Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

tone, amps, vintage, blah blah blah

Compact Diss

Sometimes it gets crazy when you are a beginner like me reading all this stuff about amps and tone and sound-man I can hardly play an entire song yet I spend time adjusting my amp until it sounds right to me-I can't even play until I find that right sound (do I mean tone??) I have a Strat, and a Marshall MG30DFX-is this amp good and will give me good tone (is this girl...) or do I have something that once I know how to play I'll feel like I wasted 350? I'm happy with it, then sometimes I feel like my guitar isn't what it could be, should I get new pick ups and blah blah blah...if you can even figure out what I'm talking about let me know. If you want to know what song I'm doing-it's the very fun to learn and not my first choice but the classic Stairway to Heaven, my teacher chose not I. That's another thing, since I am learning this a few bars at a time and so on, have you ever practiced a song so many times that it just drives you crazy? I'm dying for tomorrow so I can get more parts-yet I have not perfected what I have been given already. And so it goes, my endless journey to become a musician, to be somebody, to be part of the chosen few...the guitar player :freak:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long have you been taking these lessons? Did your teacher give you the sheet music for "Stairway"? I'm assuming so, because I couldn't imagine spending money on music lessons and not be taught to read music. That transcription must look intimidating!

Anyway, if the amp sounds good to you, then what's the question?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Couple of questions for you:

1) Does it take a long time to get your sound with your Marshall?

2) What type of sound are you going for? List specific songs/artists.

If you're trying to get a very distorted, overdriven tone; a strat might not cut it. A Les Paul or Ibanez might be a better choice for hard rock & metal. If you're trying for a SRV tone, then a change of amplifier might be in order (although I'd keep the Marshall too).

If you love the neck and middle tones you're getting from your strat, but don't like the bridge pickup; I'd put a Seymour Duncan JB jr in there, or a Lil '59.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Don't worry about "nailing" specific tones for now. If you get a sound you like out of the Strat and Marshall, you're all set.

Worry about all the esoteric gear shit later on - and the later the better! It's a black hole from which there's no return.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Gabriel you're dead on! The never ending tone quest. Those valvestate amps are big faves of the local metalheads around here. Doubt you'll see a bluesman use one, but who knows. BB uses solid state stuff and kills, so? I'm waiting for someone to say "Its all in the hands", which is the guitar equivelant response of "Use your ears" (referencing best equipment in your studio).

Using what you got, enjoy it! :)

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I agree with Gabriel and Geenard. Just relax, enjoy and learn to play the guitar. :thu: All the "tone" stuff will come later and it doesn't mean crap if you can't play! :D

Practicing is BORING... :( , but if you don't practice you won't be able to do the really fun stuff. Hang in there! :cool:

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Archived