Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peter Frampton Live and In Person

mdrs

I saw Frampton Sunday night at a small local venue. As always (I think I've seen him at least 5 times over the years), he gave a super performance. I've loved his music for many many years. I particularly love his early solo albums. His music is so laid back and cool. I love the way he combines kick -ss guitar playing with a really laid back, mellow type of music.

He's got an CD coming out in Sept., and played a few songs from it. They sounded pretty fresh. He also played a really cool instrumental version of "Black Hole Sun".

So, a friend of mine helps run this concert venue. And he gets me a back stage pass to meet Frampton. We go back stage after the show to a small, nicely furnished room. There were only about 10 people there to meet Peter.

Well, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. It was so obvious that he didn't want to be there. We were each led up to stand next to him, to allow for a photo to be taken of us. There was NO conversation at all. While standing next to him, I tried to engage him in conversation, but he didn't respond in any way! It was like I was talking to myself. It was fairly wierd.

I still love the man and his music. But, it left me with the feeling that if he really didn't want to do a meet and greet, well, I wonder why he WAS doing it??

By the way, he was going next to meet with a bunch of Martin Guitar people who were there. I asked him when the "Frampton Signiture Martin" was coming out. I was actually kidding. He actually replied, "very soon". I think he was serious. So, we'll have to see........

Has anyone ever had an experience like this one?? Any insights out there??

Don

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seeing Peter Frampton = fun. Talking to a brick wall = not. I feel the same way. Why would he agree to do it if he didn't want to? That sucks. When I met Gary Hoey I had a really good time. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

That's too band Doc! I have met lots of famous guitar players and even got to play with them on stage and only once had a bad experience. WEll not BAD but far less than comfortable and that was with Charlie Watts, they said he had the flu and was just trying to get better and didn't want to be there, I guess I understand but still I was dissapointed.

I believe that they are professionals and their job is to play promptly at downbeat and to end on time.

You pay, they play - that's the contract, and that's their gig. after the last note, they have fulfilled their obligation to you. They have absolutely no duty to talk to anyone after the show, and they probably have jet lag or are road weary.

I know, mdrs, that you don't take it to this degree; but it seems like too many people insist that celebrities pay attention to them, like the celebs have a duty to sit down and talk with them - but no such duty existst.

I believe common courtesies are in order, such as the fan saying "you sounded great" - and the celebrity saying "thanks"

I believe that is a fair conversation and should be the extent

of any discourse, unless the celeb wants to take it to the next step like "Do you live in the area", etc . . .

I had a backstage pass for the Allman Brothers, and I got to hang w/ Oteil - but only because my friend has known him for years and years.

I walked up to warren haynes, and said the mule kicks ass and him and that drummer have a great musical rapport.

He agreed, and then looked in another direction. That's when I realized it was time to move on. No problem

These guys talk and talk to tons of people and like their time alone to go off into their own little world or something

The other aspect of a meeting with a famous musician is the fact that we have listened to their music, and perhaps seen them perform live. Somehow, that can leave us "fans" with the feeling that we kind of know the celeb, when in fact we don't know them at all! So, you speak with them as if you know them, and they don't know you at all, and they know that you don't really know them!! I'm sure it can be awkward for the celeb.

This was a organized "meet and greet", and the only people in the room had passes. So, Frampton knew it would occur. That's why I was suprised that he was so, well, not there. I'd have expected him to smile, crack a joke or two, and then get out of there.

I got to shake the man's hand. I'm just hoping that some of the magic transfered..... :D

I still love him!!

Don

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

I can't imagine living a whole life where 24 hours a day you had to on and accomodating of people. Think of it like telemarketers calling at dinner time, usually I will say no thanks and hang up, but if I am in a bad mood I have been known to be a bit irratable. Just because you are talented and make great music doesn't mean that you are a people person with a bubbly personality.

All that being said, it shouldn't be that hard to put on a show and at least act gratefull towards your fans. You wouldn't need to get in a deep or long conversation, but at least be freindly and acknowledge that people enjoy your music. I would think, however that traveling and playing on a tour would be physically and mentally draining. I'm sure he would rather be somewhere else, like sleeping or maybe getting laid hehe. No excuse for being rude, but still, not everyone wants demands placed on their time like a celebrity has.

Our band opened for Chubby Checker one year. After our set, Chubby used our gear (PA and Mics) and I ran the light show for him (Cause I'm such a nice guy).

After the show, I went back stage and asked for his autograph. I figured he'd say "thanks for lending us your gear and thanks for doing the lights for me, for free" and then he'd sign the autograph. Instead, he was a jerk.

I asked him to sign an autograph and he looked off in another direction and said he didn't have time. I said I was the guy that ran the light show for you, remember? He said "FINE!", signed the autograph and then huffed and puffed his way out of the room. I still have the autograph, but I'll tell you, at that point, I really didn't want it anymore.

Well, doing a "small local club" is a pretty come-down for someone like Peter Frampton. He used to fill 25,000 seat venues. Now, he's playing to houses that seat a couple of hundred. How would _you_ feel about that? I wouldn't like it much.

Maybe that's why he wasn't really into it. He probably feels the need to perform. The club owner or his promoter was probably the one who had the idea for a meet and greet. Peter probably feels the need to perform. But to have to do meet and greets afterward may feel like his nose is being rubbed into being a "has-been". He isn't a has-been but only being able to sell small venues probably makes him feel that way.

I think Peter Frampton was and is a great guitarist and musician. But he's human like the rest of us and there could be any number of reasons why he was disconnected after the show.

Born on the Bayou

Archived