Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 39 of 40 < 1 2 ... 37 38 39 40 >
Topic Options
#2771692 - 04/10/16 02:41 PM Re: Introductions? [Re: Lindaru]
keyClicker Offline
Gold Member

Hi there... smile

I have always been lucky to live in places with great music.

Brazil has a great history and so many great influences. Heavy African rhythm appeal, lots of different cultures in one place. That helped this colorful salad that is Brazil. Unfortunately, like I always mention, I have to leave Brazil to discover good Brazilian musicians. It's like y'all get the good ones and leave us with the bad stuff. smile

I always remember how ashamed I was that an American had to introduce me to Tania Maria. I cannot believe I grew up in Brazil and in 17 years no one told me about her. Even Eliane Elias. Most of my Brazilian friends do not know her. It's amazing, I know.

I grew up in south Brazil, touching a little bit of Uruguay and Argentina. They also have great music there. Gaucho tradition, milongas, accordions, guitars, beautiful stuff.

Nice that you mentioned Chicago. That is one great city... I do miss the US.

I'm so lucky that I was able to visit and get to know all these amazing places. smile

KC Island
#2771697 - 04/10/16 02:54 PM Re: Introductions? [Re: keyClicker]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Eliane left Brazil many years ago to come to the US to play jazz so it's not surprising she's not that well known in Brazil. I got to tour with her a bit in the 90s while she was promoting some CDs with more synth stuff she needed a second keyboardist and I was more than happy to lay back and play pads while she dazzled everybody! Deodato produced a tune on one of her CDs and both of them came to my house to show me the music. So much history and I didn't really know it then!

#2771700 - 04/10/16 03:02 PM Re: Introductions? [Re: Reezekeys]
keyClicker Offline
Gold Member

True... smile
Besides Tania Maria and Eliane Elias, some other Brazilian musicians that bring houses down outside Brazil but no so much there are Jorge Ben Jor and Ed Motta. Simply love these guys.

#2793016 - 07/27/16 05:54 AM Re: Introductions? [Re: Dave Bryce]
endorph Offline

Loc: Australia
Hello all,
I've been lurking around here for a while, and signed up so I could search for stuff. Then I thought I might as well say hi, so here I am.

I'm from Australia, if you can't tell from the accent. I'm rapidly approaching my quarter century in this world. Positively ancient and all that. Day job is electronics/software engineering.

I've apparently been playing keyboards since early high school, although I use the word playing in its broadest sense. Also ended up learning saxophone, which gives me two things to spend money on. Mostly play in church and with a concert/marching band, and occasionally do some arranging for the latter. Keeps me from getting bored.

I've enjoyed discovering all sorts of information here, and hopefully I might have something useful to contribute. Although given the calibre of the members here, that may take a while. We shall see.

#2793021 - 07/27/16 06:20 AM Re: Introductions? [Re: endorph]
JWhllr Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Whoo!! More Aussies!

If you're ever down in Hobart give us a bell. There are some nuts keys players down here with some good gigs going on. And great craft beer and whiskeys. Good times all around.

#2793167 - 07/27/16 06:22 PM Re: Introductions? [Re: JWhllr]
endorph Offline

Originally Posted By: JWhllr
Whoo!! More Aussies!

If you're ever down in Hobart give us a bell. There are some nuts keys players down here with some good gigs going on. And great craft beer and whiskeys. Good times all around.

Will do. Been to Tasmania years ago on a family holiday. Gorgeous scenery, and water, which is somewhat lacking here in South Australia. Except when our water mains burst and flood the odd house, which doesn't quite have the same appeal.

#2793190 - 07/27/16 10:42 PM Re: Introductions? [Re: endorph]
Lindaru Offline
Platinum Member

Welcome, Endorph!

I think you have a loverly accent.

smile wave

I am in the Pacific Northwest state of Idaho in the U.S. A state of spuds that borders on states of suds and buds.

cheers

#2793197 - 07/28/16 12:56 AM Re: Introductions? [Re: endorph]
CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted By: endorph
...and water, which is somewhat lacking here in South Australia. Except when our water mains burst and flood the odd house, which doesn't quite have the same appeal.

Spoken like a true South Aussie. Burst water mains are our specialty.

#2793198 - 07/28/16 01:27 AM Re: Introductions? [Re: CowboyNQ]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Welcome Endorph, and is the wind blowing or are youse crow eaters using battery powered devices ATM?

#2793201 - 07/28/16 02:35 AM Re: Introductions? [Re: Markay]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Welcome Endorph and welcome Gus. Endorph, since you've gathered most of the Australian members here on this thread I'll take advantage and mention that my wife and I are visiting New Zealand and finishing out our trip in Sydney on Oct 29. We'll be departing Nov 1.

If there's anyway we can hang for a few hours that would be awesome. I contacted CowboyNQ (Good Day - Paul) a while back and realize you guys inhabit a very large country. But please do let me know if you're near by Sydney where we can grab a beer or whatever.

