Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Things heard from audience members

Dr. Ellwood

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phil W - Following a chat with a young guitarist in the audience during the interval; our guitarist announced: "We've had a request! So here's more mid and more treble on the guitar . . ."
That is classic! :thu:

Years ago while playing several shows on the Redneck Riviera, (Gulf Coast - mostly applied to Alabama) we must have heard FREE BIRD 20 times from the audience. Not on our play list.

We did get a guy (and we let him do it) get on stage and propose to his fiance at Southport Hall in New Orleans

People who know me, or see alot of our gigs know that I rarely play a song the same way twice. Its all by ear and feel. But I've actually had someone come up and say "Why don't you start playing with some feeling". It stung and I haven't forgotten that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/sixtoedkitty/Miaroxsig.gif

I've got my ship, and all her flags are flying. She's all the I've got left, and MUSIC is her name!!

Lightningdan, whoever said that was probably another guitar player that was jealous and just wanted to say somehting hurtfull. He most likely couldn't play with your technical ability and tried to justify in his mind that he had more feel than you do.

Now its always good to hear constructive criticism and it never hurts to evaluate if you are playing expressivly. It is more than just changing the notes around, its all the inflections. But still, I would think an unsolicited audience member coming up and saying that you don't play with feeling is just sour grapes.

Originally posted by Lightningdan:

People who know me, or see alot of our gigs know that I rarely play a song the same way twice. Its all by ear and feel. But I've actually had someone come up and say "Why don't you start playing with some feeling". It stung and I haven't forgotten that.

Forget about it. Just know that guys like that are tucked away safely in their bedrooms while you're out there "hanging it all out".

F**K EM!

I haven't played out much. But, I did play at a med school event, in front of the entire student body, and faculty, and families....there must have been 2 or 3 thousand in the audience. The drummer, rhythum guitarist, and bass player all had played professionally, so we were pretty decent.

Between songs, we kept hearing sort of a loud "hubub", due to most of the audience members speaking excitedly to each other. I think that they couldn't believe that we could actually play!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by mdrs:

I haven't played out much. But, I did play at a med school event, in front of the entire student body, and faculty, and families....there must have been 2 or 3 thousand in the audience. The drummer, rhythum guitarist, and bass player all had played professionally, so we were pretty decent.

Between songs, we kept hearing sort of a loud "hubub", due to most of the audience members speaking excitedly to each other. I think that they couldn't believe that we could actually play!!

My wife's in pharma, and we were at a med conference a couple of months ago and the reception band was actually physicians......and they weren't bad at all.

Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer

Sunbreak Music, LLC

High Resolution Stereo and Surround Mastering

www.sunbreakmusic.com

My band occasionally changes the lyrics of certain songs that we may be less than thrilled about playing.

Example - "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" by The Georgia Satellites

Original lyrics - "Don't hand me no lines, and keep your hands to yourself"

Our version - "Don't hand me no sh!t, and keep your hands off my a$$"

At the end of that particular song, this guy shouts out "How 'mi spose ta dance ta that when ya'll keep changin' the words around?"

Before I thought, I asked back (rather loudly), "You dance to the lyrics???"

The crowd laughed and applauded my response and the guy just sat down. Later he bought me a beer and we laughed about it.

:)

Hmmm....lessee....

"You're a really great bass player...oh, THAT'S the bass player over there? Well, he's good, too!"

"You play like a f&%king god! Gotta go - hockey game's on!"

"You're good, but I'm better....well, I was better....I could'a been better....I know a guy who's better.....hic!....

"You play real good fo' a white boy!"

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by rotosound45:

My band occasionally changes the lyrics of certain songs that we may be less than thrilled about playing.

Example - "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" by The Georgia Satellites

Original lyrics - "Don't hand me no lines, and keep your hands to yourself"

Our version - "Don't hand me no sh!t, and keep your hands off my a$$"

At the end of that particular song, this guy shouts out "How 'mi spose ta dance ta that when ya'll keep changin' the words around?"

Before I thought, I asked back (rather loudly), "You dance to the lyrics???"

The crowd laughed and applauded my response and the guy just sat down. Later he bought me a beer and we laughed about it.

:)

LOL ROTO!!! We do the samething! In fact one time we where doing a club gig and changed some lyrics in a Beatles song, in the audience was my high school English teacher with her sister! after the set she came up to me and said "you where discusting in school and your STILL discussting" LOL I won't say what the lyrics where but here is a live recording of it if you want to hear it yourself (listen close LOL!) http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=372411&songID=2685178

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by ellwood:

LOL ROTO!!! We do the samething! In fact one time we where doing a club gig and changed some lyrics in a Beatles song, in the audience was my high school English teacher with her sister! after the set she came up to me and said "you where discusting in school and your STILL discussting"

English teacher, huh? :)

Originally posted by Philly Steve:

LOL ROTO!!! We do the samething! In fact one time we where doing a club gig and changed some lyrics in a Beatles song, in the audience was my high school English teacher with her sister! after the set she came up to me and said "you where discusting in school and your STILL discussting"

English teacher, huh? :)
:eek::D:thu:

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

Originally posted by Xplorer:

I'm not playing in a band, but I think I've heard someone yell "SLAYER!!" at just about every show I've seen.

Ellwood, do you get that at your shows? LOL! :eek:
Nope...they usually yell "Get off the friggin' stage ya old fart"!... OR make nasty finger flippin gestures at me or line up and give me a group moon job! :eek::rolleyes:

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

I'm not playing in a band, but I think I've heard someone yell "SLAYER!!" at just about every show I've seen.

Ellwood, do you get that at your shows? LOL! :eek:
Nope...they usually yell "Get off the friggin' stage ya old fart"!... OR make nasty finger flippin gestures at me or line up and give me a group moon job! :eek::rolleyes:
All in an evening's work, I guess. LOL.

Probably the same guy. Try going to a different bar... :D

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived