Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Do You Escape Your "Hometown"?

Hi, I play in an original band that plays the club scene in a very small city. That means we have about two places to play and while they're great, the rerun feeling has begun to sink in. I've been told by several peers that our band needs to get our show on the road, out of town if we want to make any progress. Of course this idea appeals to me but I'm stumped. Almost all original bands from Saskatoon (that's the city I'm from) manage and promote themselves. The people who do management are strictly coverband-type folks and won't touch us. Now, we aren't outlandish music-wise. Folk-pop with a female singer. It's not like we're a hard sell and we usually go over well (hard to tell though as it's invariably "our crowd" ie. friends and family). To finally get to the point though, how do I go about making contacts out of town? How do I set up a small tour? Should I just start calling random venues and see what happens? Unfortunately, I don't have any other musicians who can really help me in this regard. We're all stuck in the same position. Are we SOL? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance. PS. Sorry about the length of this post, I'm a rambler at heart. Also, I only have access to the internet at work so if I don't reply for a while you'll have to excuse me.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Foot! Is Amigos still open? Do they still have good Mexican Lasagna? [quote]Originally posted by Foot: [b] I've been told by several peers that our band needs to get our show on the road, out of town if we want to make any progress. Of course this idea appeals to me but I'm stumped. Almost all original bands from Saskatoon (that's the city I'm from) manage and promote themselves. The people who do management are strictly coverband-type folks and won't touch us. [/b][/quote]Do have any contacts in Regina? Or, can you ask any of the other original bands for advice? They may need someone to open for them and you can get some valuable experience by working with them. [quote][b] To finally get to the point though, how do I go about making contacts out of town? How do I set up a small tour? Should I just start calling random venues and see what happens? [/b][/quote]You can try it, but that's a hit or miss proposition at best. Try talking to bands from out of town that come through - they may be able to turn you on to venues looking for bands. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

[quote] Is Amigos still open? Do they still have good Mexican Lasagna? [/quote]Damn straight! I've played there more times than I can count. Don't know about the mexican lasagna, I always have a quesadilla with a pint of Honey Brown. I don't know anyone in Regina or elsewhere. As for the other bands, I've found most of the older guys don't really want to share their experience. In any case, I don't get much of an opportunity to talk to them and the bands we have played with or know are in the same situation as my band. i get the feeling from your post though, that I should be a little more aggressive about pressing those in the know about what they know, yes?

I'd say (and what do I know) that a good first step would be to put together a good promo pack. Good black and white 8X10 band glossy (preferably done by a professional photographer...and not in front of a brick wall :D )...demo CD, setlist, brief bio...etc. You all are in the middle of the prairie, aren't ya? Don't know much about Saskatoon, 'cept an old song by Burton Cummings about runnin' back there.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Foot: [b] i get the feeling from your post though, that I should be a little more aggressive about pressing those in the know about what they know, yes?[/b][/quote]Don't be too aggressive about it, you don't want to get labelled a pest. But the only way out is to find the way, so it's in your best interest to keep looking. Ted's suggestion is good. Send off a promo pack to everyone you can think of - you'll receive a lot of non-answers but you may get a couple of call backs. A bar may need someone to fill in if someone cancels, or a manager may find themself needing just what you have to offer. It's a complete crap shoot, but as they about lotteries - you can't win if you don't play. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Here's a suggestion that I know has worked for several other bands - some of them have had MAJOR success with it: Do some searching - web, newspapers, entertainment magazines etc. for other nearby cities where you'd like to play. You're looking for bands who have a similar style to yours but who play in / are based out of other cities. You contact them, open a dialog with them, and send them a promo pack. Definitely check out their music first if at all possible. Then tell them you'd like to open for them sometime and will repay the favor in your town if they'd like to come and visit. They gain fans in your area and you gain fans in theirs. A win-win situation.

Just thought I'd resurrect this post to say thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. Specifically, Tedster: Sort of have the promo kit already covered. I'm a professional graphic designer so with the exception of the glossy photo print (ours is just a high-quality laser print) our kit looks sweet. The demo disc's a little rough with the odd off-note. None of the local people have noticed that though, they just jump on the songwriting which is cool. Thanks for the site reference boosh. I dug what i saw when I could sneak a peak (boss wasn't looking). I'll probably print a few things to read at home. Mr. O'Keefe, I totally dig your idea and so does the rest my crew. We've yet to attempt it but it sounds solid! Thanks again to everyone who replied and if anyone has anything to add, by all means...

Foot, you might also try sending your promo pack to the various City Councils and county fair boards in your area, they're always looking for non-death metal live acts to book at summer festivals, etc. When you do these types of gigs make sure YOU HAVE A PROMINENT BAND SIGN UP FOR ALL TO SEE; I can't count the number of live acts I've heard, liked, and then the leader shouts "Thankew Poughkeepsie we're nks9 gd#orf from Hoboken, hope to see you soon!" Arargh!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Yo Foot... I feel your pain. We struggled with the "getting the hell out of town" thing for a while, too. Here's what I recommend: 1. Go to shows featuring genres similar to yours in your town where bands from other towns are likely to be playing. Hang out and introduce yourself as a musician in a band. Chances are good that the traveling band will need a place to stay. Provide one, and you are almost definitely guaranteed a show in their town. 2. Do a web search for music like yours in nearby towns. See what bands are there and where they are playing. Find out as much as you can about the places... then send a package and follow up with a phone call or e-mail. It's really important to network. Get to know as many people from different areas as possible... this way you'll always have another contact to call if something falls through with one of your shows. Also... you're kinda lucky... a folky, acoustic-based act can play almost anywhere without ruffling feathers... You could play in coffee shops... book stores... college dorms... etc. Don't laugh.. it's a great way to expand your base. Once you hook them in, folks will come to see you everytime you're in their area.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived