Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1039772 - 03/04/06 09:11 AM Pitch Shifter(?)
Maxone Offline

Loc: Manhattan, NewYork
Hi guys.
My name is Gabriel, I'm a Piano/Keyboard player.
I'm more of a live player than a studio wizard.
I've got into computers about 2 years ago, and that's
only because MIDI sequenceing is so much quicker when it's done on computers.
I own a Titanium PowerBook 1MHz, 1GB ram and Digital Performer version 4.6.1 and I'm looking
for something...I guess a pitch shifter(?)... that I can use on
an audio file so I can transpose it from a key to another.
I mean a finished stereo audio file, like a song from a CD. I'm not looking for a realTime auto pitch corection plug-in. It's also got to be something professional, no artifacts, no slowing down or speeding up...
Will you please tell me what my options are??? I thing I'd prefer a stand alone program, but a plug-in (for DP) would also do.

Thank You very Much

#1039773 - 03/04/06 09:28 AM Re: Pitch Shifter(?)
Farview Offline

Loc: Chicago-ish
I don't know of any real time pitch shifters that don't have any artifacts. Off-line pitch shifters even get goofy if you try to transpose any more than a step in either direction. Pitching stuff lower seems to work better than pitching it higher.

#1039774 - 03/04/06 12:00 PM Re: Pitch Shifter(?)
paully Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Farview pretty much nailed it. I've never seen one either. If you're trying to shift someone else's CD from say C to F, you're pretty much SOL. If it's your own stuff, you have the option of using midi pitch transpose at the tracking level to key your sounds, then flying transposed audio back to an audio track. If you find something, post it up. I'm sure the 'Karaoke maestros' would love to have it.

Good luck, Paul

#1039775 - 03/04/06 03:45 PM Re: Pitch Shifter(?)
Maxone Offline

Loc: Manhattan, NewYork
Thank you very much guys for your reply.
Still, what would be the best pitch shifter for Mac out there?
I'm definattely not looking to transpose more the 1, maybe 2
halfSteps.
Please help me, because, except sequencing, I've never done anything else on a computer, and I'm really "afraid" of buying
something it's not what I want. And ofcourse, being a software,
after you open it, there is no chance to send it back.

Thank you again.

#1039776 - 03/04/06 08:05 PM Re: Pitch Shifter(?)
paully Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Hey Maxone, and welcome aboard.

A full step is probably do-able, but artifacts are a way of life with these things, and you'll probably hear slight tonal differences. Finding 'just' a pitch shifter might be a problem. These plugs are usually part of a package of effects and tools. I've always had (reasonably) good luck with TC Helicon units, and their software has gotten some good reviews. Take a look at their voice modeler. They might allow a limited time free download. I have the hardware unit, and it is pretty cool at fixing pitch. Momentary gliches can usually be edited. A whole track? Well...

TC modeler software:
http://www.tc-helicon.tc/Default.asp?Id=2238

Take a look at Sweetwaters offerings:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category/c701

You also could try a Google of "pitch shifters software".

Other than that, mabee someone else can offer help. You might re-post on the Keyboard Forum. They get a lot more traffic than this one.

Best, Paul

#1039777 - 03/06/06 12:26 PM Re: Pitch Shifter(?)
philbo_Tangent Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa
If you work with mostly midi, why not look into programs that allow you to transpose the midi data?
Just a thought...

#1039778 - 03/09/06 05:32 PM Re: Pitch Shifter(?)
Farview Offline

Loc: Chicago-ish
Doesn't Digital Performer come with a pitch shifter/transposer? Nuendo and Cubase do, so I figured it was a pretty standard thing. It will be an offline process, not a plugin. Check it out, you might already have what you need.