Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Definition of Political Correctness?

TuskBuffer

Possibly: "The good of the few at the expense of the many."

Mr. Spock would be turning over in his grave (if he wasn't resurrected in Star Trek III or IV or whatever)!

What's your definition?

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jim Soloway:

I'm curious. Do you actually play guitar or do you just go around to various guitar forums and post the same off-topic trash?

from what I`ve seen of the tusker`s posts, this seems pretty unwarranted.

Political correctness is when you don't call a spade a spade. You call it "suit challenged."

It's when you're careful not to say anything or call anyone something that might be construed as offensive to those who take themselves far more seriously than deserved.

Trying to think of "nice" ways of referring to someone or something that isn't really all that nice. Like "visually challenged" instead of "blind", or "vertically challenged" instead of "short".

In "short", the pussification of plain old english...

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

whitefang-

what you`re referring to is the reducto (sp?) ad absurdum of `political correctness`. The very term itself is a putdown, coined by people like students at Texas A&M U., who wouldn`t understand why celebrating Martin Luther King`s birthday by having a `come as your favorite Black stereotype` party isn`t hilarious. `Political correctness` or affirmative action for assholes-make your own choice.

Skip, I respectfully disagree.

The term is, "political correctness." Break it down.

Correcting yourself for purely political motives. Sometimes you'll change a term because it is truly offensive. Political correctness assumes you're going far above and beyond consideration to protect someone's feelings. Empathy and compassion are good things to exhibit when dealing with people from other backgrounds, especially those unfamiliar to you.

I believe Whitefang hit it on the head when he wrote:

Trying to think of "nice" ways of referring to someone or something that isn't really all that nice. Like "visually challenged" instead of "blind", or "vertically challenged" instead of "short".
A "Waste Management Engineer" is not an engineer at all. He/She is a garbage man. I'm sorry that doesn't make them happy to share with others, but that's not my problem. Hell, I don't even call myself a sound engineer. The proper term is sound mixer. Like 90% of sound pro's I've encountered, I have no electronics or design background that would qualify me as an engineer. I tip my hat to the George Massenburg's of the world who understand much of what occurs in various sound related, electronic circuits. As I'm not one of them, It would false to say otherwise.

How many African-Americans do you know? Not many, I'm guessing. But lots of people call themselves African-American when they're not. They're Americans, probably of African decent. Whoopi Goldberg despises the term because she understands the difference. To paraphrase, she said she's been to Africa. Those aren't her people. She has only one basic trait in common with most Africans. Black skin.

Most black americans have no more idea where their families came from than I do about how my family ended up in Russia and Poland before immigrating to the U.S. almost 100 years ago.

Political Correctness, IMO, is defined as "the reducto (sp?) ad absurdum". There is no part of political correctness that is reasonable. As I previously stated, that is defined as being considerate of others and their culture and background.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious. Do you actually play guitar or do you just go around to various guitar forums and post the same off-topic trash?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Skip:

from what I`ve seen of the tusker`s posts, this seems pretty unwarranted.

I agree with Skip. :cry: , or you have to wear a motorcycle helmet when riding one :( , etc., etc.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

If my comment was unwarranted, then he has my apology, but he posted the same thing along with some other off topic posts on another forum and I was quite taken aback to find it here as well.

And to respond to his original question, I find it not at all surprising how often the opposition to "political correctness" turns out to be little more than a mask for overt rudeness and racism.

The topic police again. Holy smokes...I work as a meteorologist, but if I did nothing but talk weather all day at work...I'd go fricking crazy.

And, I agree with Neil et al. One doesn't have to be "politically correct" to oppose racism.

Ya know what African-American artist I happen to think is pretty good? Dave Matthews. He's from South Africa. He's white. The rest of his band, I believe are from Virginia. They're mostly black. They're Black Americans. Dave is the "African-American" in the group.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

"Politicaly Correct" is a term that (mostly) concervatives use to dismiss any criticism of their beliefs or policies.

Examples of liberal institutional policies that went way out control were largely restricted to universities and colleges in the early 1990s.

The term remains a favorite of right-wing comentators and politicos.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Yes, I play guitar, although not as well as I'd like........I guess you could say I'm "musically challenged." I LOVE to play the darn thing, though! Sorry I upset you so, but I'd had a really raunchy day at work regarding the subject and I was venting my rage. Let me tell you, I was seeing red, and I was just wanted to make sure I wasn't alone in my disgust of the "system."

I'm usually in this forum, but the other one you saw me in is a bit more active, so I posted the question there, also. I hope I didn't offend.......

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

in some ways I wish I hadn`t commented, at least without saying first that there are some truly stupid cases of overkill that amount to censorship-these deserve all the criticism they get. But it doesn`t excuse blatantly trash mouth, obnoxious human thistles like mush limberger and

other name-calling psuedo pundits. And I dare say if it wasn`t for the attitude change regarding verbal assaults, there would be NO sexual harrassment laws that didn`t include physical assault or intimidation.

Originally posted by skip:

in some ways I wish I hadn`t commented, at least without saying first that there are some truly stupid cases of overkill that amount to censorship-these deserve all the criticism they get. But it doesn`t excuse blatantly trash mouth, obnoxious human thistles like mush limberger and

other name-calling psuedo pundits. And I dare say if it wasn`t for the attitude change regarding verbal assaults, there would be NO sexual harrassment laws that didn`t include physical assault or intimidation.

I'll go along with overkill. It happened with the advent of women's liberation, and those silly "Zero Tolerance" laws. Like the zero tolerance for drugs policies in schools that wind up suspending girls for carrying Mydol, or the same policies for weapons that expelled at least one kid in the third grade because his Mom put a plastic fork in his lunch so he could eat his tuna casserol. For some reason, in this country, what starts out as a good idea winds up being carried to ridiculous extremes.

Same with the whole "Political Correctness" comcept.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I think the rationalization is that some of the (politically incorrect) labels are associated with hate, or originated with people or groups trying to convey hate or disrespect.

Back in the 60s the term Negro became unacceptable because of its connection to slavery and slave owners. African-American doesn't provide any more clarity, but it breaks that connection.

In my opinion there are three primary problems here. The biggest problem is that people are too sensitive to things like labels. We see it all the time in music, musicians don't want their music to be classified, maybe it confines them to a category that they don't feel comfortable with. My father's ancestry is Italian, and he never had any sensitivity to people using terms like wop, unless the person was trying to convey disrespect, and then he had a problem with the PERSON, not the label.

Problem two is that there are still plenty of people who are willing to hate or disrespect someone they don't know because they are black, Jewish, Italian, musicians, garbage men, etc.

Problem three is that some people feel that bland terms like 'visually challenged' are a means to convey respect, when in fact they only convey no disrespect. They are neutering the language to prevent hurting someone's feelings. This is related to problem one - this stuff shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings.

Bob C (the C is an abbreviation for a wop name).

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Originally posted by whitefang:

...I'll go along with overkill. It happened with the advent of women's liberation, and those silly "Zero Tolerance" laws. Like the zero tolerance for drugs policies in schools that wind up suspending girls for carrying Mydol, or the same policies for weapons that expelled at least one kid in the third grade because his Mom put a plastic fork in his lunch so he could eat his tuna casserol. For some reason, in this country, what starts out as a good idea winds up being carried to ridiculous extremes.

Whitefang

Couldn't have said it better.

A question for those who believe PC'ness inherently improves our lives and changes some people's beliefs. Should I be upset with Whitefang for his silly "Polack" comment?

I think not.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by whitefang:

...I'll go along with overkill. It happened with the advent of women's liberation, and those silly "Zero Tolerance" laws. Like the zero tolerance for drugs policies in schools that wind up suspending girls for carrying Mydol, or the same policies for weapons that expelled at least one kid in the third grade because his Mom put a plastic fork in his lunch so he could eat his tuna casserol. For some reason, in this country, what starts out as a good idea winds up being carried to ridiculous extremes.

Whitefang

Couldn't have said it better.

A question for those who believe PC'ness inherently improves our lives and changes some people's beliefs. Should I be upset with Whitefang for his silly "Polack" comment?

I think not.

I don`t think the goal is to change beliefs so much, as to stop abusive behavior. Believe what you want, it doesn`t give you the right to scream it in my ear.

As to why things get carried to absurd extremes, I believe it`s a legacy of the age of political activism. A cause is started, a group is formed to advocate for the cause, and invariably, the perpeuation of the groupbecomesthe cause.

Bad habit.

Archived