Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1039725 - 02/13/06 06:03 AM I just got my ass kicked by a Boss BR-1200
captaintrips Offline

Greetings,

I am a newbie here (commence hazing).

I thought I would venture a pregunta in the direction of this forum about a challenge I am having with my Boss BR-1200. If you, kind sir, or anyone else can proffer up any advice, please do so, I will be eternally gratefull and all that sentimental stuff...seriously!

Ok, here's the deal.

I have recorded 8 tracks. Now, I am ready to master; all the levels are set and I am happy with the way I panned everything, eq'd it, and set the right level of chorus and delays on each track.

here is the rub: My BR-1200 is refusing to bounce to tracks 11/12. I follow all of the directions to a tee and I cannot fathom what I am doing incorrectly.

I fear I may have inadvertently pressed a wrong button or two and changed a setting in the mastering toolkit that is now effing everything up.

I thank you all in advance.

Regards,

El Capitan

#1039726 - 02/13/06 10:55 AM Re: I just got my ass kicked by a Boss BR-1200
paully Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Hey Capper,

Preguntas accepted! \:D

I'm not familiar with the box, and will speak generally.

1) If you think you've messed something up internally, see if the unit has a factory default reset. System-wise, that'll get you back to square one.

2) Are there any error messages. Check to see if you really do have enough disk space left.

3) What you say implies that tracks are assigned directly to ch. 1,2.. and not to a L/R(stereo) mix buss. If the Boss has one, that buss is what usually gets routed to stereo ch.s 11,12, not the individual tracks. Check there. You may have to re-route your tracks.

4) At the very worst, you could bounce to a CD. They're cheap. Then bounce that back to 12-13 for internal 'fussing'.

Sorry I couldn't offer more help. When all else fails(including a little forced manual reading), an e-mail to the manufacturer can sometimes help. These things can be frustrating.

Good luck, Paul

#1039727 - 02/13/06 02:26 PM Re: I just got my ass kicked by a Boss BR-1200
captaintrips Offline

Hey Paul,

Greetings and THANK YOU for your input.
I thank you in advance for your patience, cuz this stuff tends to send my brain into tailspins.

1)If I do a factory default reset, will this cause me to lose the song I composed?

2)There are no error messages, I just got the unit and it is telling me I've got over 60 min of space left on the Hard Drive.

3)I am slightly confused as to how it sounds to you that the tracks are assigned directly to Ch.1/2 What does this mean?! Oy veh. That is something else I don't understand, why the tracks get grouped together like that. Another piece of info is that when I hit the track bounce button it says the following readout:

bounce to tracks: 11/12 -6 Now, the 11/12 part is groovy, but the digit to the right keeps changing! I assumed it meant the number of tracks that I'm mixing but I have no clue. Also, when I hit the mastering toolkit button, it pops up two adjustable mini-screens asking for V track info. Eh?

4)I love the idea of bouncing to a cd, though I'm not sure how I would then bounce back to 11/12?

Thanks again for your continued assistance. And believe me, I've been studying this manual for four days now (and man are there a lot of typos!)

best,

Jeff

#1039728 - 02/14/06 11:05 AM Re: I just got my ass kicked by a Boss BR-1200
paully Offline
Platinum Member

Hey Capper,

I tried to find some instructions at the Boss website. Nothing available for this unit as a download(manual or tech sheet), so I can't help with the actual instructions. Hopefully someone else will pick up on this.

1)If I do a factory default reset, will this cause me to lose the song I composed?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
First you have to save the tracks to the HD. I assume you've done that. That's your 'permanent storage'. System resets are done internally, from a seperate Boss disc, or possibly a web download. The songs should not be erased from the HD, but may disappear from the units P-ROM. If saved, simply download the tracks from the HD.. back to P-ROM. It's pretty hard to screw up an operating system, so get more familiar with the book. If concerned about HD track loss, check with Boss first at: http://www.bossus.com

2)There are no error messages, I just got the unit and it is telling me I've got over 60 min of space left on the Hard Drive.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
That's not the problem

3)I am slightly confused as to how it sounds to you that the tracks are assigned directly to Ch.1/2..
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
My bad!! I meant 11, 12.. not 1, 2. This is how it's done on a regular mixing board. The Boss shouldn't be that much trouble, but you never know. \:\(

Another piece of info is that when I hit the track bounce button it says the following readout:
bounce to tracks: 11/12 -6 Now, the 11/12 part is groovy, but the digit to the right keeps changing!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
My guess would be that the changing number indicates which tracks you have actually recorded to. If you have 6 tracks with data, the number should change from 1 to 6. Is that right? Then each track should be 'muted' if you don't want it copied(?). Each track may also have to be somehow energized in order to be copied. This is just a guess. Beyond that, I don't know if the unit can copy all tracks at one time, or if they must be copied individually. Read up.

4)I love the idea of bouncing to a cd, though I'm not sure how I would then bounce back to 11/12?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I can't believe they wouldn't include this type of function. All tracks would go directly to a CD stereo mix, which should be transportable back to the recorder in digital(not analog) form to ch. 11, 12. There should be a 'source material' setting for input somewhere. Again, the manual. I have an older Fostex 24 track HD recorder, and I dread when I have to do something like this. Hours of reading and trial/error for a 3 minute operation.

Wish I could help more. Paul

#1039729 - 02/16/06 03:27 AM Re: I just got my ass kicked by a Boss BR-1200
jonboy Offline

Loc: F. Lauderdale, Fl.
captain,
i've got a br-1180 and i'm having trouble understanding exactly what you're describing, i figure the machines work similarly but maybe not.
once i'm done tracking i hit the 'bounce' button and it's ready to bounce to 9/10, or in your case, 11/12... may i suggest you check yahoo for a user group, i know there's one for the 1180, the guys on there no doubt can help you...
jboy

#1039730 - 02/16/06 09:50 AM Re: I just got my ass kicked by a Boss BR-1200
paully Offline
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jonboy:
... may i suggest you check yahoo for a user group, i know there's one for the 1180, the guys on there no doubt can help you...
jboy
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Paul