Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1039668 - 01/11/06 01:23 PM "double compression"...?
D_dup3 Offline

Loc: Tucson,AZ,UNITED STATES
Reading some commentary by Geoff Emerick (asst. to George Martin) I've come across the term "double compression", applied to recording bass.
Is this a common term that I've just never heard before?
I suspect it means recording the track w/compression & then re-recording that track w/ compression again...but might it mean something else ?
Thanks for any responses.

#1039669 - 02/04/06 05:17 PM Re: "double compression"...?
TBush Offline

Loc: Syracuse,IN,UNITED STATES
It probably refers to running the signal through 2 compressors simultaneously- one set for more of a gentle app and the other set more aggressively. Doing this prevents just one of the units from having to do all the work, which can introduce saturation. I like doing it on vocals that need to sit nicely in a maelstrom of big guitars.

#1039670 - 02/05/06 12:55 PM Re: "double compression"...?
paully Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by TBush:
...Doing this prevents just one of the units from having to do all the work, which can introduce saturation...
>>>>>>>>>>

and 'pumping'. The tradeoff is possible additional noise from the second unit in the signal path. Normally not a problem if you're careful.

Paul

#1039671 - 02/15/06 10:55 PM Re: "double compression"...?
gaotu Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
I almost always do this with vocals. Compressing in the signal path and then again in my DAW. Compressing in the signal path allows me to get a signal that's a bit "hotter" than if I didn't, then I compress to taste (program material) in the DAW.

#1039672 - 02/19/06 11:36 PM Re: "double compression"...?
patrox247 Offline

Loc: Orange County California
Are you sure he wasn't reffering to parallel compresion?