Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you SHOW 'em or STOW 'em?

michael saulnier

If you have more than a couple guitars. Do you keep them out on stands or something most of the time, or do you keep them in their cases?

I prefer to have most of my guitars out so I can grab one anytime...

How 'bout you?

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
errr i keep mine in cases.. its kinda crappy weather where i live and i dont want constsnt heat /cold affected my guits. plus i hate dusting guits and pretty fanatical about new and clean strings. i keep an accoustic out for banging on but keep all my babies in there cases..
southern rock lives

I keep at least two out at all times, usualy my Strat and my Del Rey. The Tele has broken pots, I'm not too wild over the Danelectro, my Ovation is acoustic (strings are harder to fret), and I don't have a bass amp for my P-bass.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

They're all out, either hanging or on stands. I find that if some are out and some in their cases, the ones in the cases never get played.

In an effort to improve the responsiveness of e-mail for everyone, the e-mail servers will be out of service.

We are hopeful that this change will improve the performance of e-mail.

I too have the kid problem but worse I have a cat who eats wires. I have to block out my practice room with room screens. I thought I would get the nice fancy bamboo ones, in the first week my dog put his nose through the lower half! So everyday I leave this out with the hope my cat doesn't start snipping. I mostly pack mine away but it is more beneficial to practice to leave them out

I'm at the point that I have quite a few... over 10, and when I have them all out... it's cool to see them and just grab one and play. I find I do sometimes play favorites... and one could go for a week or two with no action... but then, I pick it up... and wham, I remember why I got THAT one in the first place.

I do try to keep them all in tune, and every few days I pick one out for attention... polishing, strings if it needs it...

The only problem is if someone visits for the first time... it's kinda awkward when they first see them... "you play guitar, huh?" is a common remark. "Uh, yeh."

Storing the cases is no fun either... but it's a price you have to pay. :eek:

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

I'm scared of those wall-hangers....

I put my Suhr back in the case because I turn the heat off while I'm at work, and then I like to be WARM when I'm at home, so it's probably not a good thing for it to be exposed to a temperature sweep like that.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I will leave one out that`s designated for that purpose, but the gems stay in the cases. When I see the amount of dust I have to tend to, I`d rather not have the guitars dealing with that-I get really busy and can`t always keep up with it.

I don`t trust wall hangers either, especially not around these parts-earthquake-prone, ya know...

Originally posted by guitplayer:

If you have more than a couple guitars. Do you keep them out on stands or something most of the time, or do you keep them in their cases?

I prefer to have most of my guitars out so I can grab one anytime...

How 'bout you?

guitplayer

Me too...plus, it's a great way to piss off the wife! ;)
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Right now I've got 4 that stay out on stands.The number varies from time to time,usually dictated by which ones need some work.
jgc2002 is not responsible for damages ,injuries and or death as result of above post.Side effects include nasuea,dizziness,dry mouth,vomiting,blurred vision,nervousness,loss of memory and in extreme cases sexual side effects. www.mp3.com/salt_creek

I have them scattered through the house. My PRS' usually stay in the cases and only come out for maintenance and gigs. The rest are either hanging on the wall in my studio (I have room for 6 at a time there), on stands in the family room (I usually have 1 accoustic and 1 electric there), on a chair in "the clean room", or on stands in the studio (when I have more than 6 in there :) ).

All of my guitars are hung on the walls of my studio with hangers by String Swing. I keep the humidity at 45-50% and have had no problems. I like to grab a guitar as the mood strikes.

Taylor K65CE

Froggy Bottom F-12

Martin D-41

Huss & Dalton OM Custom

Charis SJ Brazilian/Red Western Cedar

Taylor XXX-BE

'59 Les Paul Reissue

Peter Frampton Les Paul

'62 Jazz Bass Reissue

Gibson J-160e

Hofner '62 Bass

Ric 350V63

Ric 360v64/12

Ric 4001VP Fireglo

Gretsch '62 Tennessean Rose

Grtesch '62 County Gentleman SP

Epi John Lennon Revolution

Godin Mlutiac

Anderson Hollow Classic Drop Top Custom

PRS Custom 22 10 Top

G&L ASAT Classic

G&L Comanche Butterscoth Flame

'57 Fender Strat Reissue

Eric Clapton Strat

40th Anniv. Fender Start

'76 Strat

'61 SG Reissue

Originally posted by Compact Diss:

I too have the kid problem but worse I have a cat who eats wires.

Weird cat.

I had a dog that did that once... chewed through my kids playstation cord... it was still plugged in and on... dog never did it again. To this day he won't go near the playstation.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I've outed all my guitars. They are on hangers and I keep one (rotated) in the living room, behind my entertainment speakers. It's there so I can grag it easily if I'm going to throw something on the barby or twiddle with when I'm downstairs.

The only thing in a case is my mandolin & it hardly ever gets played. Jeez, I twiddle with a banjo more than the mando & probably 'cause it's "out of site, out of mind".

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Archived