Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
To Dave... #1048127 04/23/01 09:44 PM
R
rkipp Offline OP
OP Offline
R
While the number of posts I may have made is not a lot, for the last few months I have avidly read the insightful and informative threads in this forum. It has been most interesting to hear most of you guys' thoughts on gear, music and musicians.

Not being a frequent visitor to any other forums, I did not realize that most of the other ones consist of "flamers" who insist on starting trouble for the fun of it. Now knowing this only increasing my respect for what is usually talked about in here. USUALLY...

While you may want to add a little humor to this forum, I can't see how convincing people to trash companies, music in general, or even individual people is something light-hearted, humorous, and even more, have anything to do with keyboards in particular, and music in general. Forgive me, but I guess having not been to other "expert forums," I thought that this one would retain elements of respect and consistency with the name of the forum itself.

Don't read too much into my disillusionment. An Alesis NanoPiano is a very fine product, and we all know people will do ANYTHING for something free. I just can't see people saying "No offense, but..." and then lambasting something related to music, or certain members here themselves. I'm sure you appreciate a little humor, and maybe I'm reading too much into this, but what you think are some funny threads, I see as clutter in between the usual insightful and interesting commentary on music and keyboards.

KC Island
Re: To Dave... #1048128 04/23/01 09:56 PM
D
dansouth Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
What's your beef? The contest only runs until 30 April. Although some have taken the occasion to spout obscenities to each other - that was to be expected - most of us are debating the same topics as usual, but with a little more reckless abandon. I think Korgs are excellent instruments, but some would beg to differ. Great, let's have a spirited debate. What's wrong with that. The "serious" topics are still here, and we'll go back to well-behaved mode shortly. Perhaps you should take a vacation.

Re: To Dave... #1048129 04/24/01 06:02 AM
Dave Bryce Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
While you may want to add a little humor to this forum, I can't see how convincing people to trash companies, music in general, or even individual people is something light-hearted, humorous, and even more, have anything to do with keyboards in particular, and music in general.

Mr. Kipp -

As you can see, I have ended the contest.

I am sorry that you felt so strongly about what has transpired here. Although I have received one or two other private emails on the subject, most people seemed to be genuinely enjoying themselves. We have had a record number of posts in the last few days, and I have gotten quite a great deal of enjoyment out of this as well. Apparently, judging from the number of posts and the content therein, so have a good many other folks.

Now, having put an end to the contest, I must take a moment to say that I take issue with the tone and substance of your comments above. I did not attempt to convince anyone "to trash companies, music in general, or even individual people". I encouraged what I felt was some spirited, entertaining debate. This community responded quite favorably, and appeared to be having quite a good time, by and large. When it became apparent that some posts and/or topics were proceeding in a manner that was unacceptable, the group quickly controlled itself. Perhaps if you had allowed yourself to get into the spirit of things, you might have had some fun as well. Or, as Dan suggested, you could have just taken a break from the forum for a week.

Forgive me, but I guess having not been to other "expert forums," I thought that this one would retain elements of respect and consistency with the name of the forum itself.

Unless I have missed something somewhere, just because a forum is labelled as being an "expert forum" in no way indicates that any sort of decorum is in any way mandated. Experts are permitted to have fun and express themselves as well. Additionally, it has been my experience that in the process of said expression, musicians and other artistic types can tend to exhibit some rather ribald and tawdry behavior, and many of us truly enjoy doing so.

My sincere apologies that you were offended.

dB

Re: To Dave... #1048130 04/24/01 06:22 AM
soapbox Offline
Original Forumite
MP Hall of Fame Member
Original Forumite
MP Hall of Fame Member
I said it in another thread and I'll say it here again: I think this contest provided good practice for laughing at real flames. IMHO, these aren't life and death subjects; and just maybe, we take it all a little too seriously.

So to quote Khan, "HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA" (etc.)

This message has been edited by soapbox on 04-24-2001 at 12:11 AM

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article
Re: To Dave... #1048131 04/24/01 06:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I with soap on this one. I think this helped loose every body up a little, and although some of the stuff was uncalled for, i laughed my ass off the last few days, and hopefully even though the contest is over people will feel free to put some funnt stuff in a while. I for once started to be a little less anal and take people's comments half-heartedly.

Also hopefully some of the people who chose to come in here for the flamers will continue to post. -Rod

Re: To Dave... #1048132 04/24/01 08:36 AM
D
dansouth Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Yeah, everybody had fun. I found out that Dave and Joe speak French and that, if I really squint, I can understand Sweedish.

Sorry the THOUGHT POLICE had to put a fork in it before the deadline (not YOU, Dave). Such is life. The fun is always over too soon.

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner