Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

As some of you may know, I had previously threatened to start a thread where we could all listen to and critique each other's music, a la the "Is your music any good - find out here!!" thread in Dr. Anderton's forum - it's by far the most popular thread that I've seen on any of these forums. I didn't feel that it was cool for me to do so until some of my own music was available for downloading, though...

...which it now is:

Updated with new 2006 link to my music web site... ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/confused.gif

I was sure that there'd be a flurry of people posting their music...I'm quite surprised.

I was under the impression that I was behind the curve not having the MP3 thing together for myself... do you guys just not have MP3 files of your stuff? I find it hard to believe that y'all are just shy...

I thought I would post the original directions that Craig put at the top of his thread:

1. If you want reactions to your music, tell us where to find it.

2. If you want to check out some new music and comment on it, go for it.

This could be a lot of fun if we get a decent level of participation. Ever wanted to be an A&R person? Ever needed some good quotes for a promotion? This is the place!

I couldn't have said it better if I had tried.

dB

Originally posted by SteveRB:

I have minidiscs and CD-R's of my recordings but I haven't taken the next step and posted them as MP3's.

If someone could tell me where to get information on MP3's. Books, websites. Also, recommend the software needed (I use windows 98).

MP3.com

They should have everything that you need there...I knew next to nothing about how to do this a week ago - I got the software and all of the instructions that I needed there, along with a pretty interesting education about the process and possibilities as well. Neat stuff.

Go here to get a player/ripper/encoder

This will take you to the new artist sign-up area

dB

Originally posted by Murky Bog Demigod:

http://www.mp3.com/ProfessorTundra

Man! Aggressive tune, dude! The groove and distorted production style kinda reminded me a bit of Squarepusher - specifically the Big Loada disc...

What did you use for drum sounds?

dB

My stuff can be found at www.mp3.com/subspace

First of all, can I just say how cool it is to sit here reading the forum listening to the music from the people who post here...thanks.

Jonathan - lotta tunes! Nice stuff...a lot of the ambient stuff reminds me of the Ligeti compositions that Kubrick used in 2001: A Space Odyssey...if I was ever walking in space, that's exactly the type of music that I would want to be listening to! The little sub-bass burbles that show up in a bunch of the tunes really made my ear keep listening. Eno would be proud of you, sir!

The tunes that most appealed to me were the most groove-oriented ones...All Robots Are Safe and Rectifier (!) from the LFO disc, and Khoruun form the other disc with the long name http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif. Voltaic was my favorite of the more ambient tunes.

dB

Originally posted by jtegan@tiac.net:

Don't hesitate to tell me what you think of my stuff, be critical.

Yo, j...

First off all, let me say I really liked the way your tunes were mixed. Nice space. I also really like your string arrangements, and the synth/patch that you used for them. What is it, pray tell?

Although I really liked Can I Come Over, I would really like to hear a version of it without the drum machine (is it an SR16 on this tune?). I think that it makes it sound a bit like a demo...conversely, I thought that the electronic drums were used on Christine worked very well.

Lookin' at the Moonlight is a great tune! Very nice wah wah guitar, really interesting shakuhachi part, and that watery burbling synth sound is excellent! Love Ballad - deceptive name! Great little groove, nice Hammond sound. Loved the horn arrangement - hated the sound that you picked for them. Sounds like a single brass patch...you might try playing the horn parts one horn at a time with the correct individual patches, if polyphony permits...your voice is very well complemented by the feel of this tune...at least, I assume that's you singing...

Had a problem downloading Mean Mistreater...

Deja vu - I thought that Witchita Lineman suffered from the same fate as the first tune...nice song, well recorded, great strings, but the drum machine just didn't work for me (the SR-16 is back...). Once again, conversely I really liked the electronic drum groove of You Are Always on My mind - and the fat little bass line as well...matter of fact, I think that it's one of the best ones on your collection. In the Heat of the Night didn't really work for me - not my kind of tune.

One other note - the fact that each tune needed to be downloaded made it more difficult to listen to all of your tracks...it would suck for people to get discouraged before they make it to You Are Always On My Mind...I suggest you post them somewhere where they could be streamed....

dB

Okay, I don't really consider myself a keyboard player, though I occasionally post to this forum, and I think about what keyboards I should be buying next about 7 times every day...but check out my song "holding on to you" at my mp3 site below. I played keyboards on it...along with everything else. You'll be hearing an Alesis QS6.1. I've often thought about rerecording with my 1080 sounds but I'm just too lazy.

http://www.mp3.com/jeremey

Dave Bryce - Thanks. I like your stuff too. Your mp3s sound great! What do you use for encoding? BTW, I'm in LA as well. In fact, my girlfriend rides at Foxfield off Potrero in Westlake.

The drum sounds in that song came from a lot of different places. Some are from Rebirth mods, since they're loops I made in Rebirth, but most of them are my own. I use Stomper a little and sample from vinyl, my XD-5, some CDs, and some sample disks. I use SoundForge and WaveLab for editing and processing.

About prefab sample CDs:

I feel least proud when I use drum samples from sample disks, like it's too easy, but my main concern is the quality of the final product. So if that's the sound I'm looking for, that's the sound I use. Sample loops are a different story. I use them very rarely, because they drive me nuts for lack of control. And I've actually heard two bands use the same loop before, it's really obvious and dissappointing. If you're really trying to be creative (as opposed to just producing some commercial music), sample disks should be a starting point, not an ending point. I slice, dice, and process like mad before any prefab loops make it into any of my songs.

Of course, this is just my opinion. It's really just a matter of taste. Ask any drum'n'bass producer who has looped the Amen break...

>>>My inclination is to try and keep it to keyboard oriented stuff in this forum, but I'm open to whatever y'all want to do

----------------------------------------------------------

These are demos from '95(no keys). I am working on re-recording these(with keys). Any suggestions would be welcome.

BTW,these were done on a cassette based 4-track, so I'm looking for keyboard advise more than production.

Thanks,

Randy... aka KHAN

http://www.mp3.com/SurBigger

This message has been edited by HANZ AND FRANZ on 02-27-2001 at 11:15 PM

David,

Excuse me if I can only do a song at a time.

Evil Genius:

It sounds excellent, very full. Lots of drama in the composition. The electronic gestures are really done well. Good compositional awareness going on, with instruments answering each other and textures forming structure.

I liked listening to the tune loud, except the synth guitar seemed a little too up front in the mix and hurt my ears at the level that I enjoyed hearing everything else at. I turned the volume down and listened to that section again and the lead guitar synth sounded a littled too up front for my taste again.

I enjoyed the Hendrix insinuations and the 'out' melodic lines. I think the guitar like ostinato at the end would've sounded better with the filter a little less open or with an actual guitar. My criticims are more quibbles than misgivings. Really well done.

Joe

Comments on your tunes, as requested. I'll start with David, since he was first up.

You are one awesome synth player. Humbled......

The most impressive:

Evil Genius... cool sounds all around. Beautiful synth washes. I like the "eastern" vibe, complete with drones, modes and lot of higher pitched drums.

My favorite song:

Balthazar, for the evocativeness of the whole thing. At 25 seconds you have a (sorry for the comparisons) Tomitaesque synth vocalization. How do you do it? What do you do it with? At 2.05 you have a similarly evocative synth voice. Can you tell me more about this synth? BTW, I wouldn't have figured Pink Floyd, unless you had told me. But now I recognize the Dave Gilmour vibe at 3.00. Cool.

My favorite non-song:

Ciao Cacao. This one has been played the most of all of your tunes. Ok, so there is a story behind this jam. I'd like to hear the story. If you ever release a cd of jams, I'll buy them.

Further comments. I think (I can relate to his) you write best when improvising. I would love to hear a cd of your improvisations on familiar themes, if you ever think of releasing something like that. Very few people on this planet can do what you do. I hope you'll capture some of your live work. Expecially since real-music played by real-people in real-time is on a rebound.

One of these day's I'll put something up for you to shoot at.

Cheers,

Jerry

This message has been edited by Tusker on 02-27-2001 at 06:26 PM

:

At 25 seconds you have a (sorry for the comparisons) Tomitaesque synth vocalization. How do you do it? What do you do it with?

It's a Jupiter-8. The JP8 has the ability to map both the pitch and the filter to the pitch wheel simultaneously, each with it's own amount. That's why the fall offs and bend-ins sound so real.

At 2.05 you have a similarly evocative synth voice. Can you tell me more about this synth?

It's two synths - I love to double synths together. I used the Prophet VS layered on top of a QS7.1 playing a program called Quixotie from the Alesis Vintage Synths QCard. That program is made up of made up of a 303 sample, a highpass wave that I'm not sure what synth it came from, and a clav type sample from Emerson's GX1.

Ciao Cacao. Ok, so there is a story behind this jam. I'd like to hear the story.

The short version - I took Andromeda #1 to Brazil for a trade show last August. One of the people who I went to visit had a band that played jam sessions at a club in Sao Paolo. He liked my playing, and so he invited me to come, bring Andromeda and sit in.

I believe that it is the first live recording featuring an Andromeda. The track was recorded with two GT Electronics AM62 mics pointed 90 degrees from each other, each one pointed 45 degrees away from center of the stage (I think that's called a Blumlein configuration, isn't it?), and ART stereo mic pre and a Masterlink. No other mics or recording techniques were used.

We actually recorded two full CDs worth of music that night...man, that was fun. Talk about the universal language. I had never met these guys, nor do I speak Portuguese...and they spoke very little english. And yet, we managed to play some pretty funky tunes. I am really glad to hear that this translates to someone listening.

Thanks for taking the time to listen, Jerry. I will be most psyched to hear some of your material!

dB

AAAAAAARRGGGGGGG!!!! I'm jealus as hell!! All of em sound good. You know, up until I started hangin here I was a quite happy blues guitar player, content with my lot. But now thanks to you and a friend of mine I'm wanting to learn synth/piano/drums etc.... and learn composition as well. Not to mention I'm really starting to see the posibbilities with sampling and sequencing and synthisis. AAAAAAKKKKKKKK. It's mind boggling http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif . Where the heck do I start???????????????????????????????????????

Okay, I'm feeling brave today, so I'm going to throw my little tune into the ring here.

http://www.mp3.com/JeffKlopmeyer

PLEASE read my disclaimer before you listen:

1. The guy who did vocals on this track is a lyricist/engineer/producer who is a great guy and a good friend. Note that I did not add the word "singer" to this description. He's got some issues with pitch and tonality, as you'll soon see.

2. What I did: wrote all the music (except the vocal melody), arranged the piece, co-engineered, co-produced, and played all instruments (ac. guitar, el. guitar, bass, piano) and did drum sequencing. Lyrics, vocals and most of the engeering/production work is my friend Mike.

3. The tune is about four years old and it's already starting to sound dated. I would change the arrangement if I were to re-record it today.

4. I do NOT like the drum sounds for the most part...the cheesy splash cymbal is probably the worst, followed closely by the too-up-front snare that is completely lacking in dynamics. This song screams for real drums, or at least a real performance of triggered drums. And the electric guitar tone is pretty thin...I think we had to DI through a Boss SE-70, though I greatly prefer miking my cabinet to get "my" sound.

Okay, done making excuses. Check it out if you want.

- Jeff

A very old recording of mine. '93 or so.

Used instruments:

Minimoog, Korg Wavestation A/D, Roland Jupiter 6, Roland System 100, Oberheim OB-1, Alesis Quadrasynth (Mellotron), Dynacord ADD-Two drumsampler.

The vocoder is a Roland SVC-350, backing vocals Tanja, computer voice Amiga 1200 computer, communicator bleeb by Startrek Combadge.

I used one sampled drumloop, all other drum sounds were made on the System 100 and sampled into the ADD-Two.

------------------

-- Pim --

www.dancewave.nl

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Originally posted by arsenius@hotmail.com:

I think I can present U my best (So far) track "Sirius"...

Nice tune - the opening tone and riff reminded me of Pete Towshend's "You Better You Bet" a little bit.

I liked the way the tune evolved, and I really liked the sounds that you chose. My particular favorite was that warbly synth line at 1:49 where the LFO is synced to the tempo of the tune.

I also really liked the production - very open...it was quite easy to hear all of the aspects of all of the sounds that you used. Nothing really stepped on anything else.

What instruments did you use?

dB

Originally posted by MiDi MiKe:

You've gotta hear this!!! This is crooning at its best (in the old style). This stuff is film track material!!!! Especially the "Wining and Dining" and "Forever Shining"

Wow! Dig it! Nice piano playing, sir! You are quite right - these tunes would fit nicely in the right film...Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks sort of thing, yes?

Wining and Dining - no Sinatra influence there... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif Loved the piano and the muted trumpet. It's nice to know that there are still people playing this sort of stuff.

Forever Shining - beautiful song. Great arrangement. The vocals are quite evocative and expressive. The sax solo is the perfect touch....but the little oboe parts really make it work for me.

Is that all you?

dB

Dave, thanks for Your words and (more importatnt) the time that You spent listening "Sirius"...

Well, Actualy I used pretty small amount of instruments on this track -

E-mu e64 sampler + Vintage Keys+(that arpeggios with opening and closing filters) and Yamaha TX81Z...

That's it...

They went into Mackie 1604 and the FX were Digitech Studio Quad and ART FXR-Elite...

The mix is not bad, but being a sound engineer for more than 6 years, I understand that now I could mix it much better - The other problem was that EQ on those small Mackie boards is far from perfect... And the biggest problem was that I didn't have a decent pair of monitors - I had to mix it, using a pair of cheap Sony multimedia speakers... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Cheers,

Arseny

------------------

http://www.mp3.com/arseny

Jeff-

I listened to The Little Things and I liked the song. The hi-hat(shaker) and cymbal sounds are too thin and/or too far in the background. The kick and snare were well mixed but need a little bit more variation. I think the acoustic guitar was well done. I like how you lead into the guitar solo.

posted by Jonathan Hughes:

It's mainly electronic. there's a lot of ambient (some Eno-like stuff), some downtempo, and some slightly dancier stuff (although it's all fairly slow).

Jonathan,

I was just surfing the posts and came upon your extensive MP3s. I must say, VERY IMPRESSIVE. Listening to 'All Robots Are Safe' right now (and have been floored by the others I've heard!) Thanks for posting these wonderful compositions--an inspiration for me as I embark on acquiring my first synth.