentioned.

#1228892 09/28/05 02:01 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Dave,

I know that WC is one screwed up individual, and you and Marino have every right to be upset. But it just seems like you're going to every_single_forum I frequent with this. No one actually thinks (or cares) if you're either a hacker or gay, (not that there's anything wrong with that. \:D ) Enough! IMHO call your lawyer or move on.

#1228893 09/28/05 02:18 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I tell you what, I don't care what the WC product is, I wouldn't buy it after his recent performances here and elsewhere. Frankly, he has a dog-pile coming.

#1228894 09/28/05 03:07 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I forgot to add this - I have called him and left a voice mail message asking him to consider publicly apologizing for modifying my posts. I have sent him e-mails for the same. He ignores my calls and my e-mails. I have given him every opportunity to correct his bizarre behavior.

I have visited and posted in five other music forums. I have only posted several messages in each forum.

Since I have spent some time in those other forums, I see how Coakley works. I have also come across very suspect posts that look suspiciously like his work. I am just keeping him honest. I have also sent him e-mails stating that I am not going away and that it would be in his financial interests to publicly apologize.

Lastly, I am not upset that he labeled me gay (or drunk or being a hacker), really. We have many gay friends here in the Netherlands. Over here, sexual preference is not an issue. There is a caf in my little village that is owned and operated by two gay guys. They are legally married (one has children from a previous marriage) and they opened their caf this year. No protests from the 'born agains', no letter writing to the newspapers, no nothing ... it's simply not an issue.

I am 55 years old. Had I been 25, those modified posts might have been devastating to me. When you're younger you're not as secure in yourself.

I am taking the advice my dear departed grandmother would have given me, f*** him.

I have no intention of taking the higher moral ground as long as he continues to lie about me. Period.

#1228895 09/28/05 03:30 PM
?
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
?
+1 to what cnegrad said. Let the loser lose.

#1228896 09/28/05 03:40 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Dave, God bless your sainted Grandmother. That is excellent advice!

David Loving #2864870 07/06/17 10:57 PM
Y
Y
Every good thread needs bumping once in a while.

yadayada #2864990 07/07/17 10:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: yadayada

But is this one of them? facepalm

Nord E4 SW73
Yamaha MODX7
Mainstage 3
nadroj #2865062 07/07/17 01:31 PM
Y
Y
Originally Posted By: Nadroj
Originally Posted By: yadayada

But is this one of them? facepalm

Yes.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner 

Link Copied to Clipboard