#2793202 - 07/28/16 02:56 AM Re: Introductions? [Re: Markyboard]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Mark pm me re your time in Sydney.

#2793215 - 07/28/16 05:24 AM Re: Introductions? [Re: Markay]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

PM sent.

#2793294 - 07/28/16 01:04 PM Re: Introductions? [Re: Markyboard]
sherry Offline

Okay. I've been lurking this forum for a few years, posted a number of times. It's way past time I introduce myself. It's probably easier if I just direct you all to my website. My name is Kevin. There are some incredible players on this forum. I get inspired by much of your playing as well as knowledge. Thanks to one and all.

www.kevinkreismusic.com

#2793352 - 07/29/16 01:37 AM Re: Introductions? [Re: Markyboard]
CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted By: Markyboard
I contacted CowboyNQ (Good Day - Paul) a while back and realize you guys inhabit a very large country. But please do let me know if you're near by Sydney where we can grab a beer or whatever.

Hey Mark, thanks for reaching out. I replied to your PM.

#2793503 - 07/29/16 09:01 PM Re: Introductions? [Re: CowboyNQ]
hatricklov Online   content

Loc: CO
Welcome, Kevin! I like your website and your band's. You guys sound really good!

#2799143 - 08/25/16 03:40 AM Re: Introductions? [Re: Dave Bryce]
LWP413 Offline

Loc: South Africa
Really great to be here - humbling!

I'm Luke, I head up a Christian rock band in South Africa, touring around playing different churches and events every weekend. I also play at a restaurant and do some solo gigs, as well as sessioning now and then.

I also lecture at Emendy Sound & Music Technologies; subjects are Contemporary Music Theory, Keyboard Techniques, Music Production and Cubase.

My top 3: Billy Joel, Bob Seger, Queen. Always come back to those 3.

Thanks for the inspiration, looking forward to some good discussions.

Cheers

Yamaha DGX620, Yamaha PSR S710, Neo Instruments Mini Vent

#2799261 - 08/25/16 12:48 PM Re: Introductions? [Re: LWP413]
Lindaru Offline
Platinum Member

Not sure how I missed this thread for so long, but a belated welcome to Kevin and a fresh welcome to Luke!

wave keys rockit

#2799285 - 08/25/16 02:46 PM Re: Introductions? [Re: Lindaru]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Welcome Luke wave

#2799341 - 08/25/16 07:54 PM Re: Introductions? [Re: LWP413]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: LWP413
looking forward to some good discussions.

Cheers
we have plenty of those here. Welcome ! cheers
Trent Reznor

#2855359 - 05/15/17 10:05 AM Re: Introductions? [Re: Dave Bryce]
B3Squeeze Offline

Loc: CT
Hello all,
I have been visiting this forum for years and have finally decided to become a member. I am 65 years old and have been playing music on and off since 1966. I mainly was a Hammond player early on and also play some guitar. I consider myself a weekend warrior more than a pro but, I do have a lot of experience. Oh, and I sing also. Thanks to all of you for the good info that is posted on this forum.

#2855383 - 05/15/17 01:07 PM Re: Introductions? [Re: B3Squeeze]
RudyS Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Welcome at the KC B3squeeze!

#2855489 - 05/15/17 09:00 PM Re: Introductions? [Re: RudyS]
Desert Rat Offline

Loc: Arizona, U.S.
Welcome B3Squeeze. Take your shoes off and set a spell. We can always use another viewpoint on the topics du jour.

Wish I was up your way with the summer coming on. cheers

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Strat, bass & trumpet if I get tired of sitting.

#2894956 - 12/10/17 07:24 AM Re: Introductions? [Re: Desert Rat]
Belldog Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing here. smile I'm a non-musician (but long-time music fanatic with pretty broad tastes) who's decided, at 45 years old, that I'd like to play something keyboard-ish. Not sure that I'll have much to contribute, but I'll certainly have plenty of questions. Looking forward to learning a lot here!

#2894967 - 12/10/17 08:20 AM Re: Introductions? [Re: Belldog]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Welcome, Belldog. We'll get you sorted out. Lots of knowledge here and friendly folk. thu
Trent Reznor

#2895040 - 12/10/17 11:10 PM Re: Introductions? [Re: Belldog]
Lindaru Offline
Platinum Member

Welcome, Belldog! I do not get to play very much or compose as much these days as I used to (started in 1985), but it is still near and dear to my heart.

I use both hardware and software and love both actually. You have come to the right place to ask any questions you might have about anything keys and music!

Welcome!

wave smile

#2909397 - 02/13/18 06:37 PM Re: Introductions? [Re: Lindaru]
MrSquare Offline

Loc: Middle of California
It doesn't look like this thread gets much use, but I'll do the right thing and introduce my self.

I've already broken the ice in the most taboo of ways, asking which keyboard would suit me best. Let me offer a bit more background. I'm still on the uphill side of my 50's and I've played guitar for over 40 years. I've never risen to anything above what I would consider an intermediate player, but dammit I've stuck to it. I have played in church bands and in the 80s I played bass in a nostalgia band doing the bar scene in Missouri and Kansas.

I have often dabbled with keys. In the early 2000s I even produced a CD using a Roland XP80. It was horrendous. It was a CD to calm a colicky baby. It did work on my daughter... I have a few hundred copies left if you'r interested.

Most recently I took piano lessons for about a year. I went way overboard, as is my style, and bought a Steinway L. I sold it when we were planning a move and haven't played much since. I'm looking to right this wrong and once again learn to play piano properly. This time around I'll buy a digital keyboard. The wife may not have much of a sense of humor about me writing the check for another Steinway.

I make music at home. I don't intend to gig anytime soon. I'm just finishing a college degree and I'll need something to keep me busy. I figure that properly learning to play piano and doing some home recording will do just that.

This forum looks like it has a wealth of knowledge and experience on tap. Thank you for having me here.

#2909412 - 02/13/18 09:01 PM Re: Introductions? [Re: MrSquare]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
Glad to have you here Ronn, and always nice to see another Cali person. There is a wealth of knowledge here, and helpful tips no matter what your level..

#2909417 - 02/13/18 09:26 PM Re: Introductions? [Re: zxcvbnm098]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Welcome Mr. Square. Not everyone on this forum gigs, so no worries about that. Agreeing with the previous post, there is a wealth of knowledge here that I believe doesn't exist anywhere else on a regular basis.
Trent Reznor

#2909837 - 02/15/18 08:38 AM Re: Introductions? [Re: davedoerfler]
Toey Offline

Loc: Sheffield, UK
So, having gone from being a lurker to a member I thought I should introduced myself.

After a lifetime of wanting to be able to play the piano I decided 8 years ago that I should take the plunge get a piano and have lessons. As a child I wanted to but never got the opportunity; I had a brief dabble in my early 20's but it took 2nd fiddle to other things in my life and fell away. So having passed the milestone of 50, and no longer burdened with the upbringing of my children, I found an excellent teacher and I have weekly lessons. I'm currently around ABRSM grade 6. I'm not taking any exams but I do pieces from the curriculum as well as other stuff that I fancy or my teacher suggests. I'm currently doing a couple of Bach Inventions (4, just starting & 13, just finishing) and also Joplin's Solace.

I don't have room in my house for an acoustic, so its always been a digital. My first piano was a Yamaha P140 which was perfectly adequate for a beginner. I've since upgraded to a Kawai MP11 and I have too say that I love playing it.

At the same time as starting the piano I also picked up the bass and started playing in a band, mostly classic rock covers, which over the last few years has spluttered between being quite active to completely comatose. Now having an absolute beginner on any instrument might seem like a bit of a handicap but as none of us was much beyond the rudimentary and being as the bass can be as simple as you want to make it, and yes I do keep it simple, I've scraped by. We have improved, a little bit, over the years.

The band members have never pestered me too much about bringing keys into the band but when it came up I always said yes when I'm ready. So a year or so ago I decided that I ought to start getting ready by researching gear and set up, which among other things brought me to this forum. One of the things I was unsure about regarding gear was should I go down the laptop/vst route or hardware. I'm a software engineer by profession so playing around with computers and software isn't exactly alien to me. What I did know was that I don't want to be breaking my weak and feeble body lugging around keyboards that need a fork lift truck to move; the MP11 being a prime example. I also knew that to start with an non-weight action would probably be too much to adjust to. I decided that the hardware route would be the safest just on a 'keep it simple' basis. So my initial line of thought was that a Casio PX-5S would be the way to go: cheap, light, good action, decent sounds, good controller capability. Then Yamaha announced the MX88 and that piqued my interest for a while but then Kurzweil announced the SP6 and that seemed to fit the bill perfectly. I got myself the SP6 just before Xmas and having decided that I'm happy with the action and the sounds/functionality I'm keeping it. The potential of the board is huge so I can see its going to take a while to get to grips with it. I've also bought a used Arturia Keylab 49 with the intention of looking at a laptop/vst configuration with the SP6.

I've have just started taking it to band practise so we can start working out how to fit it in to the current set and and decide what new stuff we'd like to cover. So far they're loving the Kurzweil sounds. I'm sure they'd be even more impressed if it was being played by someone with ability and knowledge but hey I'm having fun.

So hello all. I've learnt many things from the forum already and hope to continue to do so.

#2909852 - 02/15/18 09:21 AM Re: Introductions? [Re: Toey]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Toey
I've learnt many things from the forum already and hope to continue to do so.

Me too. Welcome. wave
Trent Reznor

Page 39 of 40 < 1 2 ... 37 38 39 40 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner