Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1039676 - 01/13/06 06:03 AM help...can't hear midi playback
arvind Offline

I've got a korg m1 hooked up to my pc via midi cable (one in, one out). Using cakewalk music creator 2.

When i play the m1, the cakewalk shows the wave forms, also the red light in the icon flashes.
But when i playback, there's no sound from m1.
( The local is: on).

When i play the cakewalk demo tracks, the m1 plays. Also when i use the piano view and place notes, and then hit play, again i get the sound from m1.

The input and output devices: MPU-401 (for both)
In the track i got: In : Midi omni Out:MPU-401
Channel:1

Can someone tell me what's wrong with this set up?
How come i can hear demo playback, but not my own recording?
Thanks.

#1039677 - 01/13/06 09:44 AM Re: help...can't hear midi playback
Farview Offline

Loc: Chicago-ish
It sounds like you are recording audio instead of midi.

#1039678 - 01/14/06 07:29 AM Re: help...can't hear midi playback
arvind Offline

What makes you say that?

#1039679 - 01/14/06 09:25 AM Re: help...can't hear midi playback
paully Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Farview:
It sounds like you are recording audio instead of midi.
>>>>>>>>>>
I'd agree. When recording midi events, you won't see "waveforms", you'll see notes and midi events. Waveforms only show when recording audio tracks.

Paul

#1039680 - 01/17/06 10:10 AM Re: help...can't hear midi playback
Farview Offline

Loc: Chicago-ish
I don't use Sonar, but in Nuendo, I have to create a midi track and set it up to listen to the midi input that the keyboard is hooked to. Then when the keyboard is played, it records the midi events.
It seems like you have created an audio track and are recording the sound of the keyboard instead of the midi data. There is nothing wrong with that, but in order to listen to it, you need to listen to your computer, not your keyboard.

#1039681 - 01/29/06 05:11 AM Re: help...can't hear midi playback
arvind Offline

Hi and thanks to you all for replying.

Okay, my mistake, i should not have used the word 'waveforms'. It's more like bars on a blue background.

But i'm not recording audio, because:
a) In recorde on the midi tracks file which will not record audio.

b) My pc is connected to the korg via a midi cable, which again does not transmit audio

C) A demo track in the cakewalk plays thru my korg. And i know this is a midi track coz it doesn't play thru the comp speakers, and only plays thru the korg's own voices.

So basically what i think is happenning is the pc is sending midi data to the korg but is not receiving it. (So even the recording is not really happenning)

seems to suggest that the midi out of the korg is malfunctioning. Now how does one check that?

And since the midi won't work, i guess i will now have to do an audio connection and record audio.

Thanks for your help, guys. Always appreciate any other suggestions.

#1039682 - 01/29/06 09:44 AM Re: help...can't hear midi playback
paully Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Northern New Jersey
When recording, midi is like an old hooker. It doesn't care where the events are coming from or
from where(track/bank numbers). Playback is a different story. If you know that you have recorded events into a proper midi track, the first thing you might do is open the page where you change track or instrument characteristics in the software, then assign the track send to 'omni'. If soft-cabling is involved to connect midi out to a hardware piece, cable-connect your keyboard now. Then go to your keyboard and set 'midi-receive' to 'omni on'. Unless the instrument setup requires something else(I'm not a Cakewalk user), you should hear something. Try it an let us know what happens. I'm guessing that the demo was setup to 'omni-send'. Regarding the sound card, take a look here:

http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/mpu.htm

Paul

#1039683 - 01/29/06 11:41 AM Re: help...can't hear midi playback
arvind Offline

Thanks for the reply, Paully.

Looks like i'm not able to record on the midi track, even though the track shows some graphics corresponding to the points of recording start and stop.

In fact i just did a midi monitor check. The midi out of my korg registered strange data.
The midi in (which is playing back normally) registered regular midi data in the monitor.

So i think the culprit is either the midi'out' of my korg, or the 'in' part of the midi cable.

The cakewalk software and the korg are otherwise fairly simple and straightforward. There is no 'midi receive' in the korg M1. It can receive and send midi data in all modes. Even the midi demo of cakewalk played in all modes of the korg.

Guess there's still some struggle ahead.

Thanks all the same.

#1039684 - 01/29/06 01:13 PM Re: help...can't hear midi playback
philbo_Tangent Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa
Diagnosing:
1) If you can play back midi files that you load, and playing them back makes the Korg generate sound, then the midi playback path is working.

2) If Sonar creates a clip in your midi track, then midi was received from the Korg, and was recorded by Sonar into your track. (Sonar will not create a clip when recording unless at least one midi event is received).

So, the problem may be in your midi track settings.

Things to try:
1) See what midi channel the Korg is sending data on. (It will be in the range 1 to 16)
2) Look at the midi track settings. Make sure that the midi in is set to OMNI. This will make it accept data on any or all 16 midi channels.

3) Make sure the track output is set to NONE or to the same channel (1-16) the Korg is sending.

NONE means all midi data will be sent out on the same channel it was received on.

A number (1-16) will send all the midi data from that track to a single midi channel during playback.

4) Make sure none of the other tracks have the green SOLO light lit.

5) Make sure your midi track does not have the MUTE button lit.

6) Make sure to select the midi track with the cursor before you record. Sonar may not echo the midi through the PC when recording if the track is not selected.

7) If you are using midi monitor, make sure you are sending the midi data where it needs to go:

Record Path:
- Midi Monitor IN: Should route data from your hardware midi port (usually labelled something like MPU-401) and send the data to midi virtual port NT1.
- Sonar should be set to use NT1 for input (under the Sonar midi devices selection window).

Playback Path:
- Sonar should be set to use NT2 for output (under the Sonar midi devices selection window).
- Midi Monitor OUT should be set to route data from midi port NT2 to your hardware midi port.

I'm not familiar with your Korg model. Is it multitimbral? (can it play back using multiple midi channels at the same time?)
Does it need to be set to REMOTE mode (instead of LOCAL) to play back midi? (some older keyboards do this).

If you are still stuck, send me a personal message & we'll work it out.