Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1179169 - 07/22/04 06:12 PM Akai S5000 card question
zeronyne Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Chicago/NW Indiana
I doubt that there will be any response to this, but what the heck.

Does anyone know where I could find an IDE/ATA card for an S5000? It would enable me to install an internal ATA drive. I think AudioMIDI used to stock it. Anyone see one around?

KC Island
#1179170 - 07/23/04 10:22 AM Re: Akai S5000 card question
FrankieP Offline
Gold Member

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by zeronyne:
I doubt that there will be any response to this, but what the heck.

Does anyone know where I could find an IDE/ATA card for an S5000? It would enable me to install an internal ATA drive. I think AudioMIDI used to stock it. Anyone see one around?
Zzounds used to carry (advertise) them. I bought a lot of my expansion boards from them. I see them (Akai IBID2FC SCSI to IDE Converter) listed in some internet shops, most of them in the UK and Europe (Thomanns).

You can get a decent priced, used SCSI HD from ebay and use that instead. I have a 4gig Seagate inside mine which I bought for $19.00. No problems with it and has been running fine inside the machine for a couple of years now.

Better yet why don't you get the USB interface board and use that to transfer samples in and out the Akai via ak.Sys. You can store the samples in your PC and load it to your S5K via usb. I li'l slower than SCSI but stable and worth it.

Also, check this thread out. Some guy used a generic type of ide/ata adapter to connect an ide hd to his S5K but was unable to install it inside the machine, but used it externally instead.

Good luck on your search.

#1179171 - 07/23/04 04:19 PM Re: Akai S5000 card question
FrankieP Offline
Gold Member

Zeronyne,

Check this out ...

Doesn't say what part/model number though, but according to this Harmony Central Press Release , the card will work with the S5/S6K samplers and the DPS12. Ask the seller if this is indeed an Akai IBID2FC SCSI To IDE Interface Conversion Board.

#1179172 - 07/23/04 04:59 PM Re: Akai S5000 card question
zeronyne Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Chicago/NW Indiana
Frankie! Thanks so much for the info.

I will call Shreve and see.

I already have the USB card, but the transfers are so slow that I'm going to put a 250 gig drive in (if it can take it).

Thanks again.

#1179173 - 07/23/04 05:30 PM Re: Akai S5000 card question
FrankieP Offline
Gold Member

You're welcome!

Let us know how it turns out...
I just might get one for myself! \:\)

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner