Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1039794 - 03/12/06 10:15 PM Confusion over mastered CD in ISO format
gaotu Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
So, after reading many articles and 2 books on the topic of mastering, no where did I come across the fact that a CD manufacturing plant requires an ISO formatted CD as a master for burning from. I own a "budget" studio and most of my clients burn their own discs. For the first time, one of my discs was being burned by a real pressing plant. I felt like quite a dumbass when they told me they couldn't use what I had sent them: a regular CD of wav files. UGH!!!

So I bought Nero 7 Ultra, but no where online can I find instructions on how to burn an ISO audio disc and no where can I find what options I'm suppose to select to create an ISO audio disc.

What should I select when creating my ISO audio masters when in Nero?

(also - why the hell wasn't this mentioned in any book or article I've read?)

#1039795 - 03/13/06 04:44 PM Re: Confusion over mastered CD in ISO format
DangerousDave86 Offline

You just need to burn an 'audio cd' from Nero. ISO is not a format. ISO means "International Organization for Standardization" Audio CDs are made to an ISO standard (cant recall which, theres an extension to it also). I've never done it, but I assume, you just need to burn CD in Nero as an Audio CD and thats that. You may need to alter some of the options to make it compatible, but I am not sure what. Hope this helps.

#1039796 - 03/13/06 05:20 PM Re: Confusion over mastered CD in ISO format
Kentonkd Offline

Loc: USA
iSO is an image file that can consist of many kinds of files including cda ( cd track files ). You can use Nero to access the image file ( bin, cue, iso )
and burn it to a blank cd-r.

#1039797 - 03/13/06 05:28 PM Re: Confusion over mastered CD in ISO format
Kentonkd Offline

Loc: USA
the option in Nero would be to create an audio cd if your intention is to send an iso disk to someone. That would be audio cd or cda tracks not wav files.It probably wasn't mentioned because burning audio cd's for playback in cd players is regularly done.
http://kenmyers.topcities.com

#1039798 - 03/13/06 05:38 PM Re: Confusion over mastered CD in ISO format
gaotu Offline

I'm still a bit confused by your replies. Here's the deal, I sent them a typical audio CD of wav files and it was unacceptable. I then downloaded some program to make an ISO, but that too was unacceptable as it was in some sort of data format that disallowed it to be played in a standard CD player (although it would of worded in a computer fine).

Has anyone made an ISO audio CD in Nero 7?

#1039799 - 03/13/06 07:38 PM Re: Confusion over mastered CD in ISO format
DangerousDave86 Offline

I tried to explain that there is no such thing as an ISO cd so to speak. ISO is an organisation. and AN ISO is a computer file representation of a CD. All you need to do is create an audio CD in Nero, it is called, Audio CD and is as simple as dragging and dropping, any wav, mp3, wma into the Nero window. This will create a CD with CDAs on, CD AUDIO FILES. Which can be read by CD players and PCs.
What you have likely done previously is made a data CD of WAVs (not audio CD) and again, another data CD that contained an ISO file, rather than an Audio CD that meets the specifications of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).

If this still doesn't clarify matters, please use Neros built in help function - its what its there for, and should hopefully guide you, and give you a better understanding of things.

#1039800 - 03/13/06 09:13 PM Re: Confusion over mastered CD in ISO format
gaotu Offline

All I know is that when I burned my CD in Nero just as you described, it was not accepted by the plant because it was not an ISO Image. I then burned an ISO disc, but it was in data format, not audio format.

Actually, Nero 7 Ultra doesn't have a built in help feature. It forces you to their website help section which is totally crap and answers virtually no questions.

#1039801 - 03/14/06 09:38 AM Re: Confusion over mastered CD in ISO format
DangerousDave86 Offline

"a regular CD of wav files" as you described first, is not the same as what I am describing. Do any of your burns work in a regular CD player? If not, you haven't done what I have suggested. If it does.. then perhaps the production place wants a data ISO on a CD.. Which I find odd, (this is where its gonna get confusing) but I can actually see why they'd want it like that (depending on their software and time). In that case, you want to create an audio CD, burn it to a Neros built in virtual cd drive, into an ISO, then burn that ISO file onto a CD. Not burn the ISO, which would mean create an image from the file, but actually add the file to a CD.

If you could gaotu, could you get a clearer definition of the type of CD this place wants, from them.

#1039802 - 03/14/06 09:23 PM Re: Confusion over mastered CD in ISO format
gaotu Offline

Dangerous, are you saying that I should burn in in a virtual CD drive AS an ISO, then burn that image onto a CD?

My CDs always play fine in CD players, but apparently, just your typical wav file CD is not acceptable. When I created an ISO image and put it on CD, I apparently chose wrong and ended up creating an ISO image that was a date image rather than an audio image. They were able to pull that off and then turn it into the proper audio ISO image, but otherwise, it would of only played in a computer.

All I know is that they want an ISO master and apparently there are different ISO master types and an audio type is what they want.

#1039803 - 03/15/06 03:38 PM Re: Confusion over mastered CD in ISO format
DangerousDave86 Offline

If you are just adding WAVs to a CD, then all that will be on there will be WAVs, if you add WAVs to an Audio CD then it will create an audio CD. I can't see where you went wrong really.

By the information you've given in the last post. I think you made an put an ISO onto CD that was a data ISO, not an audio ISO. To make an Audio ISO, burn a CD how you would for a CD player, to the virtual drive (in ISO format). Then add that file to a data CD.
Thats all I can really work out from this thread though.

#1039804 - 03/15/06 09:51 PM Re: Confusion over mastered CD in ISO format
gaotu Offline

I'm not sure where the confusion is.

I made two CDs.

One was a CD containing wavs, but apparently not in ISO format.

The second was in ISO format, but was a data ISO.

Nonetheless, my Nero Ultra 7 isn't even working. So this is probably a moot conversation. It's totally buggy, and their support for this is awful. I'm regretting my purchase. Does anyone have version 6 that I could get - after all I already bought 7 and it's not working. I've heard that 6 is more stable and functional